Do we still need the Electoral College?

Don't you think the popular vote should be all there is? I think people would feel their vote actually counted if it wasn't trumped by the electoral college.

squirt

Administrator
it was set up when our country was in it's infancy, the founders had doubts that democracy could work and wanted to limit the influence of the voters, it is also from a time when gathering results was painstaking at best, news travelled slowly

we know now that democracy works, and information travels at the speed of light

no, we don't need, or want, the electoral college anymore

squirt

Administrator
a lot of elections would've gone differently without it, that's for sure!

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4841977]it was set up when our country was in it's infancy, the founders had doubts that democracy could work and wanted to limit the influence of the voters, it is also from a time when gathering results was painstaking at best, news travelled slowly

we know now that democracy works, and information travels at the speed of light

no, we don't need, or want, the electoral college anymore
[/QUOTE]

That is what I thought. Of course none of the parties want to dissolve it because they can work the system more easily. Far easier to convince a few people you are right than a whole country.

[QUOTE="muchtrouble10, post: 4842497]It seems to me that the only ones who benefit from it are the political "fat cats"![/QUOTE]

Completely agree!

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Nope! The electoral college is outdated and it is too easily manipulated by the politicians. The states are in a continual battle to change the boundaries of districts to their political advantage.

I don't think I've ran into anybody that has supported it. Anecdotal, I know, but it seems so obviously unnecessary and ripe for corruption.

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
I remember that the news was already reporting Obama was voted in again even though the votes from Florida hadn't came in yet, that like we don't give a shit what the peoples of Florida think.

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4845681]Hillary? lol
[/QUOTE]

I love that a woman is a serious contender for President and the "get back to the kitchen" nonsense isn't so prevalent these days. But she is just so hard to like. I just don't feel she is honest (and I'm not talking about the e-mail scandal). The Regan funeral snafu was just so hard to watch. Ughh. . .

squirt

Administrator
I finally understand the value of the electoral college
if we didn't have it, large population states like Texas and California could decide the fate of the entire country
the electoral college gives every state a say in who runs our country
if you go by state, and we should, Trump won hands down
Hillary won in 19 states, 2 states are still outstanding, giving Trump 29, a clear majority

Tsalagi

[QUOTE="Country17, post: 4843243]Nope! The electoral college is outdated and it is too easily manipulated by the politicians. The states are in a continual battle to change the boundaries of districts to their political advantage.[/QUOTE]
The District boundaries have nothing to do with it. Electoral college votes are determined by the state population. The popular vote of the state determines who will be the electors.

T

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4955834]I finally understand the value of the electoral college
if we didn't have it, large population states like Texas and California could decide the fate of the entire country
the electoral college gives every state a say in who runs our country
if you go by state, and we should, Trump won hands down
Hillary won in 19 states, 2 states are still outstanding, giving Trump 29, a clear majority

[/QUOTE]

I have since studied up on the electoral college concept and can see how it works now (mostly) lol

BTW please let me know how the Michigan vote ended up, I still have not heard.

TwiztedAngel

The electoral college is the reason why we do not vote. The vast majority of Texas will vote republican, no matter what. This means our votes are meaningless and worthless.

By "we", it is my mother, husband, and I.

squirt

Administrator
She’s probably not going to win the actual number of votes cast. She may win the number of votes counted, but not the votes cast.

States don’t count their absentee ballots unless the number of outstanding absentee ballots is larger than the state margin of difference. If there is a margin of 1,000 votes counted and there are 1,300 absentee ballots outstanding, then the state tabulates those. If the number of outstanding absentee ballots wouldn’t influence the election results, then the absentee ballots aren’t counted.

Who votes by absentee ballot? Students overseas, the military, businesspeople on trips, etc. The historical breakout for absentee ballots is about 67-33% Republican. In 2000, when Al Gore “won” the popular vote nationally by 500,000 votes and the liberal media screamed bloody murder, there were 2 million absentee ballots in California alone. A 67-33 breakout of those yields a 1.33- to 0.667-million Republican vote advantage, so Bush would have gotten a 667,000-vote margin from California’s uncounted absentee ballots alone! So much for Gore’s 500,000 popular vote “victory.” (That was the headline on the N.Y. Times, and it was the lead story on NBC Nightly News, right? No? You’re kidding.)

Getting back to the “win the popular vote/lose the Electoral College” scenario: Thank the good Lord we have that, or else California and N.Y. would determine every election. Every time.

this is probably what's happening in Michigan, where the results are SO close!
he has something like 47.6% and she's got something like 47.3
they are probably counting absentee ballots