Go fund me healthcare?

Vinnie

What is going on. Two people I know, both middle-aged and witundecent jobs gavecstarted gongund me campaigns due to healthcare costs. One for his down and the other after a tick bite.
Is this a sensible way to use resources?

Bamber

Super Moderator
I know of a cancer nurse who has terminal cancer herself. She started a gofundme campaign because the health service, her employer, would not approve the medication she needed. She's currently in remission thanks to what she's raised, but not sure how long it will be affordable.

squirt

Administrator
the money doesn't always all go towards medical care, sometimes it's to help pay the bills, put food on the table
in my son's case, it helped pay for voice typing, something he needed to continue doing his job while his hands weren't working
it was a Godsend! ♥

squirt

Administrator
not from where I'm sittin' ! lol

is there potential for abuse? sure, we've been burned here at the Roo, but it's not our bad for wanting to help, the naughty goes to the person who took advantage of that

Vinnie

not from where I'm sittin' ! lol

is there potential for abuse? sure, we've been burned here at the Roo, but it's not our bad for wanting to help, the naughty goes to the person who took advantage of that
No problem with the go fund me, it's the concept that it is needed to pay for healthcare I have problems with.

Bamber

Super Moderator
In the UK we have the NHS, making healthcare free at the point of delivery, but there are limits places on it by such bodies as the National Institute for Care and Excellence (NICE), which among other things restrict the drugs available. NEVER trust an organisation with a word such as "excellence" in it's name: it is an aspiration they will never achieve. If they were excellent, they wouldn't need to try and trumpet the fact. Having said that, there are limits to what the NHS can afford, and that is what NICE was set up to police.

Some people who believe their healthcare will be better provided for by using such proscribed treatments are those using go fund me to get what they want. An alternative is private personal health insurance (like BUPA), not something common here when we have the NHS to cover most eventualities. Even then there is often "small print" to such insurance which can restrict what is available.

I'm afraid it's still a case of "you gets what you pays for". We're fortunate in the UK that what we pay for (via taxes) is as good a it is, but it will never cover all eventualities.

squirt

Administrator
when my sister had to have a leg amputated because of diabetes, she was in the hospital for about a month, a total of 4 surgeries, plus subsequent surgeries for other issues, plus a titanium prosthetic leg, cost to her: $0
she didn't need go fund me

my son spent several days in the ICU, underwent expensive medical treatments, months of rehab, wheelchair
he has excellent health insurance that covered most of the cost, but he still had co-pays, and he still needed a way to do his job

did he NEED go fund me? he probably could have survived without it, but the funds made things considerably easier during a most difficult time