Thread: The Christian Lessons Of Halloween

Default The Christian Lessons Of Halloween

The Christian Lessons of Halloween
    Three things we can learn from Halloween--by way of the Bible.
    By Linda Hoffman Kimball
    I’ve heard all the uptight brouhaha about Halloween. It’s a pagan holiday. It gives the devil more than his due. It lures innocents to the dark side. My response to all that hue and cry is, "Lighten up!" There are spiritual lessons—scriptural lessons—amid all the tricks and treats of this holiday.

Lesson One: Diversity Is Good--in Candy Sacks and Community

All kids have a rating scale for a neighborhood's trick-or-treating. Where could we make an efficient but abundant haul? Which neighbors gave the most candy? To my mind, the best ones were those who gave full-size Three Musketeers bars. My sister preferred Good 'n' Plenty. My friend loved Mounds. How anyone could prefer licorice or coconut to chocolate was beyond me, but it made for very satisfying swapping as we counted and sorted afterwards. In a small, snack-sized way, I learned that difference and diversity were important in creating a happy whole.

Herein lies the first lesson, my version of 1 Corinthians 12:17 ("If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell?"): If the whole body were a Three Musketeers Bar, where were the Good 'n' Plenty? And if the whole were Good 'n' Plenty, where were the Mounds? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. ...now are they many members, yet one body. Lesson Two: Overcoming Fear Pays Off

When I was little, I was normally scared of going up to doors of neighbors my parents knew but I didn’t. But Halloween gave me a legitimate reason--indeed, a candy mandate--to venture beyond my comfort zone. On that night, I overcame my shyness and talked to grown-ups. (Granted, the script was limited: "Trick or Treat!" followed by "Thank you!")

arrived at some doors at the same time as other costumed kids I didn’t know. This was another source of anxiety. But I started to understand that we were all in this together, so it felt, ever so briefly, like a bond. I drew courage from those kids--and amazingly, some of the younger kids drew strength from me.

Straddling the boundaries of scary and safe helped me know that fear needn’t cripple me. There can be benefits from taking action even while afraid. In Halloween’s case, I developed confidence and got peeks at a greater sense of community and connection, training wheels toward love.

The second lesson is here: 2 Timothy 1: 7: "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Lesson Three: God Loves Us No Matter How Scary We Are

The best thing about Halloween is dressing up. I loved (still do) thinking up costumes. The store-bought options are an easy route today, but my favorites have always been the homemade ones or the really imaginative ones. How pleasant to have three 12-year-olds appear at my door, whack their chests, and have their shirts suddenly turn red with bloody gore. Never mind the cute little fairy princesses marching up the sidewalk just in front of of Hannibal Lechter.

Two neighbors went as a horse. One was the head and front legs and the other was the back legs and rump. Walking was awkward for them, but the costume was a real crowd pleaser. Chieko Okasaki, a leader of great wisdom and wit in the Church of Jesus of Latter-day Saints, pointed out a wonderful parallel about Halloween and grace. She noted that on this day we come in our most outrageous, often terrifying guises (even as the back end of a horse) and what do we receive? Not shaming and censure but a generous outpouring of bounty and goodness.

The welcome we receive on Halloween is a wonderful analogy for the unearned gift of grace we read about in Ephesians 2:8. We sinners approach God, and He looks beyond our nastiness and lavishes love and mercy on us. Don't let Halloween trick you. There are plenty of gospel treats to be had--Good 'n' Plenty of them, in fact!

JUST THOUGHT ,THAT EVEN THO IT MAY NOT BE DEBATE,THAT IT BE IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE LESSONS TO BE LEARNED IN EVERYTHING WE DO AND IN EVERYDAY..THATS WHY I COME TO THIS FORUM,SO MANY LESSONS FOR ME TO LEARN,AND SO MANY BEING LEARNED WITH EACH POST......HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE..HAPPY H ALLOWEEN!

*shakes my head*

Hi talk.

Christians are secure in the Lord.. and by 'playing' trick or treat is just that...playing.
    It does not make or break a faithful soul.

Sinning and living in those sins comfortably is the souls own responsibility. Something no one but the sinner can change.

Halloween customs such as the turnips being carved and lit started from the Irish, who brought their own ways of celebrating what the Church has celebrated for many eons.

Thinking about the souls who went on b4 us, praying for them, and Halloween, was all hallowed eve. The time b4 the days of praying for the deceased...{NOTE: as was also customary even b4 Christ} A plain of existence we still see today...ghosts do exist, and they are departed souls who need prayed for.

Even the Apostles mistook Christ for a ghost, on a few occasions. Once while He was alive, and after His death.

So ghosts have been a part of the world since souls have existed.

The fact we see 'evil' portrayed in the mix is because that too exists. If anything Halloween reminds us of our mortality. For all who live must die, when their life force lets go. The life force known as the soul lives on.

So although some like to scare themselves silly.... all in all, much of Halloween is a reminder {IN America} ironically, that the insight we are given to see death in many ways. Both because we see the trees leaves change and the world is 'dying' in this season for respite during the winter...and so we are reminded in all facets that all things must end.

The unknown is what we are dealing with...and the season gives us hope. Hope we have an eternal life after this one.

Hi hon, love the thread. Thanks for posting.

