Favourite recipe (adds welcome)

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
Looks like something I'd love to try - if only I could eat!

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Quite uncanny Phil ~ the other week we were invited to the 'Speaker's Rooms' at the House for a party ~ and they had a number of people coming round with various bits to eat ~ and one of them was your recipe ~ only each individual one was wrapped ~ and absolutely lovely ~ Oh my ~ can still taste it now....LOL

squirt

Administrator
[QUOTE="Geoff_the_Beard, post: 4856420]Looks like something I'd love to try - if only I could eat![/QUOTE]

Bamber

Super Moderator
[video=youtube;2kGcn4Drejo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kGcn4Drejo[/video]
Simple & tasty. :yum::yum:
(The soy sauce should be balsamic vinegar, dunno what happened there!)

Bamber

Super Moderator
Having been diagnosed diabetic I'm supposed to avoid carbs if I can, so no potato, pasta or bread. Salad for lunch is OK, but there are times when some sort of bread would be nice.

I found this recipe and am going to try it this weekend as a bread substitute. I'll let you know how I get on.

CLOUD BREAD

To make 6 rolls

• [*]3 large eggs, separated
    [*]¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
    [*]55g cream cheese, very soft
    [*]1 tablespoon sugar

Line a tray with baking paper.

Preheat oven to 180C 350F (Gas mark 4).

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until stiff peaks form.

Mix the other ingredients together until the mixture is very smooth and has no visible cream cheese.

Gently fold in the egg whites, trying not to deflate them.

Form 6 "buns" with the mixture on the baking tray.

Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned (about 30 minutes).

Bamber

Super Moderator
First attempt on Saturday came out OK but deflated on the cooling rack: obviously not a stiff enough mixture. Tasted a little too sweet but eminently edible. Just made some more to try tomorrow with less sugar and longer stiffening of the egg whites. It looks OK on the rack at the moment, hope this doesn't deflate too.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Well it didn't deflate, so made a ham and lettuce sandwich to take to work for lunch. I'll keep experimenting, I think I can get it lighter and do without the sugar altogether.

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 4923915]Well it didn't deflate, so made a ham and lettuce sandwich to take to work for lunch. I'll keep experimenting, I think I can get it lighter and do without the sugar altogether.[/QUOTE]
once you get it perfected..please post your recipe for it...thank you

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="roadkill, post: 4923946]once you get it perfected..please post your recipe for it...thank you[/QUOTE]
:2thumbsup:

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="roadkill, post: 4923946]once you get it perfected..please post your recipe for it...thank you[/QUOTE]
I just couldn't get it right, I gave up in the end.

I have had a success though. I like pate but most are too high in fat, saturates and salt (not good for diabetes). I also like mushrooms but the mushroom pate on sale in local stores isn't exactly diabetes friendly either.

I checked out the internet and found this on a diabetic recipe site and it worked out well. The recipe is very easy to tweak to get the flavour and texture you prefer (using different onions or mushrooms, or a mixture of different mushrooms; fine or rough chopping, more or less cheese...)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
50g finely chopped shallots
175g chopped mushrooms
1 crushed garlic clove
Large pinch of white pepper
1 tablespoon reduced salt soy sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
50g low fat cream cheese

Method
Put the oil in a pan on a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until browned.
Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms and cook until reduced to the required consistency (I add a little water a couple of times during this process then cook it out again to finely reduce the mushrooms. It stops the mixture sticking to the pan too).
Add the garlic and pepper and cook for another minute or so.
Add the soy sauce and parsley, stir well and remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Once cool, mix in a bowl with the cream cheese, cover and refrigerate.

It should keep for about a week. Serve on toast or crackers.
It also makes a great stuffing for canapes. Try in baked baby potatoes for a gluten free option.

