Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual news stories,....(Feel free to add)

Default Re: Unusual news stories,....(Feel free to add)

So true, Druid!

Yep, I'm now a dinosaur. Not yet a fossil. I was raised by both original parents. There were rules to obey, chores to be done and respect to be paid.
    I was pushed to do the best I could be. Although I couldn't afford to do what I really could have done, add to that the stigma of being a female in an area and era where the road blocks were of biblical proportions unless you were very rich, I did the best I could with other talents I have.

Meanwhile, my neighbour's son, who is 19, still hasn't decided what he wants to do. He's living in his dad's basement (I call him the Troll). First, he wanted to be a lawyer but gave up that idea when he found out he had to keep his grades high and it took years to achieve. (The kid is smart, but spoiled.) Then, he talked about getting a degree in Business. That disappeared fast.
    Last summer, he got a job doing landscaping. It was supposed to last until late October... Ooops! He got tired of it and didn't like having to deal with some other members of the crew.
    He's supposed to start his apprenticeship as an electrician at the Technology Institute later this month. I can't wait to see what is going to happen when he gets placed with a company and has to pull wire for 8 hours at a time 5 to 6 days a week and be told to carry the supervisor's tools.

He is the carbon based life form you are talking about.

I blame the parents for this. I once asked my neighbour why he was spoiling his son so much. The answer was: "Because I can afford it".

the midwestern state shaped like clothing

We seem to be in agreement, GG.

His parental units have done him no favors in their mollycoddling. When something happens and this boy gets thrown out into the real world, he will be ill-equipped to survive and become a ward of the state. Instead of something that might actually cause him to have to(Heaven Forbid) follow orders, break a sweat, and get blisters, maybe he might be better served in attending some school in video game design? At least when daddy is gone, and mommy is bedridden, the little idjit might have some money to survive on.

Let's see here, at his age, I was mourning my first wife and flunking out of school. The difference here is the fact I knew that what I did had consequences by my fourth birthday. I have had an eclectic life, but I knew to get anything, I had to work for it. I just hope when that boy performs his cranial-rectal inversion reversal, the sudden influx of fresh air does not prove fatal. It's too late for his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by druid627 View Post
    We seem to be in agreement, GG.

His parental units have done him no favors in their mollycoddling. When something happens and this boy gets thrown out into the real world, he will be ill-equipped to survive and become a ward of the state. Instead of something that might actually cause him to have to(Heaven Forbid) follow orders, break a sweat, and get blisters, maybe he might be better served in attending some school in video game design? At least when daddy is gone, and mommy is bedridden, the little idjit might have some money to survive on.

Let's see here, at his age, I was mourning my first wife and flunking out of school. The difference here is the fact I knew that what I did had consequences by my fourth birthday. I have had an eclectic life, but I knew to get anything, I had to work for it. I just hope when that boy performs his cranial-rectal inversion reversal, the sudden influx of fresh air does not prove fatal. It's too late for his parents.
    ROFLMAO! Love your eloquence! The father (neighbour) is a hard-working guy. But he's hardly ever home because he works on oil rigs. The mother, who raised the little troll, lives in another city. The troll was the result of a love affair.

Daddy made up for not being around all that much by spoiling the kid rotten. Bought him a car, told him that if he failed his High-School diploma, the car would be taken away. The troll failed, still has the car and was treated to a trip to Mexico.... The troll eventually had to take remedial courses in a "bad boys' school" (got caught selling pot) to finally get his diploma.

What really worries me is the fact that eventually, the troll will spawn... Hopefully, my generation will be long gone before we see the outcome of the Troll generation.

Ouch! And the neighbor was legally bound for the brat, due to marriage certificate... Oy Veh!

Seen many of that kid, and they are breeding now. The thing that might save humanity is that the spawn rebels against the troll generation like they did against sanity and the pendulum swings back to it's normal path.That has happened before; all that is needed is for the those innocents to search for the answer to the eternal toddler inside ("why?"). I've seen both the ones who keep seeking, and those who shut the 'IC.' up. The later is where the your troll is.

All we can try to do is try to get to the spawn and do better by them than they will -- It's the duty of the Grandparents to fire up the 'IC' and to get the spawn to get to the Kennedy-esque Ideal: Ask not what this Humanity can do for you; ask what you can do for the Humanity!