Ephesians 5:3-5

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity...these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking

Quote Originally Posted by talk2me452002
    The Christian Lessons of Halloween

Three things we can learn from Halloween--by way of the Bible.
    By Linda Hoffman Kimball
    I’ve heard all the uptight brouhaha about Halloween. It’s a pagan holiday. It gives the devil more than his due. It lures innocents to the dark side. My response to all that hue and cry is, "Lighten up!" There are spiritual lessons—scriptural lessons—amid all the tricks and treats of this holiday.

Lesson One: Diversity Is Good--in Candy Sacks and Community

All kids have a rating scale for a neighborhood's trick-or-treating. Where could we make an efficient but abundant haul? Which neighbors gave the most candy? To my mind, the best ones were those who gave full-size Three Musketeers bars. My sister preferred Good 'n' Plenty. My friend loved Mounds. How anyone could prefer licorice or coconut to chocolate was beyond me, but it made for very satisfying swapping as we counted and sorted afterwards. In a small, snack-sized way, I learned that difference and diversity were important in creating a happy whole.

Herein lies the first lesson, my version of 1 Corinthians 12:17 ("If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell?"): If the whole body were a Three Musketeers Bar, where were the Good 'n' Plenty? And if the whole were Good 'n' Plenty, where were the Mounds? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. ...now are they many members, yet one body. Lesson Two: Overcoming Fear Pays Off

When I was little, I was normally scared of going up to doors of neighbors my parents knew but I didn’t. But Halloween gave me a legitimate reason--indeed, a candy mandate--to venture beyond my comfort zone. On that night, I overcame my shyness and talked to grown-ups. (Granted, the script was limited: "Trick or Treat!" followed by "Thank you!")

arrived at some doors at the same time as other costumed kids I didn’t know. This was another source of anxiety. But I started to understand that we were all in this together, so it felt, ever so briefly, like a bond. I drew courage from those kids--and amazingly, some of the younger kids drew strength from me.

Straddling the boundaries of scary and safe helped me know that fear needn’t cripple me. There can be benefits from taking action even while afraid. In Halloween’s case, I developed confidence and got peeks at a greater sense of community and connection, training wheels toward love.

The second lesson is here: 2 Timothy 1: 7: "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Lesson Three: God Loves Us No Matter How Scary We Are

The best thing about Halloween is dressing up. I loved (still do) thinking up costumes. The store-bought options are an easy route today, but my favorites have always been the homemade ones or the really imaginative ones. How pleasant to have three 12-year-olds appear at my door, whack their chests, and have their shirts suddenly turn red with bloody gore. Never mind the cute little fairy princesses marching up the sidewalk just in front of of Hannibal Lechter.

Two neighbors went as a horse. One was the head and front legs and the other was the back legs and rump. Walking was awkward for them, but the costume was a real crowd pleaser. Chieko Okasaki, a leader of great wisdom and wit in the Church of Jesus of Latter-day Saints, pointed out a wonderful parallel about Halloween and grace. She noted that on this day we come in our most outrageous, often terrifying guises (even as the back end of a horse) and what do we receive? Not shaming and censure but a generous outpouring of bounty and goodness.

The welcome we receive on Halloween is a wonderful analogy for the unearned gift of grace we read about in Ephesians 2:8. We sinners approach God, and He looks beyond our nastiness and lavishes love and mercy on us. Don't let Halloween trick you. There are plenty of gospel treats to be had--Good 'n' Plenty of them, in fact!

JUST THOUGHT ,THAT EVEN THO IT MAY NOT BE DEBATE,THAT IT BE IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE LESSONS TO BE LEARNED IN EVERYTHING WE DO AND IN EVERYDAY..THATS WHY I COME TO THIS FORUM,SO MANY LESSONS FOR ME TO LEARN,AND SO MANY BEING LEARNED WITH EACH POST......HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE..HAPPY H ALLOWEEN!
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN HON!!

Ephesians 5:3-5

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity...these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking

Talk, I am with you. Good thread. I liked halloween too. Here is not much noticed here.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL... BOOOOO

Thanks Anna and Laila

thanks everyone!..glad you liked it..some ppl get all upset and say we worship this and that if we partake in halloween..just wanted to show there are good things in anything you do,if you want to do good..thanks for the replys..hugs and much love

Quote Originally Posted by jungleboy
    Talk, I am with you. Good thread. I liked halloween too. Here is not much noticed here.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL... BOOOOO
    Ahhhhhhh! Kinda scared me. DON'T DO THAT! Hehe.

To me, it's more than just "aw it's a good time so why not" To me, it is paying homage to the pegans and following their traditions. I ONLY do things for God as I am His servant so what kind of fool would I be "trick or treating" with my son? I just can't stoop to pegan customs and traditions. I can't follow Christian idolatry. These things in NO WAY have a place in my beliefs and my religion. Some western Muslims may do halloween but not this one. I am removed from traditions, superstitions, following things simply because other people do it, etc. I am united with Allah (SWT) and follow NOTHING but prayer, charity, fasting and most of all, the lifestyle of modesty and devout behavior that Allah (SWT) has commanded of me. It was great! My son is 3 1/2 years old and people were coming to the door trick or treating. I let him hand out some candy, no harm there. Not once did he ask to go trick or treating or for any candy. He also prays with us sometimes and calls himself a Muslim. To me, these are the important things and halloween, Christmas, etc. are insignificant. Now, I do not condemn other people for following these traditions, just choose not to myself.
    The Holy Qur'an IS science. The Bible defies science. Science is PROOVABLE. Take your pick.