Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: today's "feel good" story

Default Re: today's "feel good" story

Beautiful Squirt

*tissue warning lol*

Brenda Schmitz, a wife and mother of four boys, passed away from ovarian cancer in September 2011.

A month before she died, Brenda wrote a letter to the Des Moines, Iowa, radio station Star 102.5. She asked a friend to wait to mail it until her husband, David, had fallen in love again.

Every year, the station takes submissions for Christmas wishes, granting a select few. The station brought in David and surprised him by saying they had received a letter from his wife.

“When you are in receipt of this letter, I will have already lost my battle to ovarian cancer,” Brenda wrote. “I told [my friend] once my loving husband David had moved on in his life and had met someone to share his life with again, to mail this letter to all of you at the station.”

Brenda’s first request was a day of pampering for David’s new love, a woman he met in October 2012 named Jane. “She deserves it, being a stepmother to all those boys,” Brenda wrote. “Make her smile and know her efforts are truly appreciated from me.”

Brenda also asked for a 'magical trip' for the family, and lastly, a night out full of drinks, food, and fun for the cancer doctors at Mercy Medical Hospital, where she was treated.

“We’ve been doing the Christmas Wish program for 20-plus years. We’ve never received a wish like this, ever,” station manager Scott Allen told the Des Moines Register.

“It’s not surprising, ’cause the last year and a half she’s shown so many signs that she’s there,” David said, sharing a story of a double rainbow that appeared the morning she died. “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” was her and her son’s favorite song.

Along with the letter with the wishes, Brenda included an additional letter to be given to Jane, who has two kids of her own.

All three of Brenda’s wishes were granted by the station and local sponsors, who sent the family of eight to Disney World.

video link: Husband receives unforgettable Christmas gift, 2 years after wif - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

For the second morning on the trot my laptop screen is all blurry - must get it fixed.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

[jimg]qb6p/z3/H/S/R/e/a.baa-Nick-Simmons.jpg[/jimg]

WASHINGTON (AP) — Nicholas Simmons disappeared from his parents' house in a small upstate New York town on New Year's Day, leaving behind his wallet, cellphone and everything else.

Four days later, an Associated Press photographer, looking for a way to illustrate unusually cold weather, snapped his picture as he warmed himself on a steam grate a few blocks from the U.S. Capitol.

Paul and Michelle Simmons saw the AP photograph in USA Today Sunday morning after it was brought to their attention through a Facebook page set up to help find their 20-year-old son, according to police and family friends.

While questions remain unanswered about why the young man left and how he ended up in Washington, his mother expressed her relief on Facebook that her son had been located.

"It could have been months before we had a lead on his whereabouts. My baby looks so lost and I will be spending the rest of my life making him well," she wrote.

The photo, taken Saturday by AP photographer Jacquelyn Martin, showed Simmons with his unshaven face pressed against a grate outside the Federal Trade Commission. He wore a ski jacket and a hood over his head. A thick gray blanket covered his lower body.

Martin was assigned to the White House that weekend, but with President Barack Obama still on vacation in Hawaii, she spent the day looking for shots that would illustrate the cold weather. That is how she found Nick Simmons, in an area where homeless people often gather when it is frigid outside. She found a cluster of men huddled around the grate, introduced herself and started taking pictures.

Then she noticed one person in particular, huddled under a blanket.

"It struck me how young he was," Martin said. "I again introduced myself and shook his hand. He said his name was Nick."

Martin finished shooting, sent the pictures to the wire and called it a day. The next day, she received a message via Twitter from USA Today.

The newspaper had run the photo of Nick and was contacting Martin to tell her that Nick's family had recognized him and was trying to locate him. Michelle Simmons was certain that the young man in the photograph was her son, missing for four days.

Police picked Simmons up Sunday afternoon and took him to a hospital, said police Capt. Patrick Phelan. Simmons' father, Paul, and older brother Paul Jr. arrived in Washington Sunday night and were reunited with Simmons at the hospital, said longtime family friends Peter and Cindy Gugino.

Martin, the AP photographer, said the episode serves as a reminder to journalists that every person they encounter has a story to tell.

"It's really gratifying to see that a photograph can make a tangible difference in someone's life. That's a really amazing thing to have happened," she said. "I'm happy and touched that the photograph could help reunite this family."

Police said authorities notified local media and tried to investigate the case, but there were no leads until the publication of the photo.

"It was pure dumb luck how all this happened," said Sgt. David Mancuso, the lead investigator. "It's truly a miracle."

sure would like to know how he got from New York to D.C. !

To give someone the gift to Love again after they've passed is truely amazing

Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    [jimg]qb6p/z3/H/S/R/e/a.baa-Nick-Simmons.jpg[/jimg]

sure would like to know how he got from New York to D.C. !
    I wonder that too, and Why when he had family to turn to, sometimes we just get lost

[jimg]qdjv/z3/B/C/S/e/a.baa-awwwww-tag.gif[/jimg]

Story that came with the picture

This pile of blankets was all over the ground filthy, partially wet and frozen having been slept In the night before. I saw a city worker putting the stuff into what looked like a trash can. Then this morning I walk by the same spot and see the blankets had been washed and folded. Made me smile.

Somebody did their good deed for the day. I bet it made THEM feel good, too.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

Quote Originally Posted by Manzy View Post
    Story that came with the picture

This pile of blankets was all over the ground filthy, partially wet and frozen having been slept In the night before. I saw a city worker putting the stuff into what looked like a trash can. Then this morning I walk by the same spot and see the blankets had been washed and folded. Made me smile.

opportunites to help are there, we just have to see them!

bless his little heart

[jimg]qmt1/z3/1/x/V/e/a.baa.1-problem-child.jpg[/jimg]

There was a girl in my school who was much a loner. She was a brilliant student. I mentioned in class that I love classical music.
    At lunch time she asked me to join her in the music room. She sat at the piano and played Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin for me.
    We became friends that day.
    Like me, she was a rebel. Defiant, spirited and free thinking. She never came back for the next school year. Her father had been relocated to another job.
    We were thirteen years old. Miss you Diane!

I shouldnt have read this thread... im all sloppifized now. Just lovely.

Here's my favourite story - im unsure if it is fact or fiction. I don't know who wrote it or when but this is copy/pasted from my "special items" folder that gets transferred to each new computer. I found this yearsssssssssssss ago:

UGLY , THE TOM CAT.
    Everyone in the apartment complex I lived in knew who Ugly was. Ugly was the resident tomcat. Ugly loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and, shall we say, love.
    The combination of these things combined with a life spent outside had their effect on Ugly. To start with, he had only one eye and where the other should have been was a hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner.
    Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby, striped type, except for the sores covering his head, neck, and even his shoulders.
    Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. "That's one UGLY cat!!!"
    All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave. Ugly always had the same reaction. If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around your feet in forgiveness.
    Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love. If you ever picked him up he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.
    One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbour's dogs. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly's sad life was almost at an end. As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. It must be hurting him terribly, I thought.
    Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear. Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying, was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring. Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battled scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion.
    At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain. Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.
    Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful. He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for.
    Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me...

I will always try to be Ugly.

Beautiful add's