Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuns sexually abused

Default Nuns sexually abused

Washington: Forty percent of nuns in the United States have been sexually abused, often by a priest or another nun, according to an independent study's findings, carried by the St Louis Post-Dispatch paper.

The report comes at a sensitive time for the US Catholic Church, which is reeling under disclosures made in the past year about sex abuse involving priests and children.

The survey, conducted by researchers at St Louis University and paid for in part by several orders of Catholic nuns, was completed in 1996 but kept under wraps because Catholic officials feared the information would create a scandal.

It found that about 34 000 nuns in the US may have experienced some form of sexual abuse. Many of the nuns said the abuse left them feeling anger, shame, anxiety and depression. Some attempted suicide.

"These women have been the stalwarts of the church for centuries and a significant percentage of them have been victimised because of the structure of the very institution to which they have dedicated their lives," said John Chibnall, a research psychologist at St Louis University and co-author of the study.

Another researcher, Ann Wolf, said the problem had received far too little attention from the Catholic hierarchy.

"The bishops appear to be only looking at child sexual abuse, but the problem is bigger than that," she said.

Nearly one in five of the nuns in the study said she had been sexually abused as a child. Most of the abuse came at the hands of a male relative, but about 9% of the cases involved a priest, nun or other member of the church, the newspaper said.

For the study, 1 164 nuns representing 123 religious orders completed a questionnaire of 15 pages.

The researchers said the figures were likely to underestimate the phenomenon of sexual victimisation of nuns.

"The fear and pain of disclosure would be sufficient to discourage some sisters from responding." - Sapa-AFP

In between the devil and the deep blue sea!

Doesn't surprise me. Have you ever seen the film 'The Magdalene Sisters'. It is about the 'wicked girls' who were sent to stay and work in a laundry run by nuns in Ireland.
    It is a true story.

{Thanks Sexy Sadie}

Of ive seen that movie, it was unbelievable.. those poor girls.

as for nuns being abused, does it really surprise you?

Nearly one in five of the nuns in the study said she had been sexually abused as a child. Most of the abuse came at the hands of a male relative, but about 9% of the cases involved a priest, nun or other member of the church, the newspaper said.
    Ok, so let me see what exactly the writer is getting at??

That of all nuns in the US, 34,000 [which is the 40% of the total] were abused sexually in their childhood, and of that 9% were abused by priests and of which the total number of nuns which would equal 74,800 nuns and of which 3060 were molested by priests...so this is a Catholic problem???

30940 of the nuns were molested by their male relatives.

What is this specifically about?

Forty percent of nuns in the United States have been sexually abused, often by a priest or another nun, according to an independent study's findings, carried by the St Louis Post-Dispatch paper.
    Where is the percentage of the nuns molesting them, and at what age was this to have happened??

IS this recent? or is as previously disclosed....in childhood?

IF it was childhood, and 9% were abused by priests, and then by nuns....why are they nuns at all??

Would it not make sense they would avoid this vocation?

I did not see rape, so I am going to assume this was in childhood. If not rape, then it is assumed they were willing? Then again, that is in adulthood. Molestation abuse is childhood.

Quite frankly, this is poorly written.

AND I do not condone the actions of such, but this article is absent of logical numbers, and makes little sense to me.

How do they report that 9% were priests, and all the rest were male relatives??
    Where does it report the nuns?

AND how come they became what they feared??

I will pray for them, but this a poor demonstration of good reporting.

This article leaves too many unanswered questions...probably it was the sensationalism that was behind its writing.

AGAIN, this would be humans doing these acts...NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE
    DOCTRINES OF THE CHURCH WHICH TEACHES AGAINST THESE THINGS.

Ephesians 5:3-5

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity...these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking

Angry

Now if the infallible one condones, hides or participates he is corrupt indeed!

"The report comes at a sensitive time for the US Catholic Church, which is reeling under disclosures made in the past year about sex abuse involving priests and children.

The survey, conducted by researchers at St Louis University and paid for in part by several orders of Catholic nuns, was completed in 1996 but kept under wraps because Catholic officials feared the information would create a scandal.

It found that about 34 000 nuns in the US may have experienced some form of sexual abuse. Many of the nuns said the abuse left them feeling anger, shame, anxiety and depression. Some attempted suicide.

"These women have been the stalwarts of the church for centuries and a significant percentage of them have been victimised because of the structure of the very institution to which they have dedicated their lives," said John Chibnall, a research psychologist at St Louis University and co-author of the study.

Another researcher, Ann Wolf, said the problem had received far too little attention from the Catholic hierarchy.

"The bishops appear to be only looking at child sexual abuse, but the problem is bigger than that," she said."

Patty,

I wonder; have you ever heard of qualitative analysis vs. quantitative analysis?

This is a RCC issue as the authors' clearly state the institution HID the issue like they did the child abuse problem. Even your rose colored glasses can not change the manner in which the scarlet ones yet again deceived those they serve, those that serve your God much less God, itself!

