Default Re: today's "feel good" story

these are just random acts of kindness

restores your faith in mankind, doesn't it?

*and*

never underestimate a mother's love!

Don't know if this belongs here, but anyways...

made me feel good!

Steroid scandals, murder charges and accusations of autograph peddling. Now how about a good news story from the world of sports?

Four football players from William Paterson University went shopping at a general store in Wayne, N.J., on Sunday afternoon. After spending several minutes trying to locate the store clerk, two of the players who needed sunglasses and batteries were captured on store security cameras leaving money at the register.

Buddy’s Small Lots store manager, Marci Lederman, was taken by their honesty.

“They picked up a few items, and they left cash on the counter and waved to the cameras,” Lederman told Yahoo News. “Who does that?”

Thomas James, Kell’E Gallimore, Jelani Bruce and Anthony Biondi do that.

The NCAA Division-III Pioneers haven’t had a winning season in nearly 20 years, but life’s rewards are sometimes sweeter than those earned on a football field.

“It doesn’t surprise me that they did what they did,” said Jerry Flora, the Pioneers’ head coach. “That’s the kind of kids we try and recruit in here so we can obviously deal with a lot less headaches if you know what I mean.”

As it turns out, the players had unknowingly entered a closed store. Lederman said a lock on the front door had malfunctioned and a half-lit store made it look like Buddy’s was open. Police phoned her to say an alarm had been tripped, but she found nothing amiss.

“They could have ransacked the store. They could have really done anything,” Lederman said. “They were perfect gentlemen. They were looking to see if anyone was here. They looked in the back to make sure no one was lying on the floor dead.”

Lederman was so impressed that she called a local TV station to share the surveillance video, which helped her identify the four young men. On Tuesday, she rewarded each of them with $50 shopping sprees.

“They were just very thankful and grateful,” she said. “They’re nice kids.”

A Heisman candidate might not emerge from Flora's small-school roster, but he has four on the squad who already earned preseason praise off the field.

“For me it’s the total product,” Flora said. “I’m looking for guys that will come in, be here for four years, learn, develop, graduate, become good alums, give back to the university, give back to the program and along the way hopefully have some fun and set a good example.”

GREENFIELD, Wis. —A $10mystery in Greenfield has been solved, and the story has a very happy ending.

Greenfield police said a boy walked into the police department Friday and gave the clerk a bag of coins worth about $10.

Police were pleased but puzzled by the anonymous donation, so they spent the weekend looking at surveillance video from the lobby hoping to identify and thank their donor.

On Monday, Assistant Police Chief Paul Schlecht got his man.

Our news partners at Greenfield Patch report that Maxx Siepert's grandfather was a Milwaukee police officer who was killed in the line of duty in 1974.

Siepert said he had just studied the September 11 attacks in school. He said he learned of the great things police and firefighters did and he wanted to give back.

"Happy I did what I did because, one day, that's going to make a difference," he said.

Schlecht said the donation has lifted the spirits of the entire department.

"Officers are dealing with bad situations or difficult situations," he said. "To have someone come in with that act of kindness, it lifts morale."

Siepert said he hopes his donation will encourage others to do the same.

"If every person would do that, we'd have such a great world," he said. "It would be awesome."

Schlecht said the money will be given to the Greenfield Police Foundation, a nonprofit organization associated with the police department that helps funds the department's K-9 unit, hunter safety courses and Citizen's Police Academy.

When a visually impaired customer accidentally dropped a $20 bill at a Hopkins, Minn., Dairy Queen, employee Joey Prusak said he was shocked by what happened next.

"The lady behind him just picked it up and put it in her purse," he told Yahoo News. "As if no one saw it."

What Prusak did inspired another customer to write an email to the store manager praising the 19-year-old for his calm and kindness. The email went to Reddit, was picked up by the Daily Mail and quickly turned Prusak into a nominee for the Nice Guy Hall of Fame (if only such a place existed).

Prusak, who has been working at Dairy Queen since he was 14, told Yahoo News that he recognized the visually impaired customer. "He's a regular and he always pays with a debit card," he said. "He doesn't use a wallet, so when he pulled out his card, the cash fell to the ground."

After the woman picked up the $20 and put it in her purse, Prusak said he confronted her about it. "I said, 'Ma'am, can you please return the gentleman's money?'"

The woman denied that she took the cash. "There was kind of a scene," Prusak said. "I told her what she did was extremely disrespectful and she had to leave."

She did, but she never gave back the money. So, Prusak went above and beyond. He walked to the customer who had lost the $20 and gave him $20 from his own pocket.

"I felt it needed to be done," he said. The man thanked him, and Prusak didn't really think anything of it, going back to his job.

Flash-forward several days. Prusak's manager gets an email from a customer who witnessed the exchange.

"He said, 'Why didn't you tell me?'" Prusak said, explaining that it didn't cross his mind. "It felt like the right thing to do."

*I see this a lot, adults keeping money that's not theirs and kids giving it back!

Our Soliders

Arlington Natl Cemetary

I may have posted this before but since its the season

as most of ya'll know, I run the Self Check Out station for Kroger and one of the more common things to happen there is people forgetting to get their cash from the cash dispenser, and most of the time, when (and if) they come back for it, it's gone, one of the customers after them took it, so last night, I'm manning the station and one of the regulars was checking out at the unit closest to my station, he turns to me and hands me a $20 bill, saying it got left, there's no way to connect it to any particular transaction so what we do is put it in a special slot in the SCO till, so if they come back, it's separated from the rest of the money and easy to account for, so an hour or so later, the phone rings and after 8PM, it's the SCO cashier's responisibility to answer the phone, it was a gentleman telling me he'd left money in one of the units, he verified the amount and the unit he had used so I told him I had his money and he could come get it whenever it was convenient for him, so I'm working, putting up go backs, tending to customers and I notice this soldier standing there, hat in hand, looking like he was waiting for somebody, so I don't think anything of it and keep doing my thing and a little while later, I notice he's still standing there, so I asked him if there was something I could do to help? he explained he was the man who'd called about the money and had his receipt in his hand to prove that he'd gotten $20 cash back on his card, I've had a lot of feel good moments on the job, but by far, the greatest feeling I've ever had (on the job) was returning this soldier's money to him!

Things like that really make a day great.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.