Around Totnes

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast

It's funny ~ but even without your comments Phil ~ there's something about this shot that says 'cold' ~ can't put my figure on it, as the sun is shining, maybe it's the lack of leaves on the trees

Bamber

Super Moderator
New Years afternoon was looking bright when I decided to take a walk. The wind picked up and became blustery between me making the decision to go for a walk and leaving home. Within 10 minutes I had nearly lost my hat twice and just avoided a drenching from a passing squall. After taking these photos of the new bird watching hide and Queen's Marsh another, heavier squall appeared so I took shelter and returned home after it had passed, just in time as it turned out, as more persistent rain set in.

The new hide
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Queen's Marsh in flood

Bird hide from Berryman's Marsh walkway

There's been a fair amount of rain over the holidays and Queen's Marsh and Berryman's Marsh are both flooded.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Looks like some self important pipsqueak from an adjacent authority (West Devon Borough Council) has objected to the fact the bird hide is not where it was supposed to be on the original planning application, which would have rendered it useless as it would either have been looking directly towards the sun, when light reflected from the water would have made bird sightings near impossible, or looking up the footpath and not at Queen's Marsh at all.

This smacks more than a little of petty political vindictiveness. West Devon are in financial trouble and recently attempted a merger with OUR council (South Hams) which was blocked.

Last edited:

squirt

Administrator
so ... somebody wants it moved ... now that it's built? lol
it's beautiful, I'd love to spend a (summer) morning there!
1clap2.gif

xsandos1.gif

Goodgrief

Lovely pictures! I couldn't help but notice that there is already a light green tinge in the trees. In January?
We finally came back to livable temperatures today after spending more than a week in really brutal sub-zero temps. We had two days of -40.

Bamber

Super Moderator
On the way home last night I walked up Fore Street and High Street, not my normal route. One of the art shops, Davidson Fine Art, had this rather splendid sculpture of a Great Dane in the window and I couldn't resist taking a picture despite the poor light.

I'll try and get a better quality picture at the weekend in daylight, if someone hasn't already forked out the £650 ($925) for it.

Last edited: