Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tokentoo
  • 1 Post By AutumnRain
  • 1 Post By Goodgrief

Thread: 15 year old condoms

Default 15 year old condoms

Iíve brought this up before but Iíll repeat it here because of an incident that happened the other night. My wife and I had gone up stairs to bring in the New Year together leaving my youngest son downstairs in the den with his girlfriend of six months. As the ball dropped my Wife and I hugged, kissed, wished each other a Happy New year and afterward headed back down stairs to wish my son and his girl a happy New Year as well. As we walked into the den I observed my son all sprawled out on the couch, no longer wearing his jeans but now was down to just his gym shorts and shirt. His girlfriend upon seeing us quickly sat up, now looking all disheveled smiled sheepishly at my wife and me and wished us a Happy New Year. We were supposed to take her home but I guess they didnít expect us down so soon after mid-night. They both looked guilty as hell, yet innocent in their young years. I maybe should have said something but was at a loss for words at the moment. Happy New Year I said back to her.

I now take you back to another to another time earlier in the year during the spring. I was at one of my sonís baseball games when I overheard a couple ladies gossiping behind me. My ears quickly perked up because the young lady they were talking about was a friend of my Wife and me. In truth, we had met her due to the fact her brother for several years played on the same baseball team as my son. My wife, who years ago, back in high school, was a cheerleader had seen her practicing doing back flips and other cheerleader stuff that I know nothing of and decided to go over to help her. That was how we got to know this young lady, by my wife helping her with cheerleader moves. At every one of my sonís games she would come over and my wife would work with her. To me and my wife she was a nice girl, very pleasant and respectful. We liked her. Anyway when I heard these women mention her name I naturally listened in. What I overheard shocked me a bit, it seems this young girl, all of 15 years old, was now pregnant and had been dismissed from the cheerleading squad because of this fact. Itís at times like these that my mouth often moves before my brain can tell it to stop because I quickly turned around to them saying. ďHuh? Had she not signed the virginity clause in the high school cheerleader contract? I mean common on everybody knows that all of the cheerleaders are virgins arenít they?Ē I was immediately confronted with some extraordinarily ugly looks. It was then I realized, oops these are other cheerleaderís mothers, I probably should have kept quiet. So I quickly went into defensive mode and explained that obviously this young lady had made a mistake, one that will now cost her much of her teen years. It canít be easy being 15 and a single mom. And now her life is going to be made even worse by them taking away one other thing that had brought joy to this young lady, cheerleading. I told them I just didnít think it was right. I felt as long as her doctor thought it was ok for her physically to do it, why couldnít she cheerlead? At this point all of the womenís backs turned to me and it was obvious my opinion no longer mattered. I evidently didnít understand the sanctity of being a cheerleader. No offense but if they think every cheerleader a live is a virgin and pure as snow then they are sadly mistaken. Letís be real here.

Now back to today, my son is currently 15. He has had numerous girlfriends and is currently ďIN-LOVEĒ with this young lady I mentioned earlier, whom my wife and I both like very much by the way. I remember back to when I was 15, I know for a fact, I was not a virgin at that age. I developed the knowledge that there are certain things a young lady can do for a 15 year old boy that are quite enjoyable at a very early age. I also know now, that I was at the time incredibly lucky. I NEVER wore a condom. Never even thought about it. When my hormones kicked in my brain shut off. The thought that the girl might get pregnant seemed so terribly remote to me that it was a chance then that I was willing to take. I canít imagine my son as a father. Heís way too young and unprepared. And like this young lady once did, he has a promising life ahead of him and so does this young girl that heís dating, a life that would be wrecked if he were to get this girl pregnant, of that Iím quite sure. Weíve had our chat. I spoke with him about treating girls with respect and the best course of action to take is abstinence. Iíve told him of my concerns for his future in this matter. But I can also remember back to when I was his age and how often temptation got the better of me. So now I wonderÖwhere and how does a 15 year old boy get condoms? He canít go get them himself. He doesnít drive, again heís only 15, his mother and I take him everywhere he goes. And while Iíd prefer he ask me if he needed them, I really canít see him saying, ďHey Dad can you run me down to the drug store, Iím out of condoms?Ē He knows then heíll get a lecture from me. So odds are he wonít. I also know heíd never ask his mother. I can just imagine how that conversation would go. I read somewhere that a school was making condoms available to students through their counselors. My first reaction was like several of the parents of that school district, one of shock and thinking that the school was promoting sex. But remembering about that poor young girl, Iím not so sure itís a bad idea. Again, I ask, where does a 15 year old boy get condoms or a girl birth control for that matter? I for sure hope whole heartedly that abstinence is the route my son chooses, but I also know and remember those days when my hormones clicked in and the words, ďCome on baby just this one time, no one will know and thereís nothing to worry about.Ē Came from my lips. So Iím curious, whatís your take on this? Should schools provide condoms? Should parents give their children birth control? At what age? Is this sending the wrong message to our kids? All parents at some point talk to their children about this and Iím sure promoting abstinence but is that reality? When the hormones kick in, will they remember and follow our advice? Hell he often doesnít listen to anything else I advise him about, can I expect him to listen to this? Looking back now when I was his age I was lucky as hell, I donít want my sonís future to depend on luck. Whatís your take on this?
    Dangerously Ignorant

