Favourite recipe (adds welcome)

Bamber

Super Moderator
I've found a new recipe to try, something simple and VERY tasty.

Bloomin' onion bread

INGREDIENTS

1 sourdough bread loaf

8-16 oz. cheddar cheese, sliced thinly

½ cup butter, melted

½ cup green onions, finely diced

2 teaspoons poppy seeds

INSTRUCTIONS

Cut the bread lengthwise and widthwise without cutting through to the bottom.

Insert cheese slices between the cuts.

Combine butter, green onions and poppy seeds and stir to mix.

Move the bread to a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle the butter mixture over the bread. Move the green onions around if needed to spread them out.

Wrap the bread loosely with foil and bake at 350F/180C for 15 minutes.

Unwrap the bread and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I know I've posted this before, but just to keep 'em together...

Athenian Mince

1lb minced steak
1 onion
12oz (ish) potatoes
14 oz tin chopped tomatoes
1tsp mixed herbs
1 pint milk
2oz butter
2 oz plain flour
4 oz grated cheddar
1 egg separated.

Heat oven to Gas 5/190/375

Peel and boil potatoes until just cooked, slice.

Fry onion, then add mince and brown.
Add tomatoes and mixed herbs.
Cover and cook for 20 mins.

Make cheese sauce:
Melt butter, remove from heat and stir in flour, then add milk a bit at a time.
Return to heat and stir until thickened, remove and stir in egg yolk and cheese.
Whisk egg white until stiff, and fold into sauce.

Put half of mince in an ovenproof dish, layer with half of sliced potatoes and half cheese sauce, repeat with other half.

Cook for 40-45 mins until risen and golden on top.

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
They both sound delicious! No matter how healthy our eating habits are, sometimes we NEED to indulge. Besides...they aren't that bad.

squirt

Administrator
my favorite recipe is to let someone else cook lol :lookaroun

:bravo: :xxsandoos:

Bamber

Super Moderator
I've got a recipe for that.

Ingredients

1 Telephone

1 Menu to the food delivery service of your choice.

Instructions

Select the meal you would like delivered.

Telephone the number on the menu.

Order the selected meal.

Wait, preferably without drooling, for the meal to be delivered.

Enjoy.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Super healthy salmon burgers (4)

INGREDIENTS
4 boneless, skinless salmon fillets, about 550g/1lb 4oz in total, cut into chunks

2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste

thumb-size piece fresh root ginger, grated

1 teaspoon soy sauce

1 bunch coriander, half chopped, half leaves picked

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

INSTRUCTIONS
Tip the salmon into a food processor with the paste, ginger, soy and chopped coriander. Pulse until roughly minced. Tip out the mix and shape into 4 burgers. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, then fry the burgers for 4-5 mins on each side, turning until crisp and cooked through.

Serve with a salad, and a squeeze of lemon juice if it takes your fancy.

Tokentoo

[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 4729162]I've got a recipe for that.

Ingredients

1 Telephone

1 Menu to the food delivery service of your choice.

Instructions

Select the meal you would like delivered.

Telephone the number on the menu.

Order the selected meal.

Wait, preferably without drooling, for the meal to be delivered.

Enjoy.
[/QUOTE]

LOL, That made me think of Sarah from the other place.... she didn't cook
she made reservations!

Goodgrief

Speaking of food anticipation... One extra-long weekend in Banff, Alberta, in September.

Ribs at Chili's, adult grilled cheese sandwiches (4 different cheeses in a cloud-like bread) at the Bison, Dungeness crab at The Keg and to top it all off, dinner at the Rimrock's Eden restaurant for the most incredible food experience with a magnificent view of the Bow Valley, followed by a Cent-cinquatenaire Grand Marnier on our hotel room's balcony.
Celebrating our 38th anniversary!

Goodgrief

Here's one I came up with.

I call it the Hungry Canadian Lasagna.

One small cabbage head (boiled).
3 boneless chicken breast (boiled and shredded).
Half a pack of cubed Philadelphia cheese
Half a can of cubed tomatoes.
Several dashes of green Tabasco sauce.
Almost a ball of pizza mozzarella (shredded).

