• 1 Post By stevent222
  • 3 Post By Goodgrief
  • 1 Post By Vinnie
  • 1 Post By Goodgrief
  • 1 Post By Goodgrief
  • 2 Post By kipper

Thread: Are Florida cops competent?

Default Are Florida cops competent?

A man who's paralyzed -- and wanted for grand theft -- managed to outmaneuver cops several times before getting arrested.But police in Florida got their man, Terry Keith Yates, after some dangerous car chases.During multiple pursuits to reel him in for stealing cars, Yates, 27, attempted to run over authorities by "aggressively and deliberately" driving his vehicle at officers, according to Pasco County Sheriff's Office records."He is quite brazen, so we are very fortunate that nobody was killed or hurt," said Doug Tobin, a Pasco County public information officer.On April 3, the suspect avoided officers -- some chasing him in a police helicopter -- while driving a stolen vehicle using a stick-like object to operate the pedals. Authorities suspended the chase when the chopper ran out of fuel, the report said.Three days later, a sheriff's deputy spotted Yates allegedly driving a stolen vehicle. The officer made eye contact with the suspect, only to see him quickly make a U-turn and bolt for the rural Green Swamp region of southwest Florida.On April 8, Easter Sunday, authorities attempted to arrest Yates inside his home in Lacoochee. Yates fled in a stolen white Jeep, which he used as a hideout until police eventually caught up with him.Authorities said that when deputies began to approach the parked Jeep, Yates attempted to run over at least two officers. Police fired multiple shots as Yates once again got away.Police captured Yates later that day in Sumter County. They arrested the suspect and recovered a 10mm handgun as well as Yates' stash of marijuana, oxycodone and methamphetamine.

Good thing he didn't have use of his legs!

T

squirt and stevent222 like this.
    Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein
    t Einstein

Default Re: Are Florida cops competent?

Universal problem... Cops can't shoot a target smaller than a barn at 20 feet, much less tires...
    squirt, stevent222 and Country17 like this.

OK, all kidding aside, I must add that other than the cops' incompetence, they have the "legal" system against them. The guilty bastard will probably walk because the flawyers (not a typo) [anything I don't like starts with an F] will use his drug usage as an excuse for his actions.
    squirt, stevent222 and Ms.Diablo50 like this.

Contrary to popular belief, the cops don't like to kill people. Only psychotics do.

I note that they did capture him in the nd with no one getting killed or hurt. That's a result.
    squirt and stevent222 like this.

Couldn't happen here, time they had had a health & safety assessment of the situation and maybe a seminar thrown in, the villain would have grown new legs and be in another country. And even if they cornered him they would get out their wooden sticks (commonly known as a truncheon) and hurl them in unison at the car, whilst at the same time chanting "don't do it again you nasty man" before returning to the Police station for tea and biscuits and perhaps a pie from Mrs Miggin's pie shop next door. Another job well done..

Yes I think they did a very good job at least they caught the guy.

And as Vinnie said: "they did capture him in the end with no one getting killed or hurt." Hell if cops here in California did that that would be an insult.
    squirt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the cops don't like to kill people. Only psychotics do.

I note that they did capture him in the nd with no one getting killed or hurt. That's a result.
    I know that. But if they had been better shots, they would have hit the tires (tyres). The chase would have ended right there.
    squirt, Tsalagi and stevent222 like this.

That is a lot harder than tv makes it out to be. It also depends on the circumstances. If a cop opens fire on a busy street then the cop will have to justify their action since they will be acting dangerously and maybe recklessly.
    squirt likes this.

Cops are supposed to be trained to handle dangerous situations with public safety in mind.
    Marksmanship is one of the key components, next to the ability of assessing the surroundings.

About 10 or 15 years ago, our city issued a "don't shoot" order to the Police Department.

There was a crazy late-night car chase at speeds exceeding 200 kph. The police tried to put a nail strip on the road. Officer Sonnenberg was hit by the car involved in the chase. He was killed. They recovered him in pieces on the road side.
    Soon after, the order was lifted.

Cops aren't gun-crazy. But there are situations, when dealing with drugged-up or insane people where a decision has to be made in order to protect the general public and the officers involved.

Country17 likes this.

What you say is true but the number of circumstances where shooting is a necessity is limited.
    the UK police are not routinely armed yet we had relatively few police fatalities. They are also fairly good at arresting people. This would suggest that firearm use by police is not a neccessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    What you say is true but the number of circumstances where shooting is a necessity is limited.
    the UK police are not routinely armed yet we had relatively few police fatalities. They are also fairly good at arresting people. This would suggest that firearm use by police is not a neccessity.
    Yes, but you had 58 fatal shootings in a country where most firearms are illegal. Could this be the reason for so few police fatalities? An unarmed society still manages to plug almost 60 citizens, of which statistically a very small number of which would be P Cs?

T
    Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein
    t Einstein

First there was the gun registry (which, by the way already existed). Two billion dollars were spent to implement the new one.

Honest citizens registered their firearms, the bad guys didn't.

Crooks got access to the data and started looting homes in search of weapons of choice.
    Then it went further, do-gooders insisted on registering long rifles (thank sanity, that finally got dismantled recently, except in whacky Quebec). More looting and house invasions. Some people were badly beaten up, some died. The cops were slow in responding (I guess they hadn't finished their coffee and donuts).

The flawyers got their share of the action. If a person tried to defend his property, all of a sudden, he's the culprit.

Meanwhile, in some U.S states, just about everybody carries. Amazingly enough, home invasions are extremely rare.
    Go figure! Hmmmm, maybe the bad guys think twice about invading the home old Mrs. Johnson who has a Magnum 357 next to her remote.

What next is going to be expected from the do-gooders? Confiscate rolling pins, cast iron skillets and meat cleavers?

No, I don't believe everyone should have access to firearms. A back-ground check can filter most of the whack jobs.
    But the ideology that every person who acquires a firearm, whether for sport/target shooting is a potential criminal is ludicrous.

BTW, most firearms used in crimes are smuggled from other countries. As far as I know, we don't manufacture Lugers or AKs here.
    Arm the cops, but for Pete's sake, teach them how to shoot!

stevent222 likes this.

Police Offices go through an extensive program for shooting although no one can teach when. And the latest news I hear on the T.V. is why would there be over 120 or 90 rounds of amo shot at one person standing in the street all alone. Seems kind of lame to me even if the kid was on the phone and said he had a gun and was ready to shoot some cops. I'd kinda think as soon as that was heard they would have only one cop shoot the little F**ker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsalagi View Post
    Yes, but you had 58 fatal shootings in a country where most firearms are illegal. Could this be the reason for so few police fatalities? An unarmed society still manages to plug almost 60 citizens, of which statistically a very small number of which would be P Cs?

T
    This is why you don't mess with our police, bad ass soldiers and all that...

squirt and Goodgrief like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    This is why you don't mess with our police, bad ass soldiers and all that...

Cute picture! But I wouldn't bring a stick to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgrief View Post
    Cute picture! But I wouldn't bring a stick to a gun fight.
    Only the crooks have guns here, our cops just play my sticks bigger than your stick...

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    Only the crooks have guns here, our cops just play my sticks bigger than your stick...
    Is that what Romford Lad was training for?