Bamber anecdote

squirt

Administrator
I've caught customers taking them out of the store, and when I approached them, they acted like they didn't have a clue that the baskets can't leave the store lol it's the same mentality that allows them to think that grazing in the store is appropriate, let your kid have a string cheese, no big deal if he throws the empty package on the floor and it never gets paid for, Kroger can afford it, right?

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
My sister is doing what siblings do and trying to embarrass me on facebook by posting this picture of me in my pram, with her looking on.

Neither of us have a clue what it is I've got on my head.
looks like the sailor hat that my grampa gave me when we went fishing...lol

Bamber

Super Moderator
On a lighter note...

A large number of preserved steam locomotives are owned by individuals or societies who have no lines on which to run them. They are generally rented out to heritage railways to operate their trains. Some of these railways are no longer connected to the national network, some are. Moving the engines between these sites is not always possible by rail even when the line is connected. Things have changed since the days of universal steam and the loading gauge has changed, meaning the engines are too high or wide to be used safely. This means quite a few movements take place on the road, with large low-loader trailers pulled by trucks.

I heard on the radio this morning that one of the main roads into South Devon was partly blocked by a steam train coming here from Somerset: the truck had failed. I checked the internet to see if there was a picture (I couldn't find one), but it isn't that uncommon. There has been at least one engine severely damaged by the trailer catching fire and other less serious incidents over the years. The only photos I could find were of this movement in 2015 when the trailer actually broke under the weight of the locomotive.

squirt

Administrator
ya'll have trains without rails ... here we have rails without trains lol
I love that ya'll still use trains so much!

xsandos1.gif

Bamber

Super Moderator
In summer I generally wear my straw Panama hat, but as the weather is currently quite breezy and prone to intermittent showers I have been wearing my bowler. Yesterday it provided me with a couple of incidents which I found amusing.

On the way to work, as I passed the bus stop I heard a woman (a holidaymaker, I think) in her 60s mutter "Are you a Rabbi or a businessman?". I'm pretty sure she didn't realise she'd said it out loud, as when I grinned at her and said "I'm not a Rabbi." she gave me a startled look.

Thinking about that reaction kept a grin on my face most of the way to work.

On the way home I stopped at Morrison's supermarket to get some salad stuffs and as I left the shop I noticed a blue eyed mongrel dog tied up taking a drink of water from the thoughtfully provided trough. It stopped drinking and stared at me, water dripping from its chops, until I had walked out of sight. It wasn't a "come here and pet me" stare, nor and aggressive stare, but struck me as a "can't believe my eyes" sort of look. I'd love to know what was going on in that dogs mind.

Thinking about that reaction kept a grin on my face most of the way home.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Well Phil, you rarely see a bowler worn these days ~ and yet, as you have found out, it's one of the most practical hats made [stands up to all weathers ~ would have liked to see the women's face when you said that, I've got a smile just thinking about the situation