Set one layer of cabbage leaves in the bottom of a large casserole dish.

Mix together the shredded chicken, the cubed cream cheese and the Tabasco (add salt and pepper to taste).

Spread a layer of the mixture and top with more cabbage.

Add more of the mixture, cover with cabbage and add the tomatoes.

Cover the whole thing with a ton of mozzarella.

Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and finish with "Broil" until the mozzarella gets bubbly and turning brown.

Bamber

Super Moderator
This post mentions a recipe for slow roasted tomatoes: http://board.jokeroo.com/tell-us-about-yourself/151400-bamber-anecdote-35.html#post4812805

I'm not sure if this is the actual way Paul does it, but for those who would like to try, they are easy to make and easy to freeze. Slow roasting caramelises and intensifies the flavour of the tomatoes. You can eat these "as-is" from the oven. They are great served on crusty bread with a little olive oil or as a side dish. Also perfect for tossing into pasta or salads. They take 15 minutes to prepare and 6 hours to cook.

4-5 pound of tomatoes
6 garlic cloves
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper

Simply change the proportions for more or less tomatoes

Preheat the oven to 100C (200F).

Line a large rimmed baking tray with foil or parchment paper (it helps the clean up after).

Wash and halve the tomatoes lengthwise. If you are using larger tomatoes cut them into quarters or even eighths.

Place the tomatoes cut side up in the baking tray. Place them close together as you like as they will shrink during cooking.

Mince the garlic, combine with the oil and coat the tomatoes with it. Add the salt and pepper, and maybe your favourite herb.

Bake for 6 hours. If you are using larger tomatoes they may take longer; they should end up almost caramelised with crisp edges but retain their moisture.

If you are not going to use them straight away, let them cool then put them in an airtight container. They should keep chilled 2-3 weeks or up to 8 months frozen.
To use, simply bring to room temperature.

You can even keep the oil for salad dressing or sauteing.

Goodgrief

[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 4812831]This post mentions a recipe for slow roasted tomatoes: http://board.jokeroo.com/tell-us-about-yourself/151400-bamber-anecdote-35.html#post4812805

I'm not sure if this is the actual way Paul does it, but for those who would like to try, they are easy to make and easy to freeze. Slow roasting caramelises and intensifies the flavour of the tomatoes. You can eat these "as-is" from the oven. They are great served on crusty bread with a little olive oil or as a side dish. Also perfect for tossing into pasta or salads. They take 15 minutes to prepare and 6 hours to cook.

4-5 pound of tomatoes
6 garlic cloves
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper

Simply change the proportions for more or less tomatoes

Preheat the oven to 100C (200F).

Line a large rimmed baking tray with foil or parchment paper (it helps the clean up after).

Wash and halve the tomatoes lengthwise. If you are using larger tomatoes cut them into quarters or even eighths.

Place the tomatoes cut side up in the baking tray. Place them close together as you like as they will shrink during cooking.

Mince the garlic, combine with the oil and coat the tomatoes with it. Add the salt and pepper, and maybe your favourite herb.

Bake for 6 hours. If you are using larger tomatoes they may take longer; they should end up almost caramelised with crisp edges but retain their moisture.

If you are not going to use them straight away, let them cool then put them in an airtight container. They should keep chilled 2-3 weeks or up to 8 months frozen.
To use, simply bring to room temperature.

You can even keep the oil for salad dressing or sauteing.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds absolutely delicious!... But remind me to forgo the tomatoes if I ever eat there. Garlic will send me to the nearest hospital!
NO! I'm not a vampire.

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 4813688]Sounds absolutely delicious!... But remind me to forgo the tomatoes if I ever eat there. Garlic will send me to the nearest hospital!
NO! I'm not a vampire.
[/QUOTE]
If you want to make them yourself, just substitute the garlic with your favourite herb(s).

Bamber

Super Moderator
I've got to try this side dish, I love asparagus and bacon goes with everything.

Bacon wrapped asparagus

Place asparagus in a shallow dish and sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss to coat completely.

Separate spears into groups of three and wrap each with a rasher of bacon.

Grill at medium heat until bacon is cooked and asparagus is soft (roughly 7 minutes).

Garnish with crumbled goat cheese.