The Interfering Brassieres -- April Fool's Day, 1982

The Daily Mail published an article titled "Do not adjust your set—it could be your bra!" in which it reported that 10,000 brassieres made by a local manufacturer had developed a serious problem. The support wire in the bras had been fashioned out of specially treated copper originally been designed for use in fire alarms. When this wire came into contact with nylon and body heat, it was producing static electricity which, in turn, was being emitted by thousands of unsuspecting women, causing interference with the reception of television signals throughout the country. As the article put it, "Widespread television interference, which has brought complaints from viewers all over Britain in recent weeks, is being caused not by unusual atmospheric conditions, but by 10,000 'rogue' bras."

The Daily Mail advised women to conduct a simple test to determine if their bra was "rogue": "After wearing the bra for at least half an hour, take it off and shake it a few inches above the TV." The paper displayed a picture of a model shaking her bra above a TV in order to show women how to perform the test.

Hundreds of readers took the article seriously. Among the readers who were fooled was the chief engineer of British Telecom who, according to later reports, upon reading the article immediately called his office and asked that all his female employees be checked to see if their bras were interfering with any electronic equipment.

Default Re: The Interfering Brassieres -- April Fool's Day, 1982

The Daily Mail published an article titled "Do not adjust your set—it could be your bra!" in which it reported that 10,000 brassieres made by a local manufacturer had developed a serious problem. The support wire in the bras had been fashioned out of specially treated copper originally been designed for use in fire alarms. When this wire came into contact with nylon and body heat, it was producing static electricity which, in turn, was being emitted by thousands of unsuspecting women, causing interference with the reception of television signals throughout the country. As the article put it, "Widespread television interference, which has brought complaints from viewers all over Britain in recent weeks, is being caused not by unusual atmospheric conditions, but by 10,000 'rogue' bras."

The Daily Mail advised women to conduct a simple test to determine if their bra was "rogue": "After wearing the bra for at least half an hour, take it off and shake it a few inches above the TV." The paper displayed a picture of a model shaking her bra above a TV in order to show women how to perform the test.

Hundreds of readers took the article seriously. Among the readers who were fooled was the chief engineer of British Telecom who, according to later reports, upon reading the article immediately called his office and asked that all his female employees be checked to see if their bras were interfering with any electronic equipment.

ROFLMAO! I have always been known to go bra-less most of the time. I'm the ultimate nightmare when it comes to electronics-- radios, TVs, etc. I even get zapped by electricity when the finest of meters can hardly detect the waves.
    I walk into a room, the radio goes static. I thought the radio in my vehicle was toast. Hubby drove it all by himself and all was fine.

I have killed watches, a star sapphire and one compass.

A friend of mine, who is an industrial electrician, said that I should never even think about becoming and electrician... "Stick to being a translator" were his words.

Somehow, my computer isn't hating me. That's a relief!

My brother has the same problem Sylvie. He made his own leather watch strap with a lead lining, which allowed him to wear a watch without killing it.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamber View Post
    My brother has the same problem Sylvie. He made his own leather watch strap with a lead lining, which allowed him to wear a watch without killing it.
    ​Happy to know I'm not the only odd-ball.....

No, you are not the only one. My dad carried a pocket watch made by my uncle, because he emitted a low level magnetic field. He couldn't use the car radio; the only way he could use any home electronics is with a ground strap, or have the kids do the adjustments ( on, off, change channel etc.) He could not wear a wristwatch,nor could he use cassettes without having one of the kids flip them. God knows what would have happened if he had a computer. He had a manual typewriter to type out his test because he killed the electric ones; Mom told him if he wanted her to help him on that, he'd have to get her an electric one. I was drafted into hauling it in and setting it up. I wound up with his manual, so I could stop using that 1930's Underwood.

The part of that article that bothered me is the part where "the chief engineer of British Telecom who, according to later reports, upon reading the article immediately called his office and asked that all his female employees be checked to see if their bras were interfering with any electronic equipment." Goes to show that those who can't teach, administrate.

No, you are not the only one. My dad carried a pocket watch made by my uncle, because he emitted a low level magnetic field. He couldn't use the car radio; the only way he could use any home electronics is with a ground strap, or have the kids do the adjustments ( on, off, change channel etc.) He could not wear a wristwatch,nor could he use cassettes without having one of the kids flip them. God knows what would have happened if he had a computer. He had a manual typewriter to type out his test because he killed the electric ones; Mom told him if he wanted her to help him on that, he'd have to get her an electric one. I was drafted into hauling it in and setting it up. I wound up with his manual, so I could stop using that 1930's Underwood.

