Boy sent home for wearing US flag shirt

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees
Freedom of expression or cultural disrespect on Cinco de Mayo?
By GEORGE KIRIYAMA

NBC Bay Area
On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.
Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.
"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."
The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.
"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.
The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."
"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."
But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.
"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."
As for an apology, the boys and their families say, "fat chance."
"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."
The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident.
The boys will not be suspended and they were told they can go back to school Thursday. They may even wear their red, white, and blue colors again, but this time, the day after Cinco de Mayo, there will be no controversy.

squirt

Administrator
I have a problem with the term "Mexican American"
you're either American or you're not :waiting:
and Missy wondered why I don't celebrate that holiday lol :crazy:

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Betchya if a Mexican flag shirt WAS worn on July 4th (which, BTW, there is no school any-fucking-way) the student would not be asked to remove it

TakinMyLyfeBack

Jokeroo VIP Status
[QUOTE="squirt, post: 3367784]I have a problem with the term "Mexican American"
you're either American or you're not :waiting:
and Missy wondered why I don't celebrate that holiday lol :crazy:[/QUOTE]

Hey.....I dont wanna be in the middle of this....:sigh:

But since we have go to do it anyway....I think its just fucking ridiculus.......Hell, we cant even send our children to school wearing an american flag on their clothes????????? Please....we are in AMERICA!!! And Yes, Horty..you see them sporting their proud mexican flag on hats, tshirts, tatoos, you name it............:sigh:

UGH!!!!!!

TakinMyLyfeBack

Jokeroo VIP Status
And NO....Im not prejudice before someone tries to pull that card out of their little bag of tricks....both of my sons are Mexican Americans...sorry squirt.....
But they are Mexican and born in america...so they choose to call themselves mexican americans..my oldest son, cause he likes cheech and chong.....:musicn:Mexican Americans........:rofl:

squirt

Administrator
they are Americans of hispanic descent ... just had this discussion with my granddaugghter yesterday, I am not an English Irish Indian American lol those are my blood lines ... I am an American!!! :flowerforyou:

TakinMyLyfeBack

Jokeroo VIP Status
I whole heartedly agree with you. :rose: But try telling them that...:sigh:
I just let them have their own opinions...because after all, they are who they are...and if its easier for them to deal with it that way...then, I just keep my opinion out of it....but back to the topic at hand...
I just feel like it is wrong for AMERICAN children to be punished for showing their pride in their country, yet the Mexicans can flaunt theirs right in front of their faces, and probably laughing behind their backs in a foreign language!!! Maybe they should send them home from school when they refuse to speak english on the playground or in the lunchroom....:rofl:

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Shame on the school officials for violating the constitutional rights of their students.

"The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident."

So does that mean there will be discipline action taken toward the officials who did this wrongful act?

TakinMyLyfeBack

Jokeroo VIP Status
[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 3367920]Shame on the school officials for violating the constitutional rights of their students.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!!!!!!! Hallelluhiah!!!!!

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 3367937]it will be interesting to see if the ACLU will have something to say about this.[/QUOTE]

It would be VERY interesting IF the ACLU says something, but I seriously doubt they'll utter a peep

TakinMyLyfeBack

Jokeroo VIP Status
[QUOTE="hortysir, post: 3367945]It would be VERY interesting IF the ACLU says something, but I seriously doubt they'll utter a peep[/QUOTE]

Naw..they wont say anything because a bunch of white kids are not going to protest like a bunch of black kids or mexicans would.....maybe thats where we are going wrong..maybe we should start calling the race card right along with them, it seems to work for them, so why not???

TakinMyLyfeBack

I ran a trucking company here in Nevada for quite some years I hired one black one woman for every 5 white dudes (the white dudes included American indians) out of 90 drivers I had no Mexicans some spanish speaking Americans. But all had proof of citizenship. When I quit that job and tried to work else were it was a no go because they didn't have enough blacks I tried reverse racism and haven't worked at driving a truck for over 15 years now. It seems that the ACLU thought I was joking when I tried to sue and no lawyers would take the case even though the company was running ads for drivers.

The kids will be called racist if they protest the situation. :nonono:

TakinMyLyfeBack

Jokeroo VIP Status
Thats exactly what were trying to say...it makes no sense really......OK..we all live here in the united states..and we all have our right to be proud of our origin..but sending this kid home for wearing an American flag on his Tshirt......its just ridiculus.....and in all honesty, just like another poster said, his constitutional rights were violated. But as soon as a black kid gets sent home for wearing an OBAMA Tshirt, or a Martin Luther King Tshirt.....all hell breaks loose.....

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
We had to FIGHT for our freedom, where are all these "mexican, african, etc. americans" come off saying we can't wear our colors whenever we want to??????!!!!!!!