Georgia.......

before I left on vacation I really heard about this. When I got back, things were quite worse.

Anyways to start this, I would like to ask " How should the issue between Georgia and Russia be resolved.

Bush demands Russia remove troops from Georgia - Yahoo! News

recent article that I read today.

I think Russia should back out and allow the U.S. to send aid to those in need. I think that this is a worthless despute that is going to make things worse for others.

Flynn

Sure, sure, that's really going to smooth over the hostilities, lets get America involved.

I know it's of little interest to you but this topic is being discussed on at least two other threads.

Some of us do keep abreast of current affairs.

Again, Flynn, you're an example to us all...(just ask you, right?)

So maybe this topic can have a thread of its own...and perhaps, since you don't own the debate section of Jokaroo, Sunburst can start his own thread specifically dedicated to this one topic, rather than using one of the other meandering bitch-and-moan threads that have currently wandered off to mention Georgia and Russia...

sybarite

Getting involved in another crisis is the last thing we should do. We need to stop being the world police and let some of these countries work out their own problems. I don't mean to sound cold, but we have some serious problems in our own country that need to be addressed rather than add another coal to the fire somewhere else.

buttercups

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Sure, sure, that's really going to smooth over the hostilities, lets get America involved.

I know it's of little interest to you but this topic is being discussed on at least two other threads.

Some of us do keep abreast of current affairs.

[/SIZE]
And as we all know by "us" you mean YOU! Because as usual you think you know it all!

buttercups

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Itsnotgonnaspankitself..., post: 2418617]Again, Flynn, you're an example to us all...(just ask you, right?)

So maybe this topic can have a thread of its own...and perhaps, since you don't own the debate section of Jokaroo, Sunburst can start his own thread specifically dedicated to this one topic, rather than using one of the other meandering bitch-and-moan threads that have currently wandered off to mention Georgia and Russia...[/QUOTE]

*clapping* You said it so much better! Good job! :)

buttercups

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 2418635]Getting involved in another crisis is the last thing we should do. We need to stop being the world police and let some of these countries work out their own problems. I don't mean to sound cold, but we have some serious problems in our own country that need to be addressed rather than add another coal to the fire somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

You don't sound cold at all! It is true what you say! :)

[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 2418635]Getting involved in another crisis is the last thing we should do. We need to stop being the world police and let some of these countries work out their own problems. I don't mean to sound cold, but we have some serious problems in our own country that need to be addressed rather than add another coal to the fire somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, Sybarite.

I also think that for Bush to tell Russia that it would be wrong for them to invade Georgia (if that's even what happens) is rather hypocritical. If the Bush administration is allowed to colonize, then Russia should be allowed to as well.

For that, and so many other reasons, I think it would be wise to bring the troops home from Iraq, and let them be their own country and make their own decisions.

I think that alternative fuel sources should be looked into further, and then ultimately developed...and then have incentives be created to promote their usage, in hopes of maybe lessening our dependence on fossil fuels.

[QUOTE="sunburstlespaulhero1989, post: 2418687]I am upset that Russia signed a cease-fire yet they continue to violate it. It seems that this revenge is going deeper than blood.....[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by that, Sunburst?

...the "deeper than blood" part, that is... ;)

I would certainly agree that there is much more to it, but I was just wondering what you meant by it, exactly...

[QUOTE="Itsnotgonnaspankitself..., post: 2418726]What do you mean by that, Sunburst?

...the "deeper than blood" part, that is... ;)

I would certainly agree that there is much more to it, but I was just wondering what you meant by it, exactly...[/QUOTE]

what I meant for it, is that it is personal to the extreme. Those Russians have been known to through some bad fits, this one is no exception to it.

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
wasn't it Georgia that instigated this "war"..?Apparently there are people in Georgia that would rather be Russian ..Russia issued passports to several Georgians..
How did Georgia think Russia would respond to their military manuever to attack the separatist. I understand that Georgia is an ally of the US.. but we should be asking them what they expected to happen by their actions.

