Climate change

Flynn

Hey there Horty, good to see someone from my pre-geriatric type community still logging in.

It did weaken, so much so that it was downgraded to a tropical storm. It weakened in strength, stalled over the ocean, picked up more water off the warm ocean and then slowly crawled inland and dumped record amounts of warm Atlantic Ocean water further inland than normal. On the coast higher tides than normal and that could be 4, 6, or 8 high tides to deal with, means flooding coastal towns.

I hope your out of danger further south west of the storm.

This side of the world, a Typhoon (Cyclone, Hurricane all the same by a different name ) Mangkhut has slammed into the Philippines with devastating force. Same deal Pacific Ocean, warmer than normal, storm, bigger than normal.

Whatever normal is these days, a once in a 100 year event does not mean the next one is 100 years away.

Cheers, good to read ya
Leigh

Flynn

How about the wild fires in California !

Fire firefighters and meteorologists are saying as the climate changes we can all expect more events like this.

All you climate change sceptics can just go on ignoring the facts it wont affect you.

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
what about them..they have been happening for hundreds of centuries..they are nothing new
what is new is people building their homes in those fire zones
climate change my ass

squirt

Administrator
I believe in climate change, I believe the climate has been changing since the world's creation
what I don't believe in is man's ability to curb his appetites in amounts great enough to make any real impact

Flynn

I believe in climate change, I believe the climate has been changing since the world's creation
what I don't believe in is man's ability to curb his appetites in amounts great enough to make any real impact

That’s a start, actually believing the climate is in a state of change.

You’re right planet Earth has been evolving for millions of years, civilisation and industrialisation from the 1800’s till now has had more of an impact than most people are prepared to admit. The ship loads of coal Australia sends to China is a contributing factor to polluting the planet.

You should start a petition and send it to your President because he is on record as not believing in climate change.

I couldn’t believe it when Trump came out during the horrific fires in California and told locals in the fire path, that they should have done more clearing and clearing prior to the fire.

Bamber

Super Moderator
The second part of that is a sad indictment on humanity, or at least the way you see it. I pray it is not true.

I believe, like the vast majority of scientists in the field, that humanity has had an unprecedented impact on the climate since the industrial revolution and continues to do so. We have the ability to make the necessary changes but they may well have to be imposed, much like the smoking regulations which had to be introduced against so much initial opposition despite the proven detrimental effects. I have to believe that, or just give up on the human race as a cause not worth fighting for.

Last edited:

Flynn

Bamber

If you mean the part where President Trump made the assertion “ State governments have not done enough to create a fire safe community “, then yes its true, I’ll find the film footage if necessary.

You hit on one of the main points of climate change, the industrial revolution.

There has been no transition of labor practices to replace the jobs lost in our factories and production lines, we cannot compete with Chinese and Indian labor costs. Our countries are already suffering from slow wages growth.

President Trump like other leaders of industrialised nations have made no plans to replace the jobs of production line work and servitude of one type or another. Not all of us in the Western economic world are going to be rocket scientists so we need to update our job skills, not everyone will make the transition.

The Chinese and Indians are responsible for most of the worlds polluton now, we had our turn at industrialisation now it’s their turn to grow and the economic outlook is good for them, the pollution is bad for us.

Meanwhile at the ASEAN meeting and other world leaders meeting in Europe, discussions are being held about Free Trade agreements which exclude the USA because of the tariffs that president Trump wants to introduce.

Trumps nationalism could lead to isolationism too.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Flynn

I was actually referring to Squirt's "what I don't believe in is man's ability to curb his appetites in amounts great enough to make any real impact".

I think you and I are pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet on this.

Flynn

Brilor

Sorry about that, I have a lot on my mind about world politics while I watch the stock market and housing market head for another crash.

The USA has wiped off all of the stock market gains since President Trump came to power.

Every time there is a fall on the USA stock markets our markets follow them down.

Flynn

The USA stock market dropped again yesterday.

At last our market shrugged off the unsettled USA economy and early signs are we will start to recoup the loses that President Trump inflicted on the world with his tariff war against China and the rest of the world.

ASEAN nations are having trade talks and Mike Pence has been left sitting on the fence because the rest of the world don’t want to play the sort of games the USA is trying to inflict us with.

I’m hoping this is where the rest of the world leaves the USA to stew in its own trade juices.

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
The USA stock market dropped again yesterday.

At last our market shrugged off the unsettled USA economy and early signs are we will start to recoup the loses that President Trump inflicted on the world with his tariff war against China and the rest of the world.

ASEAN nations are having trade talks and Mike Pence has been left sitting on the fence because the rest of the world don’t want to play the sort of games the USA is trying to inflict us with.

I’m hoping this is where the rest of the world leaves the USA to stew in its own trade juices.
Interesting...and the climate is??????

You seem so eager to bash ANYTHING and ANYONE concerning the United States, I can't help but wonder why you even bother to pretend an interest. Just be thankful you live in such a perfect country and leave us alone.

