Bamber anecdote

Bamber

Super Moderator
There are several routes through Barnstaple to the station, so I tend to take a different one each time to keep up with the changes. When I passes Queen Anne's Pavilion I was surprised to see a biplane on the square.

Plane and pavilion
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
This post:

...reminds me of this story my dad tells.

Not long after my parents got married they were visiting my mother's family: her dad (Sidney Philip), mum (Rose Selina) and brother (John Philip). While they were there, there was an unexpected snow storm. My parents had come by public transport, which was all cancelled, so they had to stay overnight. There were other male and female visitors with them too, so it was decided that the men would sleep downstairs and the women use the two bedrooms. My gran (Rose) wasn't really awake when she got up the next morning and came downstairs to make a cup of tea dressed in her slip and corset. This is how she became know in the family as "Slinky Selina".

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
Well what a surprise (not). Our software was due to be replaced this coming Saturday (3rd November). Guess what? The new software STILL isn't working correctly, so the "go live" date has been put off until the first week on January 2019.

My boss has pretty much guaranteed I'll be employed until the end of June and hinted that he may even pay me to the end of next year.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I usually visit my family in early in the year rather than Christmas. My dad used to spend Christmas Day with our family friend Anne. Since she died on New Years Day I have decided to keep him company this year, so will be travelling up on the Saturday (22nd) and coming home 5 days later. My brother and his family will visit some time over the festivities so it won't be just the two of us all the time. My sister and brother-in-law always spend the holiday in Yorkshire with friends, but I can see them another time.

I couldn't let dad spend the holiday alone, I know he'd find it distressing; he ain't used to it like I am.

Bamber

Super Moderator
It seems our customer is finding out how spoiled they have been by us. When they want a simple change to our software it is done in hours. With the new supplier even the simplest thing can take a month. Not only that, when they are making changes they are sometimes losing previous changes; this is just poor project control. As they are a software house currently supporting one of the largest logistics companies in Europe you would have thought they would have had a robust project control system in place. The standards in this industry have been getting worse in the past couple of decades; I'll be glad to get out of it before the whole thing implodes.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I don't think the neighbours would agree. If we knock through the other wall we won't be in the box room any more, we'll be in dad's bedroom.