Mich

PS. I believe to know and I know I believe therefore I know...paradoxical indeed!

It's been reported for hundreds of years.. why is it such a shock? hell, if little boys are being raped, why not grown women?

It happens all over the world... my grandmother was in a convent during wwii years in Singapore and they all knew stuff like that was going on, coz she was a kid but old enough to know whta was happening... but if you mentieond it or inferred it or anything like that, YOU got punished by the NUNS!

Its so ridiculous - being punsiehd for feeling sorry for and sticking up for the victims lol... i still don't get why she remained catholic after all the bullshit that happened there, amongst other things.

There's beenso many cases of nuns who never left the property turning up pregnant... yeh some may have been by family or other workers, but some got pregnant who didn't see any 'outside' people... of course it was the priests.. who else could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by LaraB
    It's been reported for hundreds of years.. why is it such a shock? hell, if little boys are being raped, why not grown women?

It happens all over the world... my grandmother was in a convent during wwii years in Singapore and they all knew stuff like that was going on, coz she was a kid but old enough to know whta was happening... but if you mentieond it or inferred it or anything like that, YOU got punished by the NUNS!

Its so ridiculous - being punsiehd for feeling sorry for and sticking up for the victims lol... i still don't get why she remained catholic after all the bullshit that happened there, amongst other things.

There's beenso many cases of nuns who never left the property turning up pregnant... yeh some may have been by family or other workers, but some got pregnant who didn't see any 'outside' people... of course it was the priests.. who else could it be?

My mother was a candy striper in high school at a Catholic hospital. She said nuns would come in all of the time pregnant from the priests. I have a hard time understanding why these men even get into church leadership in the first place unless they know it's easy access to abuse. Some of the nuns are no better. One nun told a student that having her period was "an empty womb crying." Needless to say, her mother pulled her out of that school the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by sybarite
    My mother was a candy striper in high school at a Catholic hospital. She said nuns would come in all of the time pregnant from the priests. I have a hard time understanding why these men even get into church leadership in the first place unless they know it's easy access to abuse. Some of the nuns are no better. One nun told a student that having her period was "an empty womb crying." Needless to say, her mother pulled her out of that school the next day.
    i'm not saying the nuns are any better overall... a lot of them are just as immoral people as the priests doing the abusing

but think about it - those influential/naive girls who they tell ridiculous stories like that to are often the ones who end up in convents so it's not so hard to believe that quite a lot end up being abused because they don't know any better...

I'm not saying all of them are like that.. but since the topic was about nun's being abused it was relevant and the stupidity of the actions of all those involved in religious "convents" and the like wasn't really relevant.. personally i think anyone who is part of a convent should do something more useful with their time...

LIKE I SAID MICHAEL...IT IS VERY BAD REPORTING.

It says they were molested by priests in childhood [9%] and yet became nuns??

And it says that 40% were abused sexually??

So is it childhood...??
    OR is it adulthood??

IF adulthood.............. why is it NOT considered rape?

If it is consensual...then why is it an allegation.

YOU see only everything RCC as bad...whereas this whole article makes NO SENSE.

THATS MY POINT!

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity...these are improper for God's holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking

In between the devil and the deep blue sea!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrish

So is it childhood...??
    OR is it adulthood??

THATS MY POINT!
    NO sense? open your eyes man!

{Thanks Sexy Sadie}

Quote Originally Posted by Patrish

So is it childhood...??
    OR is it adulthood??

THATS MY POINT!
    Many times children who are sexually abused are made to believe it's their fault, or it's normal. That's all these children know. If your raised in the RCC, you are taught never to question a Priest, he knows what's best for you. You are just a sheep who can't interpret the Bible so you had better do what he says. If it was consensual, then I think they wouldn't have claimed it was sexual abuse. Unless it's changed there is a vow of celibacy for a priest or nun and when they start engaging in consensual sex, it's time for another line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by sybarite
    Many times children who are sexually abused are made to believe it's their fault, or it's normal. That's all these children know. If your raised in the RCC, you are taught never to question a Priest, he knows what's best for you. You are just a sheep who can't interpret the Bible so you had better do what he says. If it was consensual, then I think they wouldn't have claimed it was sexual abuse. Unless it's changed there is a vow of celibacy for a priest or nun and when they start engaging in consensual sex, it's time for another line of work.

exactly...

but i mean, add to that - consensual doesn't = you said yes, it's not that simple...

consensual = you're old enough to say yes, you're not intellectually disabled, you're not stoned or drunk, you're not under duress, you are informed about what you're consenting to, you aren't led to do it based on something like the person's status - a priest is a very good example of this...

consent means you know what you're doing and why you're doing it.. these 'abusees' mostly don't coz they don't know any better coz they've always been taught to trust priests etc so why would they question it? far as they're concerned by questioning ity theuy're doing something wrong so they have to say yes...