The part of that article that bothered me is the part where "the chief engineer of British Telecom who, according to later reports, upon reading the article immediately called his office and asked that all his female employees be checked to see if their bras were interfering with any electronic equipment." Goes to show that those who can't teach, administrate.

​Hmmmm, who did the checking?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgrief View Post
    ​Hmmmm, who did the checking?
    Apparently the instructions were in the article. My questions are who supervised the testing, did the ladies actually pull them off and shake the bras over the sets as instructed, and if the boss believed they did without seeing them do so? How could he be sure when Sue reported that Jane and Mary followed instructions, if they vouched for each other? They could have said they did, and laughed all the way to the pub.

They could have pulled that one off in the early seventies. Nowadays, there are security cameras everywhere. You can''t even scratch an itchy boob without the whole damn office knowing about it.

Some factories/plants are very strict about clothing: No metal anywhere, Nomex uniforms only, etc. You wouldn't believe the training that oil/gas companies put their employees through. Mr. G.G flies a desk... Still, he had to take a defensive driving course last year. He aced it! He also had to attend "Bear awareness" classes, every 3 years, he has to renew his H2S certificate.

In the early 70s, I used to work in an aluminum rolling mill. I was required to wear a "bump cap" every time I had to walk through the plant area. The trouble is: If anything ever fell on my head it would have been a 6 ft wide roll of still extremely hot molten aluminum weighing anywhere from 9,000 to 14,000 pounds. Bump cap?

Metals are intricate in nature. Years ago, I broke my ankle. (Bad one!) I ended up with a 5 inch metal plate, 4 screws and a cute scar. Mr. G.G gave me a lovely ankle bracelet! I can't wear it on the broken ankle side! It hurts like hell!

So, if you ever see a woman walking down the street with a turquoise ankle bracelet on her left foot, that will be me!

I can remember all the crap I went through when I worked in the chemical plants back home, and I was working in the warehouse. It would not surprise me at all about the regulations. Every time someone came in, we had to check their hard hats for the expiration date. Some of those older guys with the twenty + years stickers didn't want to replace them. There were several die setters at the auto parts factories I worked at that didn't want to wear any cap while they had up to 25,000 pounds of mold dies on the overhead crane. Not that It would have done any good with the hats they were issued. While I was driving for that welding supply or the gasoline distributors, we had to wear stronger than a bump cap. Those damned things should be outlawed.

That was not a nice and easy fracture, for sure. Between the ankle knee, hip, and wrist, I have broken/fractured/ severely injured almost every joint on my right (off) side One more weather wise ache and I won't be able to get out of bed with sudden shifts in the climate.lol

If I get your way, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I have to admit that safety measures have gotten smarter recently.... Almost to the point of pain! Yes, renewable H2S (couldn't find the way to lower the 2) classifications in the gas industry are a must! "Bear Aware" is a must when you live and work up here. But having to put a desk pilot through defensive driving courses is a bit much! Mr. G.G. was much more into offensive driving while he served! LOL. But yes, working in an industrial environment teaches you safety. I'm a monster when it come to it, even in my kitchen.

Sidebar on this one.... Females should definitely not be working in areas where bears are present when going through their menstrual cycle. The bears are land sharks. They can smell one particle of blood in 400,000! That also applies for campers.

You got me puzzled and God knows I love puzzles! The only Midwest state I could find looking like a piece of clothing is Illinois. It looks like a pair of granny panties or men's briefs!
    As for being a human barometer, I have been one since I was a child. That's OK, it's only pain (as my rugby playing buddies say)! Hang me on a wall, tap my nose and if there's no "ouch" the weather will be just fine.

I hadn't considered that one ... lol No, not Illinois, even though it looks like depends ... I'm in Michigan, in the thumb, across the river from Sarnia.
    Still not as bad as my 4th sister. Mom used to look at her, then order the rest of us to get the clothes off the line before the rain hit. She was the most accurate one I saw.

Thanks for the sidebar. I now know not to go camping with someone in bear country. That is always good to know.

​A mitten or an oven mitt! LMAO!

unhuh my general reaction too.

Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

If the mooses were related, we couldn't rule out a family feud or vendetta

If it was the same moose....then it must be world's unluckiest moose ever!!