Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression..

Default Depression..

Ive been diagnosed as having depression..

ive not been doing so well lately

My gp has signed me off work until further notice..
    he thinks my depression is caused by not grieving properly over losing my husband

Default Re: Depression..

I'm sorry to hear that, Liz. All I can offer is my sympathy and prayers.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

Hugs and well wishes for you, This is a difficult time, but you WILL pull through!

they've made great strides in this area of medicine, I hope they find a course of action that works for you!
    *BIG hugs*

thanks.. im fine really..
    people dont like to say they have depression or even talk about it ,, it can be a taboo subject..
    But i am not one of those people...
    I just wish people could understand just because i can laugh, and I smile.. doesnt mean I am not torn up inside.. that all those emotions thoughts etc have gone.. they are there.. just buried a little for a few moments

Sumwhere between raise'in hell n Amaze'in Grace

A.R.......Gurl I have battled this junk for as long as I can remember....and no , its not sum'in I particularly care to discuss UNLESS I believe it go'in to help sumbody out who's go'in through the same ! Its true , they have made tremendous strides in this area of medicine to treat this illness , because thats exactley what it is . The only catch is it takes sum time to find the right combo of meds to match your body and get'in to that point can be a rocky road of emotions on top of the illness itself . Just hang in there gurl , n try not to spend to much time all alone when your feel'in down , it can be a dangerous place to be no matter how strong you are ! I know you don't know me hardly at all but sumtimes that can be a good thing so if you just need to vent gurl please feel free to message me , but no matter what I will keep you in my prayers!!.....B.P. aka Mike
    " A Nation That Surpresses its Own History is Doomed to Fail".......Robert E. Lee 1865

Liz,I hope you don't mind me asking but after you were diagnosed with depression did you lose any if your friends?
    I've had depression for years now and lost an number of so called friends.
    Tae be honest,I was partially tae blame cos I went tae lots and lots of social events then stopped going out.
    Even taking Mirtazapine tabs hasn't helped any but I'm quite certain I know the cause if my depression.
    Hope your much better now,keep your chin up too.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnRain View Post

he thinks my depression is caused by not grieving properly over losing my husband
    Sorry to hear that Liz but probably means you're a genius.
    The greatest people that ever lived have a high percentage of those suffering from depression.

I have lost 3 friends from depression. Please AR, keep in close touch with your physician.

I have a soft spot in my heart for each and everyone of you that has posted in this thread. And, to those of you who suffer quietly alone.

I am diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. In a nutshell, it means that I can
    sink into a depression, or be overly elated, and be in a manic state.

Those that know me well, and of course my family, know this about me.
    I am not ashamed, and if anyone uses it against me, it's because they
    do not understand. Using it against me would be like calling someone
    with a heart condition "heartless". I have no control over my chemical
    imbalance, it's part of who I am.

My history is that back in 1984, while in Germany serving in the Air Force,
    I had episodes of paranoia and breaks from reality. I was hospitalized and
    diagnosed with a "schizophreniform disorder", strapped to a gurney and
    air-lifted back to the U.S. awaiting discharge. It took awhile
    to go through discharge process, and I believe I was at the
    Bethesda, MD hospital for a few months.

After returning to civilian life and my home in Upstate NY,
    I was severely depressed for months.
    Then, in the fall of 1985, I picked myself up by the bootstraps and moved
    to Florida where I've been ever since. My fight with depression would
    not be over.

In 1993, when I started working for a company that had full health benefits, I went to a family doctor and told him some things I was going through. He was quick with his pen, and wrote me a script for Paxil (anti-depressant) and it sent me through the roof in a manic state. I ended up losing my job with the phone company, which led me to seek help with the Vetran's Admin., being that I was classified as a Disabled Vet.

After going through several doctors, therapists and prescriptions, I believe that the medications I have been on has kept me on level ground. It has been trial and error, and I've been through the highest highs and the lowest lows.

Some years back, I was at the darkest time of my life and decided to slash
    both my wrists four times with my husband's fishing fillet knife.
    I know how desperate the lows can be, I've walked that road, and carry the scars.

The reason I am taking the time to write all this, is that if there is anyone who is ever at the end of their rope like I was, please reach out to someone. If you feel there is no-one to talk to, send me a message through PM. If there is anyway I can help and be there.... even if it's just to talk, it would be my honor.

