Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a new direction for Debate?

Default a new direction for Debate?

I've been entertaining the idea of turning Debate into Discussion
    eliminate all the rules, besides be civil, any topic open for discussion
    maybe give us some opportunities to interact more, maybe bring some folks back
    maybe I'm just dreamin' lol
    input?

Default Re: a new direction for Debate?

Personally I'm not bothered. Apart from moderation I rarely take part, I'm here for the fun. Anything that might increase the membership and activity is worth a go though.

Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

I rather like the idea, Squirt. I am so good at rambling with friends, I think a "Discussion" section would be great! Debate was never my interest because of all the battles that seemed to take place but discussing topics of interest would be rather enjoyable and the plus is those who choose to get competitive with their discussions would have that option with your "no rules except be civil" policy. And like Bamber mentioned, anything that might increase membership is worth it.

Works for me as long as I don't have to moderate it, took enough flak as it is.

it's going to be really easy to moderate, and I'm not bowing out this time!
    no insults, no personal attacks, keep it civil or it will be deleted! lol
    sounds like it's worth a go!

I personally love discussing topics of special interest was quite good at it when in high school too. One of my favorite ones was Elvis Presley really sent by Satan to influnce children to the devils ways and should be ban from all radio and television?

Case in point: (see below)

Last edited by stevent222; 09-10-2017 at 06:32 PM.

........................................ ...........................
    Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    it's going to be really easy to moderate, and I'm not bowing out this time!
    no insults, no personal attacks, keep it civil or it will be deleted! lol
    sounds like it's worth a go!
    ........................................ ........................................ .....................................

How many honestly believe changing the name from Debate to Discussion will change the politics of this site? Personally, I am not happy with being on the outside just for being a moderate. Sure, it's all fun and games for the lot to make fun of someone, when that lot is all right-wing. It probably wouldn't be any different if the lot were left-wing.

I am still wondering if the people here think if Elvis was sent by the Devil to disrupe children. Or was he just making good music?

Quote Originally Posted by stevent222 View Post
    I am still wondering if the people here think if Elvis was sent by the Devil to disrupe children. Or was he just making good music?
    He never made good music so he must have been the Devils Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    He never made good music so he must have been the Devils Advocate
    I'd have to disagree with you there Kipper for he did record many love ballads and some pretty jazzy dance songs. Although many of the people in the town I lived in at that time most of the older adults have said only a possessed person by a demon would dance the way he did.

I'd have to disagree with you there Kipper for he did record many love ballads and some pretty jazzy dance songs. Although many of the people in the town I lived in at that time most of the older adults have said only a possessed person by a demon would dance the way he did.

He danced like that coz he had an itchy arse....

Quote Originally Posted by TwiztedAngel View Post
    How many honestly believe changing the name from Debate to Discussion will change the politics of this site? Personally, I am not happy with being on the outside just for being a moderate. Sure, it's all fun and games for the lot to make fun of someone, when that lot is all right-wing. It probably wouldn't be any different if the lot were left-wing.
    you're really good at talking about stuff but never really saying anything, what politics of this site?
    did you ever decide where it was you were being mistreated?
    can you tell me where I said any view was not allowed here?
    did you read the part where civility will rule the day, and anything that's hostile in nature will be deleted?
    and it's not just changing the title, it's changing the purpose, a debate requires you to pick a side
    a discussion only requires you to be polite in your responses, you don't have to defend your stand
    and why do you think that politics are the only subject worth discussing?
    if you don't want to participate, please don't! but don't discourage others in the process, at least until you know for sure what that process will be

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    ........................................ ...........................

........................................ ........................................ .....................................
    looks like it will all be one sided anyway ... easy peasy! lol

I personally love discussing topics of special interest was quite good at it when in high school too. One of my favorite ones was Elvis Presley really sent by Satan to influnce children to the devils ways and should be ban from all radio and television?

Case in point: (see below)

makes you wonder what they'd think of Lady Gaga lol

Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    you're really good at talking about stuff but never really saying anything, what politics of this site?
    did you ever decide where it was you were being mistreated?
    can you tell me where I said any view was not allowed here?
    did you read the part where civility will rule the day, and anything that's hostile in nature will be deleted?
    and it's not just changing the title, it's changing the purpose, a debate requires you to pick a side
    a discussion only requires you to be polite in your responses, you don't have to defend your stand
    and why do you think that politics are the only subject worth discussing?
    if you don't want to participate, please don't! but don't discourage others in the process, at least until you know for sure what that process will be
    I had seen enough responses along the tune of "your b!tch lost! Get over it" ... by Trump's sycophants. The fact that the mods here see nothing wrong with putting down anyone whom does not think exactly like them, is probably one good reason why there has been no activity in "Debates". It's hard for a debate to happen when everyone that remains is ideologically the same.
    Please bear in mind that the old-timers will consider " discussion" the same as "debate", because that's what it's been all along.

I had seen enough responses along the tune of "your b!tch lost! Get over it" ... by Trump's sycophants. The fact that the mods here see nothing wrong with putting down anyone whom does not think exactly like them, is probably one good reason why there has been no activity in "Debates". It's hard for a debate to happen when everyone that remains is ideologically the same.
    Please bear in mind that the old-timers will consider " discussion" the same as "debate", because that's what it's been all along.
    I'll ask you for the 3rd time ... where? show me those posts, please?

you really believe that of Bamber, Kipper, essex and me? why are you even still here if you really feel that way?
    I don't see the "old timers" posing any objections, and since there will be no rules save one, there's no rules to violate, so any opinion or thought is welcome ... as long as it's civil!

TwiztedAngel
    God bless you for pointing out the obvious, or should I say, what should be painfully obvious. But as you probably know, the Nile, is not just a river in Egypt. With the Winter being as dark and bleak as the one we are now living in, I am afraid even hope has lost the ability to spring eternal.
    Fact: The Buffoon in Chief, never met an aging WASP Sexual Predator, he could not DEFEND.
    Fact: Trump and his family are Russian collaborators, which makes their supporters Russian sympathizers.

Quote Originally Posted by bbell View Post
    TwiztedAngel
    God bless you for pointing out the obvious, or should I say, what should be painfully obvious. But as you probably know, the Nile, is not just a river in Egypt. With the Winter being as dark and bleak as the one we are now living in, I am afraid even hope has lost the ability to spring eternal.
    do you have something to contribute, or are you just here to stir the pot?
    an insult is an insult, no matter how you dress it up

Look, I'm just trying to make use of a forum that's just been sitting here, blame who or what you want, it doesn't matter
    if you don't like a topic, please stay out of it, if you don't want to participate, there's nobody who's going to come hunt you down and make you participate
    but the hope is that, at some point, you will!