Flynn

Interesting...and the climate is??????

You seem so eager to bash ANYTHING and ANYONE concerning the United States, I can't help but wonder why you even bother to pretend an interest. Just be thankful you live in such a perfect country and leave us alone.
I do have an interest, an economic interest as ell as an ecological interest.

You have no dea how the decisions in YOUR country affects others, especially when it comes to climate change.

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Climate change is pretty much divided 50 - 50 between scientists who believe in it and those who don't. The US is doing more for cutting down pollution than any other country in the world. What good will that do if the biggest offenders will not comply to any rules or even care. The believers in climate change will even admit it will take trillions of dollars over the next 20 years to bring the temperature of the earth down one degree. I believe natural climate change can do that all by itself.....always has. The world wide climate change Obama agreed to spend billions of our dollars was just a ploy to get the United States to invest......in what? Thank goodness we now have a president who has more sense than that.

Flynn

Climate change is pretty much divided 50 - 50 between scientists who believe in it and those who don't. The US is doing more for cutting down pollution than any other country in the world. What good will that do if the biggest offenders will not comply to any rules or even care. The believers in climate change will even admit it will take trillions of dollars over the next 20 years to bring the temperature of the earth down one degree. I believe natural climate change can do that all by itself.....always has. The world wide climate change Obama agreed to spend billions of our dollars was just a ploy to get the United States to invest......in what? Thank goodness we now have a president who has more sense than that.

The biggest offenders have already had their turn at polluting the globe, now China and India want to increase the living standards of their people by industrialisation you’re against it.

Industrial pollution is a world wide problem adding to the problem is not a solution.

Flynn

How wrong can I be, the Australian stock market followed the USA lead and dropped by the end of the sssion for no other reason than jitters about an international trade war.

Bamber

Super Moderator
50/50? Where do you get that figure from? Consistent surveys of climate scientists (i.e. those scientists whose area of expertise includes climate) come out at 97% concurring that it exists and is man made. The general public, on the other hand, are uninformed enough to guess at a 67% chance: still more than your 50/50.

squirt

Administrator
The second part of that is a sad indictment on humanity, or at least the way you see it. I pray it is not true.

I believe, like the vast majority of scientists in the field, that humanity has had an unprecedented impact on the climate since the industrial revolution and continues to do so. We have the ability to make the necessary changes but they may well have to be imposed, much like the smoking regulations which had to be introduced against so much initial opposition despite the proven detrimental effects. I have to believe that, or just give up on the human race as a cause not worth fighting for.
we were talking apples and oranges me thinks
I just don't believe that people will actually do what it takes to make a real impact, they'll go through the motions, make a big deal about "look at me, I'm doing my part, and you're not", and nothing will change

Flynn

we were talking apples and oranges me thinks
I just don't believe that people will actually do what it takes to make a real impact, they'll go through the motions, make a big deal about "look at me, I'm doing my part, and you're not", and nothing will change

It wont change unless attitudes change.

No one expects small towns to make unrealistic sacrifices.

There are things that can be done to reduce human polllution in our cities. With all the technology available to the USA the major cities have still failed to recognise that electric vehicles are more suited to large city environments than the petrol guzzles behemoths that some of us still want to drive. Get the cars off the roads to our cities and build decent travel corridors that get people to work quicker, cheaper and more environmentally friendly than what we are now doing.

The quote below is an extract from morning news services in Australia today.

90% of Australia’s polluting facilities – and most poisoned air – are in postcodes with low-middle household incomes.
Air pollution is a hidden killer, and children, older people and disadvantaged communities suffer most.
Holding your breath is not an option. Breathing is non-negotiable.
For too long, local communities have been pushing for air pollution controls in isolation. Postcode by postcode, state by state.
But air pollution is a serious national issue. It’s time for a national solution.
It’s time for all of us to come together and demand a new generation of environment laws and institutions to stop corporations poisoning our air, damaging our climate and harming our lungs.

I don’t agree they are low income areas now, as the houses have even bought up by office workers who are only 3 or 4 bus stops from the city centres. Altona a port area in Melbourne has a bad air pollution, they also have petrol refinery a couple of kilometres away. You could not buy a suburban Altona house for less than a million $’s. And that would get you a tiny 3 bedroom place with no front yard and a small backyard.

Here where I live in Canberra the local government is installing electric charging points in parking lots. We are also building a light rail in the attempt to get people to park for free on the fringe of the city and catch a electric tram to work. There is a tram on the track this week for testing.

There are things we can do as individuals, at local, state or federal government levels.

It’s time to take the air we breathe and the climate seriously.

Flynn

50/50? Where do you get that figure from? Consistent surveys of climate scientists (i.e. those scientists whose area of expertise includes climate) come out at 97% concurring that it exists and is man made. The general public, on the other hand, are uninformed enough to guess at a 67% chance: still more than your 50/50.
Your figures are from climate scientists not climate sceptics.

66% as a poll should be able to change attitudes in government and individuals.