Sincerely,
    Carla (Keta)

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnRain View Post

I just read your post about this depression. One of my closest relative suffers with it as well. She has it under control at the moment. I feel for you sweety. I really do............ If at anytime you need to sound off please do.Please don't hold it in.. NEVER, you need to let it out. Send me a PM or better yet e-mail me @ freedom4feathers222@yahoo.com NOTHING you say will ever be repeated or shared with anyone EVER. Thats how I roll.. My relative is now finally after 35 years of total silent suffering has found her correct meds after a year of trying this and that drug to no avail. So far so good. God has finally let her find some peace. I've been working at a nursing home for over 25 years now and the majority of my residents are fighting the same battle. Feeling lost and of all things abandened by their children, There's not a day that goes by that I don't hold someone in my arms and let them cry untill they get it out or fall asleep. Please don't stop taking the meds. And if at any time you feel the meds are not working go back to the dr.'s and have a check up your body may have become immuned to the drug and you may need a higher dosage or new one all together. Our bodies build up a tolerance to certain things and then they become ineffective. My heart goes out to you sweet lady just remember there are a lot of people here as well at home that LOVE YOU and need you. Don't ever give up. Don't let it win... You are stronger than you really know. You just need to hear it from someone who truely cares. I meant it when I said write me. I know I'm too far away to hold your hand but I can hold your heart in my heart and I won't get offened by what you say or how.. haven't you seen some of my tirades here on the roo? lol lol All kidding aside your in my heart and thoughts from now on. May peace be with you......

You have a huge heart, Ms. D. [jimg]mmti/z3/g/0/b/e/a.baa-.gif[/jimg]

Thank you for posting that info.,,, it's chock full of great advise.

xxoo

Quote Originally Posted by !Keta View Post
    You have a huge heart, Ms. D. [jimg]mmti/z3/g/0/b/e/a.baa-.gif[/jimg]

Thank you for posting that info.,,, it's chock full of great advise.

xxoo

To me depression is just as bad as cancer. It will eat you up if not treated promptly. It is something you can't see under a microscope. It causes more mental breakdowns than cancers. I lost 2 very good friends to suicide because they believed death was the only way out to peace.......... Now there are 3 very young little girls out there without their mothers and we all know a little girl needs her Mom more than their fathers even tho dad is a very important part of their lives it's mom who they can talk to about certain things they just don't feel comfortable talking to dad about....My heart goes out all people suffering from this debilitating problem..

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Diablo50 View Post
    To me depression is just as bad as cancer. It will eat you up if not treated promptly. It is something you can't see under a microscope. It causes more mental breakdowns than cancers. I lost 2 very good friends to suicide because they believed death was the only way out to peace.......... Now there are 3 very young little girls out there without their mothers and we all know a little girl needs her Mom more than their fathers even tho dad is a very important part of their lives it's mom who they can talk to about certain things they just don't feel comfortable talking to dad about....My heart goes out all people suffering from this debilitating problem..

Looking back, I find it hard to believe I would even attempt.
    I will say that when depression leads to hopelessness, there is not much else to see
    but darkness and despair.

I can't be on anti-depressants for reasons I mentioned earlier, but the mood
    stabilizers seem to work for me. They keep the "mood swings" at bay (not that they never happen.)
    Only thing is that alot of times I feel like
    I am just going through the motions, and feel rather "emotionless" for the most
    part. The most important thing for me is to not isolate myself, and staying
    active on Roo makes a huge difference ! Although you are all on the other side
    of the monitor, I don't feel as alone as I would be without you all.

Quote Originally Posted by !Keta View Post
    Looking back, I find it hard to believe I would even attempt.
    I will say that when depression leads to hopelessness, there is not much else to see
    but darkness and despair.

I can't be on anti-depressants for reasons I mentioned earlier, but the mood
    stabilizers seem to work for me. They keep the "mood swings" at bay (not that they never happen.)
    Only thing is that alot of times I feel like
    I am just going through the motions, and feel rather "emotionless" for the most
    part. The most important thing for me is to not isolate myself, and staying
    active on Roo makes a huge difference ! Although you are all on the other side
    of the monitor, I don't feel as alone as I would be without you all.

You are never alone dear lady, Just reach out and LOOK up there is someone always willing to help. The secret is to remember your never alone. Reach out...........