[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 2418740]wasn't it Georgia that instigated this "war"..?Apparently there are people in Georgia that would rather be Russian ..Russia issued passports to several Georgians..
How did Georgia think Russia would respond to their military manuever to attack the separatist. I understand that Georgia is an ally of the US.. but we should be asking them what they expected to happen by their actions.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah...I guess the South Ossetians have always been pro old-Russia, or so I hear.

As I understand it, the rest of Georgia is largely pro-democracy, and wants to become part of the UN...along with the Ukraine. Putin, who would probably love to see Russia rebuilt to it's old Soviet Union era glory, at least size-wise (among other things), is eager to see that they don't get the chance. Plus, as it has been mentioned, it would give them control of the pipeline that runs through Georgia.

If Georgia did initiate the attack, then I'm *guessing* it would be to create a united country (united by force, mind you) to present to the UN in their application for membership. From what I have heard though, the UN has been wary of this from the get-go, and sees Georgia as a possible liability...or a timebomb, maybe...and so has put off granting them membership to the UN.

Or at least, that's what I have heard...but I always kinda think of world politics as being like an iceberg...where we only really see a small percentage of the whole picture, and that there is so much that goes on behind the scenes we will never know about...or at least not until 75 years after the fact, when once-classified documents become unclassified. haha...the bastards!

Last edited:

squirt

Administrator
I have to agree with Syb, we need to keep our noses outta something for a change lol

sybarite

[QUOTE="Itsnotgonnaspankitself..., post: 2418796]Well, yeah...I guess the South Ossetians have always been pro old-Russia, or so I hear.

As I understand it, the rest of Georgia is largely pro-democracy, and wants to become part of the UN...along with the Ukraine. Putin, who would probably love to see Russia rebuilt to it's old Soviet Union glory, at least size-wise (among other things), is eager to see that they don't get the chance. Plus, as it has been mentioned, it would give them control of the pipeline that runs through Georgia.

If Georgia did initiate the attack, then I'm *guessing* it would be to create a united country (united by force, mind you) to present to the UN in their application for membership. From what I have heard though, the UN has been wary of this from the get-go, and sees Georgia as a possible liability...or a timebomb, maybe...and so has put off granting them membership to the UN.

Or at least, that's what I have heard...but I always kinda think of world politics as being like an iceberg...where we only really see a small percentage of the whole picture, and that there is so much that goes on behind the scenes we will never know about...or at least not until 75 years after the fact, when once-classified documents become unclassified. haha...the bastards![/QUOTE]

Actually an iceberg is a good simile. You wonder if some top dog politician would look into a debate forum like this and shake his head thinking, "If you only knew.....!!"

Flynn

No.

US, meant the members who had already been discussing it.

My comments were more a reflection of the fact that memebers start a new thread because they haven't bothered to read what has already been posted in debate.

[/SIZE]

[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 2418892]Actually an iceberg is a good simile. You wonder if some top dog politician would look into a debate forum like this and shake his head thinking, "If you only knew.....!!"[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt that there are people out there who know way more about what happens behind the scenes than we could ever hope to know...or maybe would ever want to know.

Well...it would be cool to know at least *some* of it though... ;)

buttercups

Jokeroo Enthusiast
No.

My comments were more a reflection of the fact that memebers start a new thread because they haven't bothered to read what has already been posted in debate.

[/SIZE]

Flynn, You assume too much. It isnt a question of not bothering to read a thread. It may be that they haven't seen it or they want to talk about a particular subject.

No.

[/SIZE]
Oh, flynn...really now.

why do you bother? :huh2:

[QUOTE="buttercups, post: 2419388]Flynn, You assume too much. It isnt a question of not bothering to read a thread. It may be that they haven't seen it or they want to talk about a particular subject.[/QUOTE]

haha...and Bravo to you, my dear lady... :sigh: