Just By Some Strange Chance...............

Oct 17, 2004
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=bodytext><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=deeplinks>

I remember when this fella disappeared from Wichita Falls, TX. I had forgotten all about it until I saw this.
I thought I'd post it, just on the off chance that maybe someone out there might see it and know something that would help. I can only imagine what his parents are going through.
It's worth my time to post it.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Missing son leaves years of heartache

Keith Mann

By Jessica Langdon/Times Record News
May 10, 2005

Gregg Mann knows something most people never will.

He knows what it's like to live with the questions, frustration and desperation that come from more than half a decade without even a clue as to what happened to his son.

Today marks eight years since Gregory Keith Mann Jr. - known as Keith - vanished without a trace.

"I feel like someone here in the Wichita Falls area knows what happened to him," Mann said. "I'm just pleading that somebody will come forth."

Keith was 20 on May 10, 1997, the last time anyone reported seeing him.

Wichita Falls police Sgt. Cindy Walker said friends dropped him off at his home at the Fountaingate Apartments that night.

"They saw him walking up the stairs to his apartment," Walker said. "That was it."

Mann said his son had gone out with a couple - a co-worker and his fiance - and he told them he needed to get home around midnight because he had to meet someone.

"He didn't, of course, tell them who it was," Mann said.

No one knows what happened to Keith from the time he walked up the stairs that Mother's Day weekend in 1997.

Mann said his son didn't have anything - even enough money to use the pay phone - while he'd been out.

He didn't take his personal belongings from his apartment, Mann said.

His credit cards have never been used, Walker said. There's never been a match to his fingerprints.

"We've had nothing," she said. He was just gone.

The car he was driving - a red Ford Mustang - was found in a church parking lot on McNiel Street, close to his family's home, Walker said. The car belonged to Ron Roberts Ford, where Keith used to work.

"We'd sure like to know what happened to him," Mann said.

He doesn't believe a 20-year-old would walk away from everything with no resources and not return.

Mother's Day always makes the emptiness left by Keith's disappearance even more powerful, but the family thinks about it all the time.

"It's on your mind every day," Mann said.

"Try to put yourself in our place," is what he'd say to anyone who could offer some information about his son. "They'd sure like to know what happened to one of their kids."

Gregg Mann and his wife, Debra Mann, have a flier with Keith's picture posted at their work at the TMN & O Bus Station.

"It's still up there," he said. "We won't take it down."

They place newspaper ads around the anniversary of his disappearance.

"We do everything we can - and I still will - until we find him," Mann said.

They won't give up on hope of finding out what happened, even though they don't hold out hope for good news.

"My wife was more optimistic than I was that maybe he took off in the beginning," Mann said. "I never have been."

He's convinced something happened to his son.

Keith's younger sisters are 20 and 17 now. The elder had a son of her own in February.

"We thought he was going to be born on Keith's birthday," Mann said.

Keith graduated from Rider High School in 1995 and attended a year of junior college in Gainesville on a baseball scholarship, Mann said.

He described Keith as polite and quiet.

"You don't expect something to happen to your kids before something happens to you," he said.

"Just please help us with it," he said. "We're desperate."


The Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse Online Bulletin describes Keith Mann's case type as "endangered."

The Web site gives this description of him:

- White male with brown hair and blue eyes

- 5 feet 6 inches, weighing 160 pounds at the time of his disappearance May 10, 1997

- Chicken pox scar on his nose and a scar on his left earlobe

- Last seen wearing blue jeans, an ivory shirt, brown shoes and a beige baseball cap. "I just want somebody to come forth and say what happened to him," Keith's father, Gregg Mann, said Monday. Anyone with information on Keith Mann's disappearance is asked to call the Department of Public Safety at (940) 851-5500.