That's just it Carla,it's trial and error taking tabs.
    The mood swings are worse without doubt but when I went tae Airbles Rd hospital in Motherwell for 6 months on a weekly basis I was astounded as tae find so many people with the same problems.
    One of the women docs said many folk who are diagnosed with depression seek out places on the Internet and try to cheer other folk up even though they have depression.
    I think it's true cos folk on here are cool on the outside but hurting on the inside,am I right or am I havering?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHendrix View Post
    That's just it Carla,it's trial and error taking tabs.
    The mood swings are worse without doubt but when I went tae Airbles Rd hospital in Motherwell for 6 months on a weekly basis I was astounded as tae find so many people with the same problems.
    One of the women docs said many folk who are diagnosed with depression seek out places on the Internet and try to cheer other folk up even though they have depression.
    I think it's true cos folk on here are cool on the outside but hurting on the inside,am I right or am I havering?
    True, Tony. Some of the funniest and happiest people can be the saddest, and humor can be a deceptive mask. The only way to know, is if the person opens up and is honest. (Which Autumn Rain did in her opening posts, and others after her)

This may be a website, but it is real people, interacting with each other.
    Someone once told me that Roo wasn't real, and poking at members was fun.
    I have zero tolerance when I see a cyber bully in operation.

Hope this can be a thread to come in to share and support each other.

Just a little story ~

A couple of years ago, I took a road trip to Pine Island. I had to cross the Sunshine Skyway bridge, where many souls have leaped to their death. When I got to the top, I
    prayed to God, and said that if I could ever help anyone at the end of their rope,
    I am making myself available. When I got home, one of the first things my husband did
    was take me over to the computer to show me a picture put up for a screen saver that a friend had sent him :

[jimg]mn4m/z3/w/6/b/e/a.baa-.jpg[/jimg]

It took my breath away, and confirmed that God hears and knows our heart.

Carla

The worst part of depression is that the more you need help, the more you isolate. You can tell that I'm fine at the moment, because I can talk it. When I went to a therapist for the first time, she asked me if I was suicidal and my reply was that I didn't want to live but it was too much trouble to do anything about it. (No, that is NOT how I got my screen-name! lol) Anyway, I agree that maybe we should keep this going. It might be just the nudge someone needs.

That is SO true, and I know full well about isolating myself. And, even when there are others in the same house, you can feel so alone !!

I believe there are practical ways to beat depression and the blues, as well as spiritual, therapy/meds.,..etc.

Here's something just copy and pasted from somewhere... I need to work on quite a few of these:

1.Set Goals
    Something special happens the moment the paper meets the pen and we write down our goals. Our brain chemistry changes, neurons fire, hormones are deployed, and we start thinking about how we can achieve those goals.

2.Sleep
    Getting the right amount of sleep is healthy for our body and mind. Some argue that sleep deprivation treats depression, but I don't buy it. I think it's a cheap distraction that catches up to you within days. Get enough rest.

3.Exercise
    If you're physically capable, try one hour of cardio (or as much as you can). If you're tee-shirt is soaking wet, you're standing in a puddle of your own sweat, and you can feel the endorphins pumping through your body, you did it right. Shower up and try not being happy, I dare you.

4.Forgiveness
    Many times we're making ourselves sad for no good reason at all. People have been known to keep grudges for lifetimes (most religions and nationalities keep them for generations). When you forgive, you remove this weight off your shoulders and put yourself in a position to be happier.

5.Gratitude
    Many times when we complain we can cause ourselves to be sad. Complaining is just a factor of not taking into account what we're grateful for. Sit down and make a list of 100 things you're grateful for right now (and I dare you not to feel better).

6.Sunlight
    Certain people have a disorder, in which, due to a lack of sunlight, they experience seasonal sadness. I'm somewhat affected by this in the winter when the days are shorter. That's why it pays to grab your iPod (or your friend) and go for 30 minute walks each day and embrace the sunlight.

7.Hydration
    This has always been my downfall; I don't drink enough and chances are you don't either. Some days I drink only 1 cup of water, and I feel horrible. When I remember, and drink 2-3 liters, I'm happy as a kitten on cat-nip, and productive as a bat out of hell.

8.Friendships
    Your life force, support system, and everything that matters. It's not hard to make friends if you put the time in. Everyone wants to be heard, appreciated, and loved. Start off by listening, appreciating and loving, and it will come back your way.

9.Reading
    Take a temporary leave from reality and bury yourself in one of your favorite books. A lot of wise people have been through what you're going through and they made it through to the other side to tell about it.

10.Journal
    This could be an escape but it doesn't have to be. You can write about fiction, and transport yourself to another world, or you can write about what's going on, and let your thoughts carry you through to a solution. Many great books were written by people who were, at least at the time, going through a period of pain and suffering.

The spiritual aspect of my life is VERY important to me, and although I know that I have turned my back on God many times in my life, I know
    He has always been there. I believe that he is also there for each and every one of you, and He cares.

This song has been my anthem; have a listen if you'd like.

mountain of God - third day (w/ lyrics) - YouTube

[jimg]mp0v/z3/V/G/c/e/a.baa-.jpg[/jimg]

Wishing you all a great day