LOVE! (Harvey Style)

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
There is so much written about hate, cruelty, and dissension all over the world that I wanted to mention there IS another side. I spent most of Friday searching for info about hurricane Harvey, making sure my daughter living in San Antonio would be safe, then got caught up in watching the hurricane come to shore. Saturday was spent checking out the damage, and today (Sunday) I popped on to find out any new developments. Well...I ended up spending the day watching the folks in Houston. Over and over again I saw folks who had lost everything struggling to higher ground, and then stopping to help someone else. Instead of moaning about their problems they were grateful to be alive and had faith that somehow, everything would work out just fine. There was a lot of talk about the "Texas spirit"...but it was so much more than that. I noticed the same thing during the 9/11 crisis and a few other disasters.

I have a feeling that if I turned on my television for "News at 11" I would have seen very little of of the stuff I saw happening repeatedly. Yet, it was the same people filming and interviewing all these "angels in disguise". I might start watching television again if I saw more about the heroes and less about the looters.

[video=youtube;53XyCbIJGKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53XyCbIJGKY[/video]

Bamber

Super Moderator
I couldn't agree more Mary, people on the whole will help out those in trouble even when having the same problems themselves. The media appear to prefer highlighting the bad side of human nature over the good; it is heartening to see not everyone is full of anger and spite.

AuroraAngel

I agree with both of you. In fact, I want to do my part to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey. So much more can be done than just praying, not that prayers are not helpful. I am a firm believer in working with my prayers to make changes in my life and to help my friends and family when they are in need. ♥

I made this .png this morning for Houston and linked mine in my signature to the Red Cross website online for those who wish to donate and help the good people of Texas during this crisis...

I donated this morning to the Red Cross. I just wish I could do more. God bless Texas and the U.S.A.

squirt

Administrator
it's overwhelming, as I sit here fighting back the tears that seem to always be right on the edge of opening the flood gates
yes, the spirit of Texas is a fighting one, we're tough and we get through, and we help one another!
the people who think the most important thing right now is stuff don't even deserve a single second of spot light ... that is until they're prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
same with the price gougers!
10 states have sent supplies, countless cities have sent support in the form of electricians, first responders, and medical staff
and there's been an endless stream of people looking to help, from bringing their boats to help in the rescue efforts, to those at the convention center in Houston just looking to give comfort wherever possible
these are the heroes, these are the folks deserving of the spotlight, they will never know how much their kindness has meant, even to me, over 200 miles away from the affected area
does love trump hate? every single time! :rose:

squirt

Administrator
sooner or later, the conversation always turns to money, it has to
the cost of what's happening in Houston will be in proportion to the enormity of the disaster
but back there, back in time somewhere, somebody loved Texans so much, that they wanted to make sure future Texans were taken care of
turns out, we have a $10 billion dollar rainy day fund (no pun intended)
so these people are gonna be alright, we just have to do what we can to get them over the rough times, meaning food, blankets, supplies, dry clothes, and a safe place to sleep
this is where YOUR love is shining brightly in the hearts of Texans everywhere! ♥

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
The friends that I have in Texas, Louisisana & Florida tell me what they need most is what Squrit said: food, blankets, supplies, dry clothes and animal feed.

I love this one AuroraAngel and putting it on my FB page if you don't mind.

AuroraAngel

[QUOTE="stevent222, post: 5084249]The friends that I have in Texas, Louisisana & Florida tell me what they need most is what Squrit said: food, blankets, supplies, dry clothes and animal feed.

I love this one AuroraAngel and putting it on my FB page if you don't mind.

[/QUOTE]

I don't mind at all, Steven. ♥ And thank you & Squirt both for clearing up what was truly needed down in Texas. :littleheart:

squirt

Administrator
somebody actually had the nerve to ask Governor Abbott if they were inquiring about immigration status when they rescue people
this isn't about who you are or where you came from, this is about preserving life, wherever it's found
do people really think that these folks are giving a second thought to who they rescue?
I say again! THIS is what love looks like!

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
I saw that and you have no idea how F ing mad I got HA So did the person being asked the question I think it was Governor Abbottand he put the reporter right in his place. Also saw some Senitor ask the same question DAM You Know They Had To Be Democrats.

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
[QUOTE="AuroraAngel, post: 5084252]I don't mind at all, Steven. ♥ And thank you & Squirt both for clearing up what was truly needed down in Texas. :littleheart: [/QUOTE]

You know that any of the charities will only ask for money cause that is how they work. One of the reasons why I love Anheure-Busch Budweiser they stop bottling beer and bottle water just like they do in any of these tragates.

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
[QUOTE="squirt, post: 5083665]this is what love looks like:

he went until he literally couldn't go anymore! ♥
[/QUOTE]

A person could say that he is just doing his "job"...but NO job requires a person to push themselves to that point of exhaustion! When the figures are quoted for the number of rescuers in Houston, they are only talking about the professionals...there is no way to figure out how many people were helping anyone they could with their own boats, air mattresses, or anything else that could float. I have heard that at the shelters, one out of every five people who arrived were volunteers.

At one point a cameraman and reporter were going around in a boat getting the stories and picking up people, when the cameraman came out of one house (in waist deep water) and told the reporter that the lady coming out had alzheimer's and they needed to show "sensitivity"! When is the last time you heard something like that from a national news network? (The camera was turned off and the reporter kept quiet except to make comforting noises.)

squirt

Administrator
somewhere there is a pic of a line of people on a road, it looks like people lined up for water or maybe waiting on a bus to take them to a shelter
but the line of people is actually people waiting to be put to good use!

Goodgrief

My heart goes out to everyone affected by the hurricane. So many people whose lives are in total chaos. This is not something that is deserved. I know many Texans and many southerners who had to be the victims of hurricanes.. They are good people. I wish I could be there to help save lives.

squirt

Administrator
Dallas Zoo is welcoming Hurricane Harvey evacuees, free of charge. Officials at the zoo say it's just part of how they can help disaster victims who have come to North Texas. Guests who took advantage of the free admission offered by the Dallas Zoo Wednesday said it was an emotional relief. Zoo officials say more than 1,200 South Texas evacuees showed up on Wednesday. The free admission for Harvey evacuees continues through the weekend and into Labor Day. Officials say anybody affected by the devastation in the Houston area is welcome to enjoy the zoo for free during that time.

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
Yes I've slowed down on reading the stuff some people are putting on Facebook only to see more hatefull and disrespectful use of this disaster asking for monies and using that money to support something else intirely.

Tell the truth I haven't donatated anything to anyone there and plan not to also. I would rather gather a huge box of blankets & whatever and find out an address of a citys police or fire department and send them there. That way I know my contribution will be used for the perpuse it was intended for.

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
Love comes in many forms...

[video=youtube;73o_axuS0qU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73o_axuS0qU[/video]