A new home for Bamber

Bamber

Super Moderator
Looks like I may have a new home on Fore Street. Just waiting for the landlord to follow up on references.

I'm going to have to go out of my way to use this route to work in future, if the move goes through.

It was a lovely walk today but very humid still (92%). It's due to rain between 11 am and 4 pm so I'm hoping not to need to leave the office but may need to if paperwork needs signing or deposits made.

Before the rains
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr
Is you proposed new home much different than the last? I would love to hear more about it if you'd like to share. Will it be much further away from work? How is your wrist today?

Bamber

Super Moderator
Is you proposed new home much different than the last? I would love to hear more about it if you'd like to share. Will it be much further away from work? How is your wrist today?
My new home will be much closer to work: just a 5 minute walk across the bridge and down the river. My current home consists of just 2 rooms with a shower cubicle and toilet. The new place has a small bathroom, kitchen, living room and bedroom so despite being fairly small has a good deal more space. I will need to furnish it myself, but don't need to get more than a bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers and comfortable chair: I have tables for my computer equipment etc. and don't have or want a TV. I'll scan in the rental pictures tonight.

The wrist is getting stronger but is still stiff and gives the occasional twinge but I was told to expect 6-8 weeks recovery time after the plaster came off and it's only been 2 so far.

squirt

Administrator
it's adorable! looks quite cozy ... curious about the move myself lol

xsandos1.gif

Bamber

Super Moderator
I'm something of an expert at moving: this will be number 18. I've learned not to rush and have given myself plenty of time: the rental on both places will overlap by a couple of weeks so there is plenty of time to get myself sorted. I've not got a lot of stuff (don't have the space for it) and my friend Tim the barman reckons he can borrow a van to help me.

I've got ten 80 litre (2.8 cubic feet) containers to use; that should suffice.

Bamber

Super Moderator
When I was a kid my parents moved about quite a bit to make enough money to keep 3 kids. A lot of it was residential work, so they didn't have to worry about housing costs. They settled after 12 moves, by which time my older sister and younger brother had both married and left home; I was the last to move out from my parents home and came to Devon, where I have made all the other moves.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
I'm something of an expert at moving: this will be number 18. I've learned not to rush and have given myself plenty of time: the rental on both places will overlap by a couple of weeks so there is plenty of time to get myself sorted. I've not got a lot of stuff (don't have the space for it) and my friend Tim the barman reckons he can borrow a van to help me.

I've got ten 80 litre (2.8 cubic feet) containers to use; that should suffice.
Really happy for you Phil ~ it can't have been easy on the mind having to find a new place, even with all the experience you have in moving, I truly wish you all the best in your new abode.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I expected to have the tenancy agreement to sign by now. I'll nip home at midday to check if it has arrived yet and if not I'm going to the estate agents to have a moan at them.

**Update** Apparently they are awaiting confirmation from the landlord that the utilities (water, electric) are connected.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
The estate agent won't send the rental agreement out until the landlord confirms the utilities are connected. I won't pay the deposit and first month rent until I've signed it. I can't move in until the payment has cleared. May not be moving in on Friday at this rate.

Bamber

Super Moderator
looks like the kind of day that makes ya wanna be outside! View attachment 72139

so what does the landlord say?

View attachment 72140
I'm not yet in touch with the landlord. The estate agent promised to push him for the information and let me know when they get a reply.

All of this mayhem could have been avoided if they hadn't told me last Wednesday that a tenancy agreement was on its way to me: I wouldn't then have thought it had gone missing. I should have been told it would be sent for my signature once things had been cleared with the landlord. This is the second time they've done things stupidly out of sequence and caused unnecessary trouble. Pillocks.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Went in to pick up the key this morning. They had one for the flat but not the street door. They rang the landlord's mother who was due to meet me anyway and she brought the key: I know her. Don't think I've ever met her son, but she used to come in The Albert occasionally.

I spent a little time measuring up after first acquiring the basic essentials: mug, kettle, tea and milk.

I had a letter ready to notify my current landlady I was leaving. She wasn't in when I got home, but had left a note saying she was no longer selling up. Ho hum. I guess that means that she won't be interested in selling me any of the furniture there as she'll probably let the flat out again.

Posts from me may be a bit sparse for a while as I'll be a bit busy moving.