Thread: Why don't you take a picture...it will last longer!

Default Why don't you take a picture...it will last longer!

If you havenít noticed I enjoy taking pictures. In fact I drive my family crazy taking them. Lord knows Iíve put enough of them here. (Sorry about that) I find, as I grow older my memory has started to fade some. Slowly I am losing bits and pieces of my past, our past, I forget things such as times, dates, people and places. My boys are forever growing older and so as I slowly lose them to their future, I take pictures to remind me of the good times we had in the past. I take pictures as well to remind me of the many great timeís Iíve had with my Wife, the concerts we went to, the weekend getaways, the fantasy nights weíve shared and to also remind me of the times we just lazily sat around on the back deck reading together or sharing thoughts. Weíve done so many things over the last 30 years together. I simply canít remember them all. So I take pictures to preserve the present as well as my precious past. For me, time hasnít just flown by, it has sky rocketed away from me and due to time and age, my memory has begun to fade. Too many of those special moments have been lost.

The big moments in time will always stay with you. I can still recall being present for both of my sonís births. My wife had both boys naturally, no anesthesia, no spinal tap. I held her hand and tried to keep her focused. I was so nervousness and scared for her as she screamed in pain, her face crunched up and red. I can still remember looking down at her during this time and thinking how beautiful she looked. In her time of agony, she still had a glow about her. Memories like those stay with you forever. Itís not the big moments I fear losing, itís those small moments, the many vacations, birthdays, Christmas mornings, the picnics, laying on the trampoline together taking in the sky and the times my boys and I spent playing in the back yard together. Itís impossible to remember them all but with pictures I can revisit them over and over. Sometimes when Iíve had a particularly stressful day Iíll sneak away, sit at my desk and pull theses pictures Iíve taken up. Iíll drift back over the memories, reliving each one of them and a smile will creep onto my face and my day will seem less bad.

Finally, I take pictures for my family. Iím not in the best of health. I donít want to get into whatís wrong with me, but I figure I have maybe five good years left in me. When my time comes I want there to be some sort of record for them to remember me by. I know they love me and I know Iíll be remembered, but like me, Iím sure my family canít remember all of the good times weíve shared. At some point in the future maybe the pictures I take today will remind my wife or my two boys of some of the times weíve had, times they had forgotten about and I will sneak back into their thoughts. I guess my hope is that possibly one day while holding one of the pictures I had taken, with a tear in his eye and a smile on his face one of my boys will say, I remember this, when Dad and I use toÖ. And wherever I am, Iíll be looking down on him smiling, saying to myself, ĎThatís right son! Thatís exactly why I took that picture.Ē
    Dangerously Ignorant

Default Re: Why don't you take a picture...it will last longer!

Yes I love to take pictures to my friend, really wished I hadn't dropped the camera, HA! I've a drawer full of photos and a gaggle of them on here and on FB. Only wished I had been taking more is all specially when I had the 1967 Kodak, LOL!

As always, always enjoy your writing buddy.

I really do agree with taking photos ~ and as an ex-pro photographer ~ I morn the passing of film into digital ~ because most people now just download ~ delete what they don't like ~ and save the others. before ~ you got the pictures back from being developed [warts and all] and that's why so many 'old albums' are gold dust of history. We are not going to have them in years to come ~ unless people do, as I do, and print off the pics that I've saved ~ and place them into albums with notes about time and places ~ OK it takes a little longer ~ and you have the cost of paper and ink ~ but also you have a record that any one can see years later.

Good for you my friend ~ and long may you continue to do what your are doing.

So true!!

Because of some circumstaces I hardly have any photo from when I was much younger...... and now I realise that the older I get the more it starts to bother me. I had a great childhood and teen years and have a lot of great memories from that time BUT the sad thing is that I can't remember anymore how my loved ones really looked like,.....there are just no faces anymore.

Then again......did I learn from all that??
    Nope!! NO way....zero....niente......forget it!! I hate getting my picture taken!! When we go places,... having gatherings with friends...concerts.....anything.....I always make sure I am the one with the camera taking pictures of other people.......and I am how exactly what Romford Lad said.... when my picture is taking I delete the ones where I think I look horrible on...
    Superficial? moi?? .....when it comes to photos,...hell yes....lol...
    when actually I know that the silliest photos are always the best years later....

it makes me smile, because every time any 2 of my kids get together, they pull out the albums and we relive those special moments all over again, I love the call of "Mom, do you remember when we ... ?" of course I don't remember ... till I see the picture lol I live for little moments like that

It's fascinating to think that all around us
    there's an invisible world we can't even see ♥

Jokeroo Enthusiast pistol packin' mama's Avatar

Oh yes, I have TONS of photos, some in albums, alot in plastic bags, etc. I always had my camera with me at all times. I need a digital one, as the one I have is one of those 35 mm ones from Polaroid, older than dirt but took a boatload of pics with it. For years I didn't take any photos, due to severe depression, but sure want to get back into it again now. Steve's son took 2 new ones of me last week, one is my profile pic. It's the first time in years I even wanted my pic taken..... I'd love to be able to take more, especially when my kids come to visit, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    it makes me smile, because every time any 2 of my kids get together, they pull out the albums and we relive those special moments all over again, I love the call of "Mom, do you remember when we ... ?" of course I don't remember ... till I see the picture lol I live for little moments like that
    Squirt I'm an old sap of a guy! Thinking of you and your two kids sitting around looking through albums chokes me up a bit...Mostly what I get from my boys is, "Hey Dad, have you got $20 you can give me." your soooo right....it's those little moments I now live for!
    Dangerously Ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by pistol packin' mama View Post
    Oh yes, I have TONS of photos, some in albums, alot in plastic bags, etc. I always had my camera with me at all times. I need a digital one, as the one I have is one of those 35 mm ones from Polaroid, older than dirt but took a boatload of pics with it. For years I didn't take any photos, due to severe depression, but sure want to get back into it again now. Steve's son took 2 new ones of me last week, one is my profile pic. It's the first time in years I even wanted my pic taken..... I'd love to be able to take more, especially when my kids come to visit, etc.

Aaaa....Pistol, has anyone ever told you how amazingly close you ressemble looking like a heart? You gotta love it. I know, I know....I look like a strung out Monkey!!!!
    Dangerously Ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerously View Post
    Squirt I'm an old sap of a guy! Thinking of you and your two kids sitting around looking through albums chokes me up a bit...Mostly what I get from my boys is, "Hey Dad, have you got $20 you can give me." your soooo right....it's those little moments I now live for!
    my kids are considerably older than yours I think? my baby turns 31 this year
    hang in there, your boys will get there!

Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    my kids are considerably older than yours I think? my baby turns 31 this year
    hang in there, your boys will get there!
    Oh Squirt my daughter just turned 33 and the two boys are 30 & 27. If my first daughter would of lived she'd be 43 OMG! (Iam ole'd) had to use the Calculator on the desktop to figure that out first time I really did. And I have no pictures of her and only three of my first wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerously View Post
    Aaaa....Pistol, has anyone ever told you how amazingly close you ressemble looking like a heart? You gotta love it. I know, I know....I look like a strung out Monkey!!!!
    ​Hahahahahaha!!! Naaaaa, a very cute monkey hun!

My oldest turned 36 this last March, and my baby turned 22 this last April...Yup, I feel like an old fart for sure!
    Penny would have been 33.....