Default Re: 15 year old condoms

1st things first..
    Hello Dangerous, and Happy New Year!

2nd... I am not a parent, but here is my 2Ę
    Where do 15 year olds get liquor... where do they get drugs?
    Where there is a will, there is a way.
    He may have a friend who gave it/them to him or her.
    I think if they are old enough to go through the motions, they should be old enough for the protections.
    I know that it not a sure thing of protection against STDs or pregnancies, but an ounce of prevention.....

Maybe a step beyond the talk would be in order.
    Show him, or introduce him to a teen parent who is going through what will happen, and what will/should be expected of him if it happens.
    Ms.Diablo50 likes this.

I felt the same way about my daughter, I didn't want her life to depend on luck, I wanted her to make informed decisions and to do that, she had to have the information, I worked her whole life on having the kind of relationship where she could talk to me about anything, SHE chose who, where, when and how and she was not another teenage statistic (as I was)
    all we can do is give them the information and hope when the time comes, that something we said stuck with them, with the boys, hubby made sure they had protection with them, he bought them and made sure they understood that he was not saying it was ok for them to be promiscuous but that he wanted them to be able to take care of themselves
    I don't think it's the school's place to distribute condoms, but! a lot of kids don't have what my kids had and I have to agree with Token, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

When my daughter of 15 years old first had her boyfriend come over to meet him, that is when I took her into my bedroom and opened up one of my drawers in my room and showed her the box of condoms there that I use. And told her she is welcome to use all that she would like too.
    Yes she lived with me until she turned 19 years old. Was a single parent then.
    Cause I told her also that I know she nor he could buy them and just did not what her to DIE! of something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stevent222 View Post
    When my daughter of 15 years old first had her boyfriend come over to meet him, that is when I took her into my bedroom and opened up one of my drawers in my room and showed her the box of condoms there that I use. And told her she is welcome to use all that she would like too.
    Yes she lived with me until she turned 19 years old. Was a single parent then.
    Cause I told her also that I know she nor he could buy them and just did not what her to DIE! of something like that.
    :O ..My bro is also 15 .. Guess i also..

Jokeroo VIP Status TakinMyLyfeBack's Avatar

I agree with you guys.....an ounce of prevention....I would rather my child use protection....IF I have to give it to her...at least I know she's using it....I was a teen mother, dropped out of school to take care of my son, and my life has been an uphill battle ever since...I do not want that for my child....and although I would rather she waited until she is married and has a stable life, lets face reality, we know that is seen less and less now a days.........so I would rather she have the information and the protection to keep her from being another statistic than to play the blinded mother who has her feelings hurt when her daughter comes home preggers like mine did.
    Home Sweet Home
    I may stray from time to time, and lose my way....
    I know my ROO FAMILY will always lift my spirits and help me find the strength to carry on.

och I dont see the huge problem here...
    buy several brands, sizes and so forth and leave them in his room for him.. tell him you dont mind supplying as long as he is wearing...
    when my lad was 15 he was buying his own...
    my lass was 16 when she first had sex, she told me about it the next day and asked for more condoms... then a week later she decided the pill was more her thing but her and her boyfriend still use condoms... shes 18 now..
    my15 year old daughter told me recently she is curious but nto ready but could we have some ready..... just incase...I have supplied....

