Thread: To bake or not to bake

Default To bake or not to bake

the USA Supreme Court is hearing the case today about a baker who didn't want to create a wedding cake for a gay couple
    the couple went to a baker for a wedding cake, and the baker told them he would sell them anything in the store, but he couldn't, based on his religion, justify creating a wedding cake for them
    rather than just going to another baker, the couple decided the baker should be forced to create a wedding cake for them
    this is how it got to the Supreme Court
    the baker has a right to practice his faith in any way he sees fit
    the gay couple has a right to not be discriminated against based on their sexual orientation
    does tolerance go both ways?
    should it?
    personally, I don't understand why anyone would want a cake from somebody who didn't want to do it
    I'd happily go spend my money somewhere else!

Default Re: To bake or not to bake

thats a tough one to think about what would i do in the baker's shoes?
    i believe we are to hate the sin but love the sinner
    the baker is running a public service and by law can not discriminate..but his religious beliefs
    are he is not going to support such an event..he did not refuse service to them because he did not have them removed from his bakery and was willing to sell them anything in the store..he just wasnt going to make something
    that was not already on the shelves..which in my opinion is fine

i believe the couple have no right to demand something from someone just because their feelings are hurt
    the couple has made it all about them and their 15 minutes of fame in the news
    i stand with the baker on this..it isnt just some birthday cake he refused to make
    this cake represents the joining of 2 people for life and is perfectly in his right to refuse to make it
    his only mistake was telling the couple why instead of just saying he was too busy to make it

the issue i see is the lack of tolerence from that couple..they can live as they want as long as it doesnt cause harm to others..well by making this a legal issue they are causing harm to that baker's reputation..they should have just gone to another baker that would be willing to make it..i am sure someone in their circle would be able to help the couple out

tolerence has to go both ways or it doesn't work

Or bake them a really crappy, tasteless, cheap icing, flawed decorations, leaning to the side, thin layered cake.
    How can you ever be late for anything in London? They have 
a huge clock right in the middle 
of the town.

RK Said it all for me.
    Usquequaque in fimus; tantum altitudinem varius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamber View Post
    RK Said it all for me.
    Yes RK sumed it pretty well for me also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsalagi View Post
    Or bake them a really crappy, tasteless, cheap icing, flawed decorations, leaning to the side, thin layered cake.
    see, that's why I would go somewhere else! lol

one of the justices, Kennedy, who is considered to be a swing vote, had this to say about the state's case:

“It seems to me the state has been neither tolerant or respectful” of Phillips’s views

but they're not going easy on the Masterpiece baker either, wondering "what if" an interracial couple or inter-religious couple would be turned away

there's no biblical foundation for turning away interracial or inter-religious couples

ruling expected by June ... June? really? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tsalagi View Post
    but wouldnt that still be showing the baker's personal opinion and not is religious views?
    if it truly is about freedom of religion would he not be in disobedience to his God by not making the best cake he could?

Colossians 3:23-24New International Version (NIV)

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Quote Originally Posted by squirt View Post
    one of the justices, Kennedy, who is considered to be a swing vote, had this to say about the state's case:

“It seems to me the state has been neither tolerant or respectful” of Phillips’s views

but they're not going easy on the Masterpiece baker either, wondering "what if" an interracial couple or inter-religious couple would be turned away

there's no biblical foundation for turning away interracial or inter-religious couples

ruling expected by June ... June? really? lol
    but this isnt a what if case..this is the case that is before them right now and the only one that should be considered when making their ruling..in my opinion the other 2 scenarios you mention are not based on religious freedoms as you stated.. the what if's are based on personal feelings and that is not what this case is about

I would venture that the question was to get a gauge on if it really was about his religious beliefs

Other than agreeing with RK's first post on this,, I would say Fuck 'em both - case dismissed

Heck I am still confused why I cannot buy a Cake at Walmart with an American Confederate flag on it.

Steven, go buy a small one and stick it in the middle of the cake..