Gun sales galore as another massacre takes places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

The gun that 20-year-old Adam Lanza used to murder 27 people, and the civilian version of the assault rifle USA troops used in Afghanistan and Iraq.

and

the advertisement placed in today's media

Things have gotten totally out of control if Americans think they need assault rifles to protect themselves.

Flynn

no, it doesn't ... he lived in the home, went to shooting ranges with his mom, why wouldn't he know how to get to the guns?

she never dreamed her own son would shoot her much less 20 children![/COLOR][/B]
She didn't dream about a lot of things doesn't mean she shouldn't share the responsibility of he own actions.

There has been no suggestion that the son was qualified to to have access to his mothers weapons. He was not licensed so even at 20 years of age, his mother should have made sure the guns were not accessible to him.

Flynn

[QUOTE="TakinMyLyfeBack, post: 4162342]? We can all go on and on tilwe are blue in the face, but not change the others mind or point of view...I for one will not change my mind about the rihht we have to bear arms......I don't own a gun, don't want to own one....but every law abiding citizen should have every right to protect their family, and taking the right to bears arms will only make us more susceptible to the criminals that could care less about the laws......don't you getit, a person who is set on causing harm to another person is gonna get the job done no matter what the law says....:hello:[/QUOTE]

It's you who doesn't get it.

Besides for explosives and incendiary devices the next easiest way to kill a lot of people in the shortest amount of time is to do it with an assault rifle. I'm not arguing a case to take guns away from Americans, there are certain weapons that should be banned for ownership by the general public, one of those guns is the Bushmaster semi automatic assault rifle which was used in this latest attack.

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="TakinMyLyfeBack, post: 4162342]? We can all go on and on tilwe are blue in the face, but not change the others mind or point of view...I for one will not change my mind about the rihht we have to bear arms......I don't own a gun, don't want to own one....but every law abiding citizen should have every right to protect their family, and taking the right to bears arms will only make us more susceptible to the criminals that could care less about the laws......don't you getit, a person who is set on causing harm to another person is gonna get the job done no matter what the law says....:hello:[/QUOTE]

So what good would a gun do?

squirt

Administrator
I agree, I see no need to own an assault rifle in civilian life

hindsight is always 20/20 ... we don't know what measures she took or didn't take to secure the weapons *yet*

but the question I have is that they're saying this young man tried to buy a gun a couple of days earlier and wasn't willing to wait - why didn't these people notify authorities?
that should be an automatic response when someone tries to buy a gun and walks out without filling out the application because of the waiting period :thinking:[/COLOR][/B]

Flynn

I agree, I see no need to own an assault rifle in civilian life

hindsight is always 20/20 ... we don't know what measures she took or didn't take to secure the weapons *yet*

but the question I have is that they're saying this young man tried to buy a gun a couple of days earlier and wasn't willing to wait - why didn't these people notify authorities?
that should be an automatic response when someone tries to buy a gun and walks out without filling out the application because of the waiting period :thinking:[/COLOR][/B]
Thank you Squirt.

Ms.Diablo50

Ok, I agree with a lot of this and then again I do not agree with a lot of the statements here. I for one as everyone knows owns and will continue to own my guns. But I also think a assault rifle is not for the average citizen. A 357 or 44 mag is plenty. But what really bugs me about this whole story is.........If this woman KNEW her son was sick(mentally) than what in the hell was she thinking taking him to a gun range to practice? For what??? She worked at the school and was a strict mother? But took her mentally challenged kid to a shooting range? WTH??? I don't care how good of a mother she was supposed to be... You don't take a kid in his state of mind to a range. PERIOD! Makes me think something was wrong with her too.......... JMO

Goodgrief

I am a gun owner. As a matter of fact, I have several. All are registered and very securily locked. The guns are in a gun safe, the bolts are in another safe. The ammo is stored in yet another safe. The purpose of my guns? I'm a target shooter. Paper targets, that is, and just to make sure, the combinations and the keys to all the safes are in a secret place. Should I catch someone breaking into my house, I'd have to use a kitchen knife to defend myself.

So please don't put all the gun owners in the same bag. The man who killed 26 people wasn't a gun owner. He took the gun from his irresponsible mother who should have made it impossible for him to get access to the weapon.
The man was deranged. She wasn't smart enough to see it.
He killed her and took 25 other lives. He's dead, thank God! If you believe anything about the Bible, this man is a sure candidate for hell.

We, in Canada, have had gun registry for a long time. The statistics show that very few registered owners have commited crimes (most are poaching related). Meanwhile, most gun related crimes were committed by unregistered gun owners (black-market acquisitions). You'd think that the border guards would be a little bit more alert when they go through shipments from overseas.

Follow-up to my first post. Details are now showing up. The murdering deranged man had behavioural problems...

likeaneagle

[QUOTE="kipper, post: 4162466]So what good would a gun do?[/QUOTE]im not allowed a gun or any sharp objects!

Flynn

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 4163189]I am a gun owner. As a matter of fact, I have several. All are registered and very securily locked. The guns are in a gun safe, the bolts are in another safe. The ammo is stored in yet another safe. The purpose of my guns? I'm a target shooter. Paper targets, that is, and just to make sure, the combinations and the keys to all the safes are in a secret place. Should I catch someone breaking into my house, I'd have to use a kitchen knife to defend myself.

So please don't put all the gun owners in the same bag. The man who killed 26 people wasn't a gun owner. He took the gun from his irresponsible mother who should have made it impossible for him to get access to the weapon.
The man was deranged. She wasn't smart enough to see it.
He killed her and took 25 other lives. He's dead, thank God! If you believe anything about the Bible, this man is a sure candidate for hell.

We, in Canada, have had gun registry for a long time. The statistics show that very few registered owners have commited crimes (most are poaching related). Meanwhile, most gun related crimes were committed by unregistered gun owners (black-market acquisitions). You'd think that the border guards would be a little bit more alert when they go through shipments from overseas.

Follow-up to my first post. Details are now showing up. The murdering deranged man had behavioural problems...

[/QUOTE]

As a gun owner you have a different attitude to gun safety to some Americans who posted on the thread about having a hand gun strapped to the steering column of a car.

Taking the safety and security precautions you do negates your gun being a protective tool.....makes it hard to shoot an intruder if you have the gun, bolt and ammunition in different locations.

Flynn

The NRA's response to the recent shooting deaths of school children.

Quote......... NRA vice president Wayne LaPierre

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

I call on Congress today to act immediately to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every single school in this nation.

Wayne went on to demand

Quote....lawmakers to station armed police officers in all schools by the time students return from the Christmas break in January.

Can you imagine how much it would cost to put an armed police officer in every school ?

Where does it stop ?

The last USA mass shooting was at a picture theatre. There are so many places you'd have to protect, shopping malls, hospitals, transport terminals and services, sporting events, places of worship etc etc ........

Bring the troops home and redeploy them in towns and cities across the USA to prevent civilians from killing one and other with the semi automatic assault weapons that the NRA approve of for use by USA home owners.

Vinnie

I've said it before, the US citizens seem to be so frightened that unless there is a major cultural change, nothing is going to happen.

australia managed it, the UK managed it. Are there illegal guns in both places? Of course there are but the population mandated the removal of guns from much of society and surprise surprise, a fascist state did not appear and no more people were murdered in their beds than were killed before.

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Vinnie, post: 4165588]I've said it before, the US citizens seem to be so frightened that unless there is a major cultural change, nothing is going to happen.

australia managed it, the UK managed it. Are there illegal guns in both places? Of course there are but the population mandated the removal of guns from much of society and surprise surprise, a fascist state did not appear and no more people were murdered in their beds than were killed before.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I have guards with flame throwers hiding in the bushes just in case that's not really the postman coming down the drive, ok ok they've falsely barbecued a few (serves them right for not having their post office cap on) and the least said about the missing Jehovah's witnesses the better. I also have the latest surface to air missiles on the roof just in case they try to fly a Jumbo Jet into my chimney pot, made a mess of Santa's reindeer's though I have to say.
And the land mines on the front lawn do keep intruders away, and most of the local dog population if the truth is told, so! let's be careful out there....

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
There IS no easy solution... Take away all the guns and the idiots will be making bombs. The problem is with violence and rage. I am older...When I went to school, the schools were NOT locked...in fact, when the weather was nice, the doors were wide open all day. There was never a problem...or even the thought of a problem. Of course, back in those days parents AND teachers were allowed to spank naughty kids...we started each school day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a non-denominational prayer, and the teachers were called "sir" or "maam". Whether or not a child mastered the school work, we ALL learned respect. These days, kids have "rights" and they have tender little psyches that must be protected.

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="muchtrouble10, post: 4165591]There IS no easy solution... Take away all the guns and the idiots will be making bombs. The problem is with violence and rage. I am older...When I went to school, the schools were NOT locked...in fact, when the weather was nice, the doors were wide open all day. There was never a problem...or even the thought of a problem. Of course, back in those days parents AND teachers were allowed to spank naughty kids...we started each school day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a non-denominational prayer, and the teachers were called "sir" or "maam". Whether or not a child mastered the school work, we ALL learned respect. These days, kids have "rights" and they have tender little psyches that must be protected.[/QUOTE]

So why have guns? not much protection if they throw a bomb through the window. Point everyone seems to miss is the fact you cannot guard against surprise, you may be armed to the teeth but the innocent kid walking towards you decides on the spur of the moment to stick a knife in your head your guns ain't worth shit...

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
Yes We Need More Gun Control

[jimg]n5o2/z3/Y/X/h/e/a.baa-.jpg[/jimg]​

Remember what Hitler did when he took them away from the Jews?

Goodgrief

Let's talk about gun control.
Should anybody be allowed to own a belt-fed weapon? In my opinion, NO.
Should anyone be interviewed deeply before being allowed to own a gun? YES
Should everyone follow strict locking up procedures? YES
Should everone have issues with strange behaviour in the family enforce strict locking up procedures? DUH! That is a definite YES.
Sorry, folks, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Dumb people create dumber people.

But it doesn't stop at guns. It starts with awareness or the lack of it. Little Johnny isn't the social type, he has no friends, spends most of his time on the computer. You hardly can have a conversation with him. ??? Dont you think there's something wrong?
Aren't the parents aware of this?
Drugs can be a huge factor as well. A tragic incident happened about 10 years ago. Some teeenagers had a party while the parents were out of town. The parents had a samurai sword in display in their living room. The party raged on, one kid thought he was a ninja. One teenager was decapitated.
No, it's not the weapon's fault.

The onus is on the weapon owner's responsibility.

Vinnie

Great, lets make it harder to get guns but then you also need to keep up these checks because people change. You also need to make sure they do not drink since that can change their mental state. Make certain no other in the household is "mentally unstable" as well. What of children in the house? How are you going to store them?

why do other countries where there is much gun ownership not have such high levels of gun violence?

Status
Not open for further replies.