Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Windows 10 worth an upgrade?

Default Is Windows 10 worth an upgrade?

I am still mostly using my now quite old XP machine most of the time, because it still works fine and does almost anything I want to do. I did some months back get a Windows 7 machine with 8 GB RAM and a 1 TB hard disk, to which I added a 3 TB secondary hard disk, which has all my data. I don't use it often, because some of my software is not compatible. In particular there isn't a driver for my colour laser printer, so to print anything I have to move the file across to my XP one.

The other day when I was using Windows 7 I got a popup from Microsoft saying that, for a limited time, I can get a free upgrade to Windows 10. That is tempting, because then could be a good time to buy a printer / scanner / copier with WiFi that might last me many years. Because my data is all on the secondary drive I wouldn't mind wiping the primary one, which would probably be required in the upgrade (I am not particularly interested in dual boot, which would clutter the hard disk so slow things down).

My reason for starting this thread is to ask whether anyone yet has experience of Windows 10? Is it stable, or should I wait awhile for Service Pack 1?

Default Re: Is Windows 10 worth an upgrade?

Inquiring minds want to know! I am also interested... I am going to need new everything soon, and I think Windows 10 is the way to go, BUT I need to hear from real people about how easy it is to learn.

I get the notices too... My brother who is a Computer Engineer for Comcast told me wait a year before you change to a new OS

I've heard people say its conflicted with their older programs, they had to find new printer drivers and things like that... then I've heard other people say its fine

Myself I like Windows 7 and when the time comes I'll eventually get a laptop that comes with Win 10 as my laptop is Win XP

I keep getting the offer too, but I just got used to 8, why would I want to change now? lol
    Kipper installed it and then uninstalled it lol

I'm still working with XP! I have Windows 7 on my laptop...and I might download it on there. From what I have read, we can download it now while we can get it for free, and install it later, whenever we want.
    Squirt, to answer your question, it depends on how long Microsoft will support Windows 8...I think it will be for quite a while yet, but you might want to check while you still have the opportunity.

good advice!

I experimented on my home laptop. I installed Windows 10 after setting a restore point. The install sets a restore point too, but I just don't trust Microsoft not to cock things up so I prefer to have my own, earlier restore point.

The install went smoothly, but I couldn't access the internet through my dongle (I don't have broadband or a land line), so I reverted to Windows 7 by going back to the restore point.

I would suggest you do the same: switch to Windows 10 and try it out. Any problems, go back to your restore point.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

That sounds like the type of advice I was looking for. It did introduce a problem for you, so I should proceed with caution.

Leave it alone .
    Wait.
    Simples.

I was stupid enough to get the upgrade from WINDOWS 8.1 to 10. I have 2 choices now. It's either pay $240 to get it fixed, or go buy another laptop. It erased many of the DLL files I needed to use the software I already had on it. When the CD rom refused to recognize discs, I could not reinstall those programs. Just about everything else was pretty wonky too.

Whatever you do, do not upgrade to Windows 10. It sucks.

Microsoft are as good at releasing working software as Genghis Khan was at staying home and doing the chores.

​I'll wait until the Beta test comes. So far, all's well with what I've got. I'll buy it if I have to. But Microshit has a reputation for screwing up new versions.

I have it on one of my drives and keep having a play with it, I'm afraid it's not for me. If you have windows 8 you might be ok with it, bot coming from windows 7 or xp you will probably think, WTF is this shite! You seem to have to go around the moon to meet the sun to get anywhere on it.

Thank you for that, Kipper. From what you have said, I will definitely wait for Service Pack 1, at least.

After delving further into it there is a program called Classic shell which makes it look more like windows 7 apparently...

Learning any new system takes time...but I don't know enough about computers to "play around" and coax things along. When I got this machine, XP was a whole new animal from Windows 95...BUT I could turn it off and on, send plain text emails, and visit websites. That was all I NEEDED at that time, and with the help of a few good books and many patient friends, I learned all the delightful things it could do. (System Restore became VERY valuable...and I think I heard that went the way of the dinosaurs. I'm sure there is something else that will do the same thing, but will I find it???)I DO need a new machine, and it only makes sense to get the most updated system...BUT I'm now thinking I should keep the laptop with windows 7.

I love it

I didn't like the separate "app page" of W8
    I like that it's now in the old Start Menu spot
    I like Cortana
    Firefox has already updated for it
    PSP loves it.....colors are phenomenal .

One thing I hate is, after any restart, I have to go back to my settings and reset my control pad because I don't like clicking from the pad, only with the buttons....I hate it when I rest my hands near the pad it scrolls or zooms, etc

Quote Originally Posted by muchtrouble10 View Post
    Learning any new system takes time...but I don't know enough about computers to "play around" and coax things along. When I got this machine, XP was a whole new animal from Windows 95...BUT I could turn it off and on, send plain text emails, and visit websites. That was all I NEEDED at that time, and with the help of a few good books and many patient friends, I learned all the delightful things it could do. (System Restore became VERY valuable...and I think I heard that went the way of the dinosaurs. I'm sure there is something else that will do the same thing, but will I find it???)I DO need a new machine, and it only makes sense to get the most updated system...BUT I'm now thinking I should keep the laptop with windows 7.
    Getting a new machine with Windows 10 preinstalled is an entirely different thing to updating an existing machine. I'd say go ahead, and set it to use the Classic Shell Kipper mentioned to make it look like Windows 7. You'll still have your Windows 7 laptop as a backup until you're happy with the way the new machine does things.

Im not happy with it. but im stuck with it!

Well after living with this on my other drive to learn about it my verdict is, if you're not computer savvy then don't upgrade. I find it is a tad like vista telling you what you can and can't do with your computer. The sign in page every time you start your computer is a PITA, you can get round it with a computer tweak but shouldn't have to. You also cannot turn off windows updates unless you have the pro and ultimate versions, there is also a computer tweak to get round this but as I said earlier, why the f@#k should you. They seem to have complicated things far more than need be. I had an ad blocker on and found out it interferes with the store so you cannot access that, as Bambi said, maybe in about 3 years time when they iron out the faults and peoples complaints it may be worth upgrading..
    The plus side is Edge that replaces IE seems quite a good browser.