Bamber anecdote

Bamber

Super Moderator
As my sister says, we brushed up well, but preferred our jeans and leathers.

Bamber

Super Moderator
A warning to all brothers: if your big sister is moping about, beware of taking her to your local to cheer her up, she may turn your best friend into a member of the family!

Bamber

Super Moderator
Had a good day out in Barnstaple, where I used to live, on Saturday. I was there to learn bookbinding and it was an excellent workshop. I intended to attend a birthday tea for someone who I used to quiz with there, but the workshop ended late and I had a train to catch.

The person whose birthday was being celebrated, Marion, is known by an alternative name following an inter-pub radio quiz back in (I think) 1994, a year before I moved there. Marion became known as "Mrs Bugger", after having several times used that expletive live on air when she gave the wrong answer. They did the quiz again the following year, but the radio station added a 5 second delay to allow them to censor out any swearing.

squirt

Administrator
where would you use bookbinding skills?
did you get to see the birthday girl at least?
glad you enjoyed your day so much! xsandos1.gif

Bamber

Super Moderator
where would you use bookbinding skills?
did you get to see the birthday girl at least?
glad you enjoyed your day so much! View attachment 60013
Didn't get to see Marion, sadly.

I know people who would like to produce small run editions of poetry, pictures, artwork etc. but find it too expensive. I'm looking at the possibility of offering my services if I can do it cheaply enough. I've also done a little research into book publishing.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Today is Marion's actual (80th) birthday. She's posted this as her facebook profile picture.
I asked if she'd had her hair done specially for the occasion.

Bamber

Super Moderator
That worked a treat.

It was my brother's 60th Birthday on 9th May and he had a party to celebrate on Saturday 11th. His daughter had phoned me a couple of weeks ago wondering if I could make a surprise visit (I rarely attend such events, I'm the odd member of the family who lives miles away from the rest). I said yes and she picked me up from the nearest railway station and we managed to totally surprise him.

It was a warm and sunny day, ideal for a barbecue on the back patio. Before the food came out my niece took this "four old farts" photo...

...from left to right: brother Kev, me, brother-in-law Tom, old friend Sam. We currently (until Tom's 70th later this year) cover the sixth decade between us.

Despite no longer drinking anywhere near as much as I used to, yet another photo with me holding a pint glass.

Once the sun went down the temperature dropped rapidly, but with the charcoal barbecue one side and an outdoor wood burning stove the other we four outlasted all the younger people there, not closing it all down until gone midnight.

An excellent catch-up with friends and family.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
I didn't indulge (I can't remember the last time I was drunk), but the other three tucked in to a Welsh single malt whisky which Sam gifted to Kev, which they all reckoned was first class.

It certainly had an effect on the balance of the birthday boy.

squirt

Administrator
what's with all the toy cars?
fantastic photo! ♥
glad you had such a great time, and made it home safe and sound! xsandos1.gif

Bamber

Super Moderator
My great nephews, Hari and Toby were there. Another little boy and two little girls also put in an appearance during the afternoon. The wind up motorcycle and sidecar, bottom right, were a gift to Kev: he has a motorcycle combination (we're all bikers or ex-bikers).

Bamber

Super Moderator
Visited friends in Barnstaple, North Devon at the Pilton Green Man Festival again on Saturday. Apparently it won't take place next year as the majority of organisers have or are retiring and the younger generation don't want to take it on.

I took this on my way back to the railway station; 6 pm on an archetypal British summer afternoon.

Afternoon on The Taw
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
I was talking to my friend Rusty's dad and he mentioned a homeless man who at one time sold a street newspaper (The Big Issue) in Barnstaple while wearing a top hat and tails. He was surprised when I said "Oh, you mean Graham Walker. He's lived in Totnes for years; moved to Paignton recently." I knew Graham had been in Barnstaple in the past, among several other places here in the south west, but Jim didn't know he now lived down here.

Bamber

Super Moderator
On Friday my dad dug out some old photos for my sister. Her favourite is this one of me and my little brother, I must have been around 4 years old at the time (no glasses!).

My sister (and my sister in law) just love the slippers: pom-poms and ankle straps!