Well Patty, considering your point I don't worry about you cutting yourself...now seriously patty it appears you think I am a dichotomous person when in fact I see more grey then black or white. This is something I have garnered that you don't have the ability to discern. For you reality is black and wrong, white and right! Whereas my reality dictates so much grey I see no need for the black or the white other than to allow the grey to exist.

As so many have pointed out your lack of point and tunnel vision leads you to believe in order to know and you know because you believe, yet without belief you have no knowledge...its a shame you are uniformed of the parallel realities right outside your door and in your face daily.

I bet you still think Bush is a good president and all his cronies that have been indicted and those that are under investigation are innocent until your God tells Bush he made a booboo!

Seems you live in a very isolated world as your conservative brothers and sisters now see the reality the rest of us predicted so many years ago. May your God have mercy on Bush's soul and all the sheep that hired the Shepherd!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelArchangel
    Well Patty, considering your point I don't worry about you cutting yourself...now seriously patty it appears you think I am a dichotomous person when in fact I see more grey then black or white. This is something I have garnered that you don't have the ability to discern. For you reality is black and wrong, white and right! Whereas my reality dictates so much grey I see no need for the black or the white other than to allow the grey to exist.

As so many have pointed out your lack of point and tunnel vision leads you to believe in order to know and you know because you believe, yet without belief you have no knowledge...its a shame you are uniformed of the parallel realities right outside your door and in your face daily.

I bet you still think Bush is a good president and all his cronies that have been indicted and those that are under investigation are innocent until your God tells Bush he made a booboo!

Seems you live in a very isolated world as your conservative brothers and sisters now see the reality the rest of us predicted so many years ago. May your God have mercy on Bush's soul and all the sheep that hired the Shepherd!

if you go back to the very first election - votes were rigged, voters who should have been allowed to vote were refused, tehre were different systems used in different places, dodgy recounts blah blah blah....

lol so i was more thinking that 'the sheep that hired the Shepherd'... 'the sheep that were convinced they hired the Shepherd..."

So true LaraB, so true. It is my understanding Ohio had many irregularities in the last election also...what having your father as a ex-president and the ex-cia director can do for you ehh?

"Anyone with access to the election software of a major voting machine vendor can change the outcome of a national election and determine which party will control Congress. Election fraud can now be committed on a national, not just a local, basis."
    Barbara Simons, Past President
    Association for Computing Machinery.

http://www.crisispapers.org/topics/election-fraud.htm

This one statement is just the tip of the political iceberg!
    Mich

PS. Wonder if any Nuns where involved...*wink!* trying to stay on topic...

Ah a nice little debate going here, but let's look at one thing in particular the fact the these nuns were molested. The article says the study was completed by St Louis University and paid for by several orders of Catholic Nuns. Which says to me that they (the Nuns) wanted a study about it thus meaning they felt that there was or is a problem. Yes the study was completed in 1996 which means that the numbers could be different today either way. some have asked if it was rape well it is rape if the person is under age (in most states that age is 18 or the age difference is 10 yrs or greater). The fact the nuns were molested as nuns does not mean it wasn't rape as a couple here have said they were following the orders of the priest or other nuns. They could have been new to the order and were told that they have to do as the head nun or head priest says. ( insert joke here...lol). If I am correct (and most times I am..lol) there has never been a female pope or head of the RCC. Yess there are nuns that are in charge of schools and ophanages but they still fall under the supervision of a priest or cardnial. Yet again male dominance. So it really doesn't matter if it was during their youth or after they became nuns it still is a molestation and is still considered a form of rape.

Can't agrue with your logic Nubabba!

It is nice seeing your mind around here, please as time permits stop by and impart your views as I am most certain I am not the only one that take them at face value...

Thanks for your input!

Mich

I know this is serious and believe they need some say about their status, (no body told them to join???) No sure of that last statement.

Anyways, my point is, I want see "Nuns with Buns" A'li Larry Flint LOL

Some serious errors in here.

WE listen to priests BUT not in a case where we are morally bound not to.

So if a nun had sex with a priest at his beckoning, then I suggest she was not strong in her understanding of her faith to begin with.

Why would a nun, WHO VOWS CHASTITY suddenly break her vows to GOD for a man? Regardless of his status.

IF you ask me...this is a crock...and I would be willing to bet my grandmothers pension that alot of this has been twisted.

Either those women cluelessly entered the nun hood without an ounce of perception of what vows mean...[then they should not become nuns.] Or they dismissed those vows.

Yeppers...blame the Church for the ppl who join who cannot abstain.

Heck....should this also include all walks of ages. ALL are called to avoid fornication. But the whole Christian faith doesnt.

I dont buy that the women were abused sexually.....
    Not unless they are without a brain.

the Church makes it clear that abstanace is imperative.

Those who use any excuse; priests and nuns included are as guilty of breaking their vows.

This is not what God called them for...and the same reason why men or women should not commit adultery when married.

Vows are vows.

I don't recall reading anything about nuns abstaining in the Bible...perhaps someone can find the scripture for me and post accordingly!

Take the Red Pill! LOL

Mich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast