New Forums & Latest Updates

jokaroo

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

It's been a long while since I've posted here, but happy to be back. We've made some serious updates as follows:

1. Mobile ready website! You can easily surf and post via your phone (which I'm doing now!).
2. A complete upgrade to our forums, new server, new software, and new basically everything.
3. Major spam prevention software that will prevent the need for moderators to screen as vigrous as they have in the past.

All this is in hopes that we can start growing our community again, adding new forums and topics. All suggestions on what forums to add or on how we can expand and grow are welcome.

PS... If anyone has any ideas on how we can grow a paying member model, that would be even better so we can support the costs somehow.

squirt

Administrator
I still think a donation button would be a good idea, but I'll put some thought into a paying member model
I just don't see people paying to do things that they could do elsewhere for free

KingHomie

Sex for Brains
Sorry to say, as much as I like the Roo, I would not be willing to pay for something I can do for nothing else where. I have been a member here a very long time as you can see and would hate to leave the Roo.

jokaroo

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, this is just a discussion, keeping the ads are fine. I'm just looking for new ideas? Better ideas, etc.

Maybe a new Vault, but all current members get free access, and new members would have to pay? But what would be inside the vault to make it exciting?

Or maybe a membership to remove the ads?

squirt

Administrator
a new vault may be a good idea once we start to grow again, but one of the problems with the old vault is that it was no fun to be where our friends couldn't be, new or old (friends)

you sparked my interest in that paying to remove the ads though, I'd sure do it lol

likeaneagle

Photo bucket upped the price of a free web site. I dont see many ppl paying. just saying......

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
As I write, we have 8 members signed in ~ and 226 guests ~ I'm not too sure that a charge would make it any better.
As far as the ads are concerned, well that's simple, people just have an 'ad blocker' if they don't want them, so paying to have them removed I don't think will solve that one.
Anyone with any sense and understanding will realise that it costs $$ to run a site like this ~ so what about a monthly 'something' [lottery, gift voucher ~ something that gives a money return] which costs the member a couple of $ or so to enter ~ not saying this is an answer ~ but just throwing it into the pot of ideas.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
The obvious answer would be 'yes' dear Squirt ~ but then you have to look at the amount, and how often ~ it is a minefield to get it right ~ without being insensitive here to 'any' member ~ we have a range of ages, and I would think a range of disposable income ~ so a donate button would be a problem to some, it wouldn't be to others ~ and others would just turn round and say 'Why'.

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
what if you made it so people would have to sign in to view the boards?..just allow them minimal abilities to browse to get a sample of what the ROO is all about..i know some forums i visit for psp tips and tutorials do this..also pinterest forces a sign up and log in to view their site

KingHomie

Sex for Brains
I would not like that,, let people come in and look, maybe they would like what they see and thus,, more membership-- that's what got me into the original Roo, if I had been denied that feature I probably wouldn't be here today

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
I would not like that,, let people come in and look, maybe they would like what they see and thus,, more membership-- that's what got me into the original Roo, if I had been denied that feature I probably wouldn't be here today
but all those lurkers are not becoming members..it is just a way to increase membership..it isnt like thet don get to see..just limit what they can see..like pinterest does

KingHomie

Sex for Brains
well I still disagree and that's why I joined,, I was able to be a lurker, as you call it. Had I NOT been able to be a Lurker and see all, I would not have become a member. Unlike the rest of you the Roo is the only place I have joined other than facebook which I don't go there