Bamber anecdote

brilor

Jokeroo Legend
[/URL] brought back memories.

In England's "second city" Birmingham in 1986 a formula 3000 motor race using local roads was organised for the first time. One of the largest car dealers of the city at the time were on the main road into the city from the south west: Bristol Street Motors. Because the site had a large forecourt it was decided that it would be the best place to have the pit lane. This was something of a coup for Bristol Street Motors and they were not slow in capitalising on it through advertising etc.

I had contacts in the vehicle industry as I had recently left a job with a vehicle delivery company and through them learned that they had come very close to shooting themselves in the foot: one of the advertising suggestions had been "Come to Bristol Street Motors: we are the pits!"
:like2:

Bamber

Super Moderator
Well it's not been entirely unexpected: my redundancy date has been extended again, to June 2018. The customer who is dispensing with our software wants to use it at least until then.
:grin:

Bamber

Super Moderator
The harvest is in and my niece Nikki now has a little time to enter ploughing competitions. This is her last Saturday.

Her main complaint is there are not enough women entering for there to be a ladies competition (which she is certain she would win), so she has to compete against the men.

As you can see the land where she lives in Worcestershire is much flatter than here in Devon.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Not yet, but her husband reckons he couldn't have done better and that's something coming from a farmer called Farmer (I think the family may have been doing it for a generation or two).

Goodgrief

She's a good Farmer! But I can't see why there should be a women's side of the competition. It's not who drives the tractor. It's all about skills.

Bamber

Super Moderator
The hat by which almost everyone recognises me is reaching the end of its life, the felt it is made of is turning into individual strands of wool and there are places you can see right through it, so I treated myself to a new hat, which arrived today...

As I was looking for this I came across another hat for a very reasonable price and just couldn't resist buying it. I am now the possessor of a bowler, also known as an English Derby.

Last edited:

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
Is the bowler for when you are in disguise? (They are both very nice...much nicer that the baseball caps everyone wears here!)

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Oh my word Phil ~ the bowler.... way back as a young man working in Fleet Street ~ one of my Director's then, took a 10 shilling note out and gave it to me, and told me to go to Dunn's in Fleet Street, and get a bowler ~ off I went [and it was the days of the TV series 'The Avengers' ~ they had to measure my head, ask me how I would wear it [I said slightly forward [rakish style] and they took the measurements and put the frame inside the bowler, slightly heated it up, and then brush it ~ and brought it back ~ fitted like a 'glove' ~ and had it for many years. What most people don't realise about 'that' hat ~ is that it will take any sort of weather, from rain to snow ~ get home, shake it off, hung it up ~ and next day, it's perfect ~ brilliant choice my friend, often thought about getting another...LOL

Bamber

Super Moderator
It has been suggested by a couple of people that I also acquire a top hat. There are already two or three local characters who wear toppers on occasion though, so I think I'll give that one a miss. If I find something more unique however...

konifur

Jokeroo Enthusiast
It has been suggested by a couple of people that I also acquire a top hat. There are already two or three local characters who wear toppers on occasion though, so I think I'll give that one a miss. If I find something more unique however...
You suited a top hat remember when we did out streets act...
1.JPG

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Haha... well my friend ~ I have a lovely grey topper [in it's box] taken out for the occasional function ~ which actually feel very comfortable when you wear it ~ although I might suggest [as the wizard you are] that a 'stove-pipe' hat would be better

Bamber

Super Moderator
Haha... well my friend ~ I have a lovely grey topper [in it's box] taken out for the occasional function ~ which actually feel very comfortable when you wear it ~ although I might suggest [as the wizard you are] that a 'stove-pipe' hat would be better
The younger Mr Brunel got away with a stovepipe as he was not particularly tall. If I wore one round here there are so many paths and alleys with an arch I would be forever either getting on my knees or having to remove it.