Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate hoarder

Default The ultimate hoarder

Mr. G.G is the ultimate paper hoarder. Our house is a disaster. He's got tons of magazines (mostly technical) stacked in the basement. It's getting to the point where there is no space left in this house.

I've threatened to get a condo where I could have some space and keep it clean (of course, as I love him, he would be welcome to come over but not fill my space with his paper). Perhaps getting a paper-free zone would be a wake-up call.

At my wits' end. Do I do it or not?

Default Re: The ultimate hoarder

apparently, nobody wants to tell you what you should do here
    we all know how much you love him, and living with somebody is hard, in the best of situations
    I think you should ask yourself some questions first
    is it a deal breaker? is it something you're willing to live without him for?
    is it really THAT bad?
    my hubby's deal is that he leaves me alone a lot, he's gone right now, was gone when I got up
    there was a moment in our marriage where I had to decide if I could live with it, if I could live without him
    and it was pretty early on
    but living without him wasn't an option

Yes, I love him and will forever. However, I want our house back in a manageable state. It is ridiculous! Stacks of books, magazines, technical papers, you name it, the whole basement and now part of the upstairs are full of them. Had I known where this was going to lead to, I would have read all the technical magazines, challenge the University exams and burn the damned things after I got my Degree.

A bit late too do this now. I really don't want to start looking for a job as a Junior Chemical/Process Engineer at this time in my life.

start a library for technicians

Wonderful idea! I'll let them take all the information they need and won't ask them to return the material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love Ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgrief View Post
    Wonderful idea! I'll let them take all the information they need and won't ask them to return the material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love Ya!
    fine them if they return it!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgrief View Post
    Mr. G.G is the ultimate paper hoarder. Our house is a disaster. He's got tons of magazines (mostly technical) stacked in the basement. It's getting to the point where there is no space left in this house.

I've threatened to get a condo where I could have some space and keep it clean (of course, as I love him, he would be welcome to come over but not fill my space with his paper). Perhaps getting a paper-free zone would be a wake-up call.

At my wits' end. Do I do it or not?
    The solution is actually simple. Mr GG wants to keep all this stuff, you want it gone. BOX IT ALL UP. Get yourself a bunch of matching removal type boxes and pack everything you want gone into it. At the very least, the stuff can be stacked neatly (and he's keeping it, so it wont upset him) - next step is to hire a storage thing to ship the boxes to. He's still "keeping it" but it's out of the house. Next step is obvious... once he realizes he's not missing the stuff....

And no one has to lose their temper, or anything else that really matters.

Brilliant! I wonder if any moving company can provide a conveyor to move the boxes up the stairs. I will have to look into this matter. My next-door neighbour wouldn't mind if I had a moving truck in his driveway for a day or two.

While it may seem lie a daunting challenge, you might consider asking him to scan it all, and save it on the computer and perhaps an extra copy on a massive external hard drive. These days "massive" would still be smaller than a CD jewel case. When he protests that it would take too long, you can gently remind him that he took the time to amass such a collection, and it poses a fire hazard.

Good idea! Have the technology. All I have to find is a young strong geek who wouldn't mind setting up a computer in the downstairs bathroom, he'll be provided with coffee and donuts and an hourly rate and a Oliver North mega-sized shredder and thousands of plastic bags which will have to be brought upstairs and out to the nearest recycling depot.

so... what has happened since you embarked upon the de-clutterization process? Hoarding can be a serious mental condition that is actually tough to treat without using force - and the longer it goes on, the more difficult and challenging it will become...

This one is the INFAMOUS Bondi Hoarder's house owned and buried in shit by the Bobolas family - all nutters. The council has paid hundreds of thousands and needed court orders many times to clean this filthy shithole up:

Quote Originally Posted by 01Aladdin View Post
    so... what has happened since you embarked upon the de-clutterization process? Hoarding can be a serious mental condition that is actually tough to treat without using force - and the longer it goes on, the more difficult and challenging it will become...

This one is the INFAMOUS Bondi Hoarder's house owned and buried in shit by the Bobolas family - all nutters. The council has paid hundreds of thousands and needed court orders many times to clean this filthy shithole up:

Nope! He doesn't collect garbage. In fact all the stuff he hoards could be extremely valuable to Universities and Technical Institutes. The outside of our home is very clean.

We use to save our bills (anything Paper),when we were done paying them and put them in plastic filing cabinets, hubby has tons of magazines he likes for the recipes, wood works, DIY and such. I told him do something or I am burning them. Of course he didn't and I didn't lol so now I scan everything and put them into folders and put the stuff on a data disk or memory stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Debbie View Post
    We use to save our bills (anything Paper),when we were done paying them and put them in plastic filing cabinets, hubby has tons of magazines he likes for the recipes, wood works, DIY and such. I told him do something or I am burning them. Of course he didn't and I didn't lol so now I scan everything and put them into folders and put the stuff on a data disk or memory stick.
    Great idea! I'm thinking about an "Oliver North" sized shredder as well.

You know all those books are online or could be put on one of these,

[jimg]rei0/z3/O/i/4/e/Oi4ea.baa.1-I-only-have-two-of-these.jpg[/jimg]

and still hold couple million more books. And another perk is he can carry it with him to feel all nice and cozzy hahahaha

Several months ago I bought five sticks exactly like that pic. They claimed to have a capacity of of 256 GB each. I copied 150 GB to two of them. The copy process went through without any error message. When I looked at them, they listed all the many thousands of files, but not ONE of those files could be retrieved. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use such anonymous brands. Stick to brand names that have a good reputation. Since that bad experience, I have successfully used two others for less than 10 GB.

My junk is MY junk! My husband asked me *What will I do with all this stuff when you pass over?*

I told him *It is my junk and until I do pass over leave it the heck alone!*

I know that is not a solution but you make very valid points here regarding *junk*!

Donate said mags and lit. to a collage.They can always use it.

IMO, a paper-free zone is just an invitation for him to keep hoarding in his own zone.
    He may be a true hoarder. From what I understand, hoarding has to do with obsessive compulsive disorder. He may either need professional treatment in the form of cognitive therapy, medication or my favorite; a slap upside the head while saying, "Hello!"

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_the_Beard View Post
    Several months ago I bought five sticks exactly like that pic. They claimed to have a capacity of of 256 GB each. I copied 150 GB to two of them. The copy process went through without any error message. When I looked at them, they listed all the many thousands of files, but not ONE of those files could be retrieved. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use such anonymous brands. Stick to brand names that have a good reputation. Since that bad experience, I have successfully used two others for less than 10 GB.
    Exactly - I use (scandisk) cruzer and haven't had and problems.

We have used book stores out here and what we do is we take our old books to the store and get credit for them,then we turn around and use said credit to check out or buy books.We also take the descent books and give them to the library which sells them they may even use the for checkouts if they don't have them.