I cannot preach to my kids about NOT having sex as i was a young teenage mum... but i can talk to them about SAFE sex
    BigPapa likes this.

I've always been straight with my kids, especially when it came to sex, STD's and pregnancy. My son and I had several heart to hearts on the subject, and even though he assured me that he was not sexually active, I not only pushed the use of condoms, I put them in his drawer...just so he knew where to find them if necessary. He used to hang around with a boy who now, at 26, has 3 kids and is working his tail off to not only help support them, but to pay rent and etc at the tiny little apartment downtown above that pizza shop where he lives alone. My son, on the other hand, not bragging, just saying, has completed unversity and is now enjoying his own little family in his own little home.......he was ready to have a family.....that's the difference. I think that we owe our children a good education, but a fighting chance to make it in this world, and if that means buying them condoms, I say so be it.

You guys keep trying...I'll give you that.....
    Last edited by squirt; 12-28-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: removed quote

The age of marriage might have changed over the last 200 years, but the hormones haven't.
    I say Hurrah to the responsible parents who teach their kids the responsibility of sex and its consequences.
    When I was a teenager, sex was a taboo. Where I lived, condoms weren't even available.
    The result was a tragedy. Raging hormones sometimes took over and girls would get pregnant (they still do), shot-gun marriages, followed by endless years of misery because the church who had its hand in the local government forbade divorce. Those who held true to the rules got so horny, married the first guy they had the hots for. Same results.

I don't condone promiscuity, but the dark ages when people married in their early teens are long gone. Good luck with your teens!
    squirt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Romford Lad View Post
    You guys keep trying...I'll give you that.....
    CLAP, CLAP, CLAP to this guy!

Sumwhere between raise'in hell n Amaze'in Grace

My parents divorced when I was very young and I didnt really get to start spend'in a good amount of time with my Dad till I was about 10 . I woulda been horrified to talk to my Mom about sex and I think she woulda been even more so had I asked lol....her oppinion on it was that in 5th grade when they sent home the permission slip for me to watch the "sex education" movie she signed it and her part was done....it was up to Jiminy Cricket and the rest of the disney cast from there! lol My Dad on the otherhand was much more open about it , and from about the age of 11 on one of the first questions he'd ask me when he'd pick me up was "Boy , u getcha any stinky on ur dinky yet?". At first I was a bit uncomfortable and he's just laugh at how I turned red n rolled my eyes when I said "NO DAD" lol but what that actually did was over time make it such a regular part of our visits that when I DID start dig'in the gurls in "that way" I had no problems talk'in with him about it and he was able to teach me the ropes with me feel'in I could trust him . Now by the time my little brother was at the age things had changed a bit (btw he is now 26 and married with a good job and 3 kids that ARENT biologically his) and even though I assured him he COULD talk to Dad he felt more comfortable talk'in to me . So I basically did the same thing Dad had with me , made sure that he understood how everything was supposed to work and yes , I bought'im condoms and made sure he always had plenty , but I also made sure he understood the important stuff. Like its not a game by any means , and the gurl is not sum kinda conquest . I taught'im that any gurl who was willing to trust him enuff to share that part of herself with him should be treated with respect , and of course that any gurl worth kissing is not easily gonna be kissed!!
    " A Nation That Surpresses its Own History is Doomed to Fail".......Robert E. Lee 1865

Yeah, I know, I've already responded to that thread.
    But the title makes me giggle.

Let's face it, no one should keep a condom for 15 years. Use the damn thing as soon as you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgrief View Post
    Yeah, I know, I've already responded to that thread.
    But the title makes me giggle.

Let's face it, no one should keep a condom for 15 years. Use the damn thing as soon as you can!

Not really, took Koni longer than that to figure how to get one on, by that time his first girlfriend had died of old age...