Around Totnes

Goodgrief

I can't remember the last time we had more than a light dusting of snow in Totnes, 2010 perhaps.

Although none was forecast for today there have been a few light flurries during the day, but it decided to save the real snowfall until I was on my way hone.

Heavier falls are forecast for the next two days: we shall see.

Welcome to the usual (but very mild) ways of winter in Canada and the northern United States!
We are always prepared for this harsh weather. It comes as a big bad surprise for most who don't live here.

Bamber

Super Moderator
It was snowing steadily but lightly all morning, with tiny, mist-like flakes. A little before mid-day the serious snowfall started and is due to last at least 10 hours, probably turning to sleet then freezing rain overnight, easing to snow showers tomorrow morning.

White stuff
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
That looks as though you took it from our office Phil ~ what the hell are you doing there ~ just heard from Kip, and it's coming down blizzard like with him ~ you should be at home ~ not walking back through all that, and the wind chill on top.
We've had this for a couple of days plus now ~ and hardly anything is moving around here, which is very unusual for our area which is normally protected by London ~ but this lot is straight in from the East ~ plus you now have Emma from the South ~ and the two buggers are joining up as our lot heads your way!

Bamber

Super Moderator
It is from the office. I've got all my cold weather gear with me, including heated gloves; I'll be OK for the walk home, I'll go through town and be sheltered by the buildings.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
That's sounds as though it's getting a bit rough ~ hope you have proper footwear on as well ~ saw a friend of mine walk pass our house today with those ski/snow sticks in his hands ~ the ones with spikes at the end ~ just be careful

Bamber

Super Moderator
Got my walking boots. With the forecast I'll be wearing my wellingtons tomorrow: got to go out even if I don't make it to the office, there's some great photo opportunities coming up (I hope).

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
'Wellingtons' ~ you need proper hiking books, strapped up around the ankle ~ I'm sure there will be get shots available ~ just make sure you and the camera get home in one piece ~ geesh Wellingtons in this sort of weather ~ no protection for the ankle at all ~ even Hunters, that I wear ~ I wouldn't go out in those even.

squirt

Administrator
well, you don't seem to be upset about it, so I won't be either lol
sure makes for pretty pictures!

xsandos1.gif

Goodgrief

Bamber, we are both sharing the same weather, we're expecting up to 20 cm of snow. And the greenies are calling it global warming...
I know very well, you will be seeing real spring before we do. Short bad spell for you, extended winter for us.

Don't slip and fall! Walk like a penguin!

Bamber

Super Moderator
A penguin? In icy conditions I walk like a dressage horse, planting each foot firmly before lifting the other.

Goodgrief

A penguin? In icy conditions I walk like a dressage horse, planting each foot firmly before lifting the other.
Yes, like a penguin. Feet spread apart, arms acting like balance. It works for hundreds of thousands of them. We are having similar situations here. Extremely slippery surfaces covered with snow. The penguin walk is a limb saver.