Do we still need the Electoral College?

Mimi

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4964511]
let's talk about your politicians for a minute ... do you LIKE them?
Trump was and is the great American "screw you" to Washington D.C.
[/QUOTE]
If this thread were about our politicians I'd definitely point out what I don't like about them but it's not.

Unfortunately, yes, the anti-establishment movement has put him there. I'd never want my children to look up to him as a person, and I certainly never will. I'd be worried if he was our leader.

Mimi

[QUOTE="Tsalagi, post: 4964482]So do many millionaires. There all sorts of learning experiences along the road of life!

T
[/QUOTE]
So do many parents from all walks of life.

I think men and women seek out partners if they were originally roped into the wrong relationship; I don't think this is exclusively a male phenomenon. I know I wouldn't stay where I was miserable, and obviously not compatible with the other person. I'd leave rather than cheat though. :tounge:

Tsalagi

[QUOTE="Mimi, post: 4964032]America can't be better when it's lead by a male that speaks/thinks the way Trump does about women. Not a chance.

Regardless of whether it was dug up or not, it's true.

[/QUOTE]
Does this mean that Jokaroo can't be better when it is full of sexist posters, both male and female?

T

squirt

Administrator
about 65% of our budget is spent "automatically", meaning money goes to certain things always
things like Medicare and Social Security, and other mandatory expenditures
the remaining 35% is called "discretionary spending" and Congress is supposed to be in charge of that 35%

but the president does have significant influence in our budgets
the president is required by law to submit an annual budget request to Congress each year, then the House and Senate each take a look at it, add stuff, take away stuff
then they meet to come up with a compromise version and send it to the president to sign or veto

what usually ends up happening, especially in recent history, is that they pass partial budgets, that allow programs from prior years to continue under the laws from prior years that authorized the spending

my point wasn't about what happened to the deficit under specific presidents, it was more about our current debt and the possibility that Trump could bankrupt us, it's too late IMO[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Tsalagi

The Electoral College meets in 9 days to confirm Donald Trump as the next President.

T

squirt

Administrator
off with their heads! lol :waiting:
2 Texas electors went faithless lol
but!
more Hillary electors went rogue! lol :thee:

Patrish

A Premium Jokaroo'er
[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 4963953] Just my two cents worth to you, U.S citizens. Don't ever let go of your electoral system. Yours is a fair way of voting for what is good for you or what will work for you. We, Canadians, are forced to vote for a party to elect the Prime Minister. But there's the clincher. The most populated provinces are the ones who sway the election. Most likely the ones who benefit the most from equalization transfers from less populated, but most productive provinces.

Never let go of the electoral college!
[/QUOTE]

It was
brilliant how they set that up.

It gives the entire population a voice...vs bigger cities who could harm rural areas because their issues and needs are not the same.
It was set up to keep tyrants from taking over.
A politician would only need to bend to the cities and make the whole voiceless.

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Patrish, post: 4984052]It was
brilliant how they set that up.

It gives the entire population a voice...vs bigger cities who could harm rural areas because their issues and needs are not the same.
It was set up to keep tyrants from taking over.
A politician would only need to bend to the cities and make the whole voiceless.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 5000075]
[/QUOTE]

:like2:

Patrish

A Premium Jokaroo'er
[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 4963953] Just my two cents worth to you, U.S citizens. Don't ever let go of your electoral system. Yours is a fair way of voting for what is good for you or what will work for you. We, Canadians, are forced to vote for a party to elect the Prime Minister. But there's the clincher. The most populated provinces are the ones who sway the election. Most likely the ones who benefit the most from equalization transfers from less populated, but most productive provinces.

Never let go of the electoral college!
[/QUOTE]
:loveit:
Here is my deal. Anyone of you who wants to move up here, gimme a shout. I will gladly trade my place for yours.
No thanks. :)
[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4964103]

as for Obama, you can have him, I'm sure Trump would pay to fly him to Australia! lol :grin:
[/QUOTE]
:yougogirl::yougogirl:lol
He was a big mistake - we saw coming.
But ppl only voted for some historical
moment.
O it's historical, alright.
Worst president ever.

Vinnie

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 5000075]
[/QUOTE]

And this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of Democracy.

If you feel this should be the way things are sorted out then what you are saying is that Land Ownership should be the basis of government.

What you have may work, but it isn't a true democracy. It is at bewst a form of representational democracy but then you have very unequal voting power.

squirt

Administrator
when you find that perfect world with a perfect democracy, you let me know, cuz I wanna live there lol :meme:

the point is that 2 states, New York and California, should not be able to decide who sits in the White House for the other 48 states
if we got rid of the electoral college, you might as well get rid of the 2 party system, and elections, because those 2 states would decide the outcome of every single election!

Vinnie

So what you are saying it that not everyone is equal? It is not the fault of those states that more people want to live there.

squirt

Administrator
and it's not the fault of the other 48 states that 2 of the largest cities in the world are in those 2 states

are you saying the farmer in Iowa doesn't count as much as the flat owner in New York City?

Vinnie

No, I'm saying they should count the same but I believe the electoral college makes a difference of a factor of three in the value of some votes.

squirt

Administrator
that's why it's done by state, and not by popular vote
2 states should not have more power than the other 48 *combined*

Vinnie

So you canot claim to e a democracy, more of a Autocracy where the "state" has the power.

Moreseriously, I can understand why this might be, but in accepting it, you have to recognise the unfairness of the model. AS long as their are means of change though, I can live with it.

squirt

Administrator
choose any word you like, but I won't agree that it's unfair, sure looks like the fairest way to me