Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I, also, need leg surgery

Default Re: I, also, need leg surgery

BAD DOG...NO BISCUITS!

Here I am on the naughty step!

I have a very basic plan on my mobile phone, which normally works well, but isn't good for international calls. I thought I had done all that was necessary, telling Mary tat the surgery HAD gone very well, but the routine follow up ultrasound scan showed there was something "not quite right" with the blood flow around half way down the new artery near my knee that was a minor cause for concern, and might need some "correction". My surgeon called for a different type of scan, and angiogram, performed by radiologists.

Sadly, Radiology were useless at getting back to my surgeon about when they could do that. My surgeon DID chase them every day, and on Thursday had another look with his own ultrasound scanner (not as sophisticated as some) and told me that he now thought it wasn't significant, though still might need a further minor intervention under local anaesthetic to remove a tiny obstruction. After seeing him every day for eleven days straight he took Friday off, but Radiology finally came through with the angiogram on Friday. I had a really lovely guy do that, who thought it right to give me a detailed description of everything.

He was using a very sophisticated x-ray machine (the same one they used for an angioplasty 18 months ago) which has a table for me to lie on with a 'camera' that can both travel up and down that full length and also rotate to view through any angle with 'live' pictures displayed on a six foot TV type monitor. He injected dye to make the arteries very clearly visible. This time, my head was right beside that monitor, so I had a VERY clear view of all the arteries, including the very tiny ones. Having done his job of taking pics for the record to pass back to my surgeon, he went back through it again and carefully described to me everything about the "new" artery".

The original artery is still there, though now doing very little. The new one is attached from the side, to give a large connection to the good part of the original. He told me that my surgeon had done a superb job of connecting, and it certainly looked liked that to me. He was entirely happy that there was NO constriction of any sort, and told me I should be home in time for dinner.

That couldn't happen; my own surgeon needed to make that decision. My own surgeon again wasn't in today, but another doctor from that team did make the decision that there was no need to keep me in. He was happy that nothing further was needed except a routine scan in six weeks time for a further consultation with my surgeon in about six weeks time.

I AM now satisfied that the operation was a complete success on 13 October; they were just being very cautious about something that they weren't absolutely sure about immediately after. I do have pain from the surgery itself (steadily decreasing), though the pain from lack of blood flow had disappeared by the time they woke me up after the operation. I consider myself cured!

Many thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts. I DO have more confidence in my surgeon than MT seems to have!

I love hearing good news. So glad it went so well Geoff.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

that's really great news, Geoff!
    it's hard when we can't count fingers and toes! lol
    it's good to have you back, and in better than before condition! lol

[jimg]rmen/z3/V/O/6/e/VO6ea.baa.1-welcome-back-14.gif[/jimg]

Thank God all is well with you we are blessed dear Geoff I must say ...we all are so happy to have you back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_the_Beard View Post
    Here I am on the naughty step!

I have a very basic plan on my mobile phone, which normally works well, but isn't good for international calls. I thought I had done all that was necessary, telling Mary tat the surgery HAD gone very well, !

Geoff,...Geoff....... Geoff.. Geoff my man...... ....ouch....what can I say.....Be safe...be careful......and most of all......Good Luck.......and oh yes,..this time you really need it......and YES, even more.....this time you ARE in my thoughts and prayers......
    I don't know if you missed it.......but in case you did,...I gladly point it out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtrouble10 View Post
    Most of all, I'm praying he is doing well and will be home soon talking to all of us...and THEN I'm going to "kill" him.
    You thought you had done all that was necessary??.....thought?

Why didn't you blame it on the meds??.......the side affects of the anestesia??....I don't know.....that you have been kidnapped by aliens??...
    Sorry, I can't help you out.... ..you're on your own on this one...

Good Luck!!!! It was nice knowing you......you'll be missed!!

Thank you so much LMP. I started my post saying I was on the naughty step! What I THOUGHT was enough clearly wasn't. I bet if I tried hard I COULD have made an international call using the hospital's phone. Next time I will make sure you all have the number for my mobile phone (+44 [0] 7535 382 833) so you can chase me up when you want more information!

I will miss you, too, LMP!

Next time I will make sure you all have the number for my mobile phone (+44 [0] 7535 382 833) so you can chase me up when you want more information!
    NEXT TIME???!!! Your dear doctor better have done the job correctly...we don't WANT another time!

Thank you so much LMP. I started my post saying I was on the naughty step! What I THOUGHT was enough clearly wasn't. I bet if I tried hard I COULD have made an international call using the hospital's phone. Next time I will make sure you all have the number for my mobile phone (+44 [0] 7535 382 833) so you can chase me up when you want more information!

I will miss you, too, LMP!

That hospital phone would set you back a tenner for an international call, I'd need a General Anesthetic on my wallet to pay for that...

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    That hospital phone would set you back a tenner for an international call, I'd need a General Anesthetic on my wallet to pay for that...
    Even a Grand is not worth, and no hell is more dangerous, than the wrath of a furious woman.
    Let that be some little advice from me to you men!!

so ... how ya doin' over there, Geoff?

[jimg]rnpy/z3/w/d/7/e/wd7ea.baa.1-get-well-42.jpg[/jimg]

My leg is now fine. THe surgery wounds are healing well, and the scabs have mostly gone. There was a curious swelling at the bottom of the wound where they harvested the vein that my GP wants to check this Friday. That didn't bother me in any way - it wasn't even tender, but the swelling is now going down, so presumably nothing to worry about. I have stopped using a walking stick - both legs are now performing normally, though I need to keep up regular exercise to get the muscles back into condition.

Last week I picked up some kind of flu type bug that left me unable to do anything. I had absolutely no energy, no appetite, and couldn't even manage to drink enough fluids. I was still on antibiotics for the after effects of the surgery, which I think may have helped me. I am a lot better this week, though my appetite is still almost nonexistent. I did nothing last week except lie in bed, occasionally reading, but this week I expect to fill a normal range of activities, including going to play music this afternoon.

By the end of this week I expect to be entirely back to normal, able to do all the things I want to do.

By the end of this week I expect to be entirely back to normal, able to do all the things I want to do.
    That is great news..........BUT (yes, always ).......please do NOT rush it.
    Even if you feel that you're back to (for male doing ) normal...still take things calm, slow and easy.....
    Very often we feel like we can do everything as before again......and then 1 day later we regret it so much that we even tried. *Experience expert speaking here*

Good to hear things are going so well. Thanks for the update Geoff.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

music to my ears!

Back to normal is good! Thanks for the update.

where is Geoff?

Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    where is Geoff?
    MIA!
    Seriously, he has been vomiting for weeks every time he ate, and finally was scheduled to go for an endoscopy last Sunday (November 29th). I was expecting to hear from him later that day, but I haven't heard a thing since. I sent his daughter an email but haven't had a reply yet, so my imagination has been working overtime!

I hope you hear something soon

Thank you...Needless to say, so do I!