This makes roughly 4 servings. Each serving has...
53 kcal
1.3g carbs
1.7g fibre
3.2g protein
4.1g fat
1.1g saturates
1.1g sugar
0.4g salt

Bamber

Super Moderator
Another recipe from a diabetes site I have tried (I did it for one but here is the recipe for two)...

Thai flavoured sea bass en papillote.

Ingredients
2 small prepared (scaled and gutted) sea bass
2 lemongrass stalks
100g piece of fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves
3 small red chillies
1 lime
12 cleaned new potatoes
Small knob of butter

Requirements
50cm (20 inch) length of baking parchment
Baking tray

Preparation
Bash the lemongrass with the blunt side of the knife to bruise it then slice into thin rings.
Finely chop the chillies.
Crush the garlic cloves.
Finely slice the ginger across the grain (no need to peel it).
Put these all together in a mixing bowl then grate in the zest and squeeze in the juice of the lime and stir well.

Method
Lay the fish across the parchment and put ¾ of the mixture inside. Scatted the rest over the fish and fold the sides of the parchment over the fish then roll it into a parcel (this can now be stored for a while in the fridge if you wish).

Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan. 350F. 320F fan. gas 4). Place the parcel on a baking tray and cook in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the flesh flakes from the bone.

While the fish bakes place the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer until tender (about 10 minutes). Drain well and slice in half then return to the empty pan with a knob of butter just to finish them off.

Serve with a salad or vegetables of your choice.

Each serving has...
361 kcal
29g carbs
2g fibre
43g protein
8g fat
2g saturates
4g sugar
0.7g salt

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
i will have to give these 2 news ones a try...substituting the sea bass for local fresh water fish
that i catch

Bamber

Super Moderator
I hope you enjoy them both. I actually like trying new recipes as long as they're simple and fairly quick; my kitchen area is tiny and I have very little storage space or work surface, so the simpler the better. These are two of my favourite recent finds.

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 5094865]I hope you enjoy them both. I actually like trying new recipes as long as they're simple and fairly quick; my kitchen area is tiny and I have very little storage space or work surface, so the simpler the better. These are two of my favourite recent finds.[/QUOTE]
thanks bamber...i dont like long complicated recipes either..i like them simple and easy too..the easier the better...the less chance of me screwing it up...lol

sexysadie

Jokeroo VIP Status
Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake

★★★★★
4.8 from 11 reviews
PRINT RECIPE
PREP TIME:
10 mins
COOK TIME:
60 mins
TOTAL TIME:
1 hour 10 minutes
Author: Lee Hersh
Yield: 6
Ingredients

1 cup quinoa
1 green pepper, diced
1.5 cup mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
3 cups Marinara Sauce
(any kind of spaghetti sauce will work!)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 egg
2 tablespoons flour (I used white whole wheat, but white or gluten-free will work, too!)
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
4 large chicken breasts (or 6 medium chicken breasts)
salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a casserole dish with coconut oil cooking spray.
Prep veggies by dicing a whole green pepper and 1.5 cups of mushrooms. Finely dice 1/2 a yellow onion (~1/2 cup).
Place 1 cup of uncooked quinoa on the bottom of your casserole dish and then layer on veggies.
Add 3 cups of marinara sauce, 1 cup of chicken broth, and a tablespoon of minced garlic to the casserole dish and mix everything together. Set aside.
In a medium-size bowl, mix together flour, shredded parmesan, and garlic powder. Then, crack an egg into a small bowl and whisk.
Prep chicken breast by dipping into the egg and then into the parmesan mixture making sure everything is generously coated. Place chicken breast on top of quinoa mixture
Finally, sprinkle on the leftover parmesan mixture and even more cheese if you desire. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Bake at 375º, uncovered for 20 minutes. Then, cover with tin foil and bake for an additional 40 minutes or until the quinoa is fully cooked.
Nutrition

Serving Size: 1/6 Calories: 353 Sugar: 9 Fat: 9 Carbohydrates: 32 Fiber: 3 Protein: 31