Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 635

Thread: The Average Age Of Military Man Is 19 Years Old

  1. #81
    Senior Member Tonymak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bush Country Australia
    Posts
    3,887
    Rep Power
    617

    Default Only Nineteen

    This was written about young men who went
    to war in Vietnam..
    The song still rings true today,
    no matter what nationality...
    I hope that you don't mind me putting this song on your thread..
    This song was written in the 70's, by a bloke called John Schuman and performed by him in a band called "Redgum". It became a national hit espcecially among Veterans almost imediately. It is still performed today whenever Vietnam Vets get together for a concert. Royalties from sales were donated to the Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia.
    Just a few things that may help you understand the lyrics better.
    Puckapunyal was a recruit training center and Cunungra is a Jungle Warfare training center. Shoalwater was a place that the Army used for Military excercises. The SLR was the personal weapon mostly used in Vietnam. Vung Tau & Nui Dat were Aussie bases in Vietnam. V.B. is Victorian Bitter a very popular Aussie beer. Anzac is the acronym for the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps

    I WAS ONLY NINETEEN

    Mum and Dad and Denny saw the passing out parade at Puckapunyal
    (1t was long march from cadets).
    The sixth battalion was the next to tour and It was me who drew the card.
    We did Canungra and Shoalwater before we left.

    Chorus I:
    And Townsville lined the footpath as we marched down to the quay.
    This clipping from the paper shows us young and strong and clean.
    And there's me in my slouch hat with my SLR and greens.
    God help me, I was only nineteen.

    From Vung Tau riding Chinooks to the dust at Nui Dat,
    I'd been in and out of choppers now for months.
    But we made our tents a home. V.B. and pinups on the lockers,
    And an Asian orange sunset through the scrub.

    Chorus 2:
    And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
    And night time's just a jungle dark and a barking M.16?
    And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
    God help me, I was only nineteen.

    A four week operation, when each step can mean your last one
    On two legs: it was a war within yourself.
    But you wouldn't let your mates down 'til they had you dusted off,
    So you closed your eyes and thought about something else.

    Chorus 3:
    Then someone yelled out "Contact"', and the bloke behind me swore.
    We hooked in there for hours, then a God almighty roar.
    Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon.
    God help me, he was going home in June.

    I can still see Frankie, drinking tinnies in the Grand Hotel
    On a thirty-six hour rec. leave in Vung Tau.
    And I can still hear Frankie, lying screaming in the jungle.
    'Till the morphine came and killed the bloody row

    Chorus 4:
    And the Anzac legends didn't mention mud and blood and tears.
    And stories that my father told me never seemed quite real
    I caught some pieces In my back that I didn't even feel.
    God help me, I was only nineteen.

    Chorus 5:
    And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
    And why the Channel Seven chopper chills me to my feet?
    And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
    God help me, I was only nineteen.

    JOHN SCHUMANN
    AUSSIE SINGER/SONG WRITER




    Last edited by Tonymak; 09-06-2004 at 06:25 AM.

  2. #82
    Senior Member mcsbluangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,710
    Rep Power
    177

    Default

    That is a great addition Tonymak. My son is 18 and I can't imagine him having to go through that. It makes me cry to think about all those kids going through hell. And all the adults too, the military, civilians, and and all the innocents that are have thier lives and homes ripped apart. War is cruel.

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,357
    Rep Power
    0

    Default


  4. #84
    A Premium Jokaroo'er handymanmike92683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O.C. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    29,972
    Rep Power
    1657

    Thumbs up

    THANX MATIE , LOVED THE SONG , GREAT ADDITION !

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonymak
    This was written about young men who went


    to war in Vietnam..
    The song still rings true today,
    no matter what nationality...
    I hope that you don't mind me putting this song on your thread..
    This song was written in the 70's, by a bloke called John Schuman and performed by him in a band called "Redgum". It became a national hit espcecially among Veterans almost imediately. It is still performed today whenever Vietnam Vets get together for a concert. Royalties from sales were donated to the Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia.
    Just a few things that may help you understand the lyrics better.
    Puckapunyal was a recruit training center and Cunungra is a Jungle Warfare training center. Shoalwater was a place that the Army used for Military excercises. The SLR was the personal weapon mostly used in Vietnam. Vung Tau & Nui Dat were Aussie bases in Vietnam. V.B. is Victorian Bitter a very popular Aussie beer. Anzac is the acronym for the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps



    I WAS ONLY NINETEEN


    Mum and Dad and Denny saw the passing out parade at Puckapunyal

    (1t was long march from cadets).
    The sixth battalion was the next to tour and It was me who drew the card.
    We did Canungra and Shoalwater before we left.




    Chorus I:

    And Townsville lined the footpath as we marched down to the quay.
    This clipping from the paper shows us young and strong and clean.
    And there's me in my slouch hat with my SLR and greens.
    God help me, I was only nineteen.




    From Vung Tau riding Chinooks to the dust at Nui Dat,

    I'd been in and out of choppers now for months.
    But we made our tents a home. V.B. and pinups on the lockers,
    And an Asian orange sunset through the scrub.




    Chorus 2:

    And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
    And night time's just a jungle dark and a barking M.16?
    And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
    God help me, I was only nineteen.




    A four week operation, when each step can mean your last one

    On two legs: it was a war within yourself.
    But you wouldn't let your mates down 'til they had you dusted off,
    So you closed your eyes and thought about something else.




    Chorus 3:

    Then someone yelled out "Contact"', and the bloke behind me swore.
    We hooked in there for hours, then a God almighty roar.
    Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon.
    God help me, he was going home in June.




    I can still see Frankie, drinking tinnies in the Grand Hotel

    On a thirty-six hour rec. leave in Vung Tau.
    And I can still hear Frankie, lying screaming in the jungle.
    'Till the morphine came and killed the bloody row




    Chorus 4:

    And the Anzac legends didn't mention mud and blood and tears.
    And stories that my father told me never seemed quite real
    I caught some pieces In my back that I didn't even feel.
    God help me, I was only nineteen.




    Chorus 5:

    And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
    And why the Channel Seven chopper chills me to my feet?
    And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
    God help me, I was only nineteen.





    JOHN SCHUMANN

    AUSSIE SINGER/SONG WRITER















  5. #85
    A Premium Jokaroo'er handymanmike92683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O.C. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    29,972
    Rep Power
    1657

    Thumbs up Remembering 9-11 / TIMES LIKE THESE.....................

    Last edited by handymanmike92683; 09-09-2004 at 09:19 PM.









  6. #86
    Junior Member honeymorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Rememberance of 9/11




    Signature pic: - LESS

    "Quote": - LESS IS BETTER




  7. #87
    Senior Member jungleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    290

    Default

    GOD BLESS EVERYBODY AND KEEP THEM SAFE. REMEMBER OUR TROOPS AND WHY


    Thanks Anna and Laila


  8. #88
    A Premium Jokaroo'er handymanmike92683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O.C. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    29,972
    Rep Power
    1657

    Default

    A MOMENT TO REMEMBER TO THOSE WE HAVE LOST ...... 911 on this day.






    September 11, 2001









  9. #89
    Junior Member princess2119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    alvin,Tx
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up

    yeah that was a wonderful post... it is very true.. well ttyl..bye

    princess

  10. #90
    A Premium Jokaroo'er handymanmike92683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O.C. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    29,972
    Rep Power
    1657

    Thumbs up








    Let us take a minute to remember the brave men and women of the Armed Forces,who are serving to keep us free.
    They are willing to give their all, and even to die if necessary to preserve this land of liberty.

    Men and women who must leave friends and family
    to proctect ordinary citizens like you and me.

    They give up the comfort of a nice warm bed
    and may not even have a roof over their head.

    They sit in strange places and eat their daily ration
    always on call to protect our nation.

    There may not be a whole lot that we can do
    But we certainly can take the time to say
    THANK YOU!










  11. #91
    Senior Member jungleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    290

    Default

    GOD BLESS ALL OUR CHILDREN AND FAMILY THAT IS IN THE WAR



    KEEP THEM SAFE FROM HARM

    Thanks Anna and Laila


  12. #92
    Senior Member Tonymak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bush Country Australia
    Posts
    3,887
    Rep Power
    617

    Thumbs up

    To all the countries of the willing,
    I tip my hat to you all..

  13. #93
    Member jadeladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    1131

    Smile America

    thanks handyman and to all who added to this thread. America is alive and fighting mad all those who who would hurt us. jadeladybug_stormgoddess.gif
    .gif file, 551x387, 126k

  14. #94
    A Premium Jokaroo'er handymanmike92683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O.C. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    29,972
    Rep Power
    1657

    Thumbs up



    One Amazing Flag! Take a look at this picture! This picture was taken in Yuma, AZ on 9-11-2002. The flag was located at Fry's shopping center on the corner of 24th and 4th Avenue. Seller's cranes were holding it up and people were stopping all day taking pictures.

    No matter how hard people may try to take God out of the government...
    He's Always Right There!











  15. #95
    A Premium Jokaroo'er handymanmike92683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O.C. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    29,972
    Rep Power
    1657

    Thumbs up










  16. #96
    A Premium Jokaroo'er handymanmike92683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O.C. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    29,972
    Rep Power
    1657

    Default Thank You !!!









    To the brave men and women who serve our country we say Thank you!

    Thank you for putting your dreams on hold and your lives on the line,

    in order to defend Freedom for me and mine.





    Click on the angel to buy the pin.









  17. #97
    Senior Member jungleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    290

    Default

    Good one mike

    God protect them all



    Thanks Anna and Laila


  18. #98
    Member jadeladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    1131

    Default God Bless America

    Hey jungleboy....great pic. i'm still trying to get this pic thing to work for me....
    Last edited by jadeladybug; 09-29-2004 at 03:59 AM.

  19. #99
    Senior Member Tonymak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bush Country Australia
    Posts
    3,887
    Rep Power
    617

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by jadeladybug
    jadeladybug_stormgoddess

    Hey jungleboy....great pic. i'm still trying to get this pic thing to work for me....
    G'day
    'jadeladybug'
    and welcome..
    Maybe this will help you get your pics up..
    !!!Goodluck!!!
    Click the button
    Help has been updated to include Uploader problems

  20. #100
    Senior Member jungleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadeladybug
    jadeladybug_stormgoddess

    Hey jungleboy....great pic. i'm still trying to get this pic thing to work for me....
    Welcome jadeladybug. I see Tony already sent you the help link. Thanks and I will see you around the Roo.

    Thanks Anna and Laila


Similar Threads

  1. Just your average Roo guy
    By essex boy in forum Funny Pictures [Adults Only]
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 05:56 AM
  2. Is this the average guy?
    By brilor in forum Funny Pictures [Adults Only]
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 04:04 AM
  3. Just an average day !!
    By Kryten in forum Funny Pictures [Adults Only]
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 10:08 AM
  4. Military Rules for Non-Military Personnel
    By FeistyLaraCroft in forum The Society
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 02:02 PM
  5. Just your average guy
    By essex boy in forum Funny Pictures [Adults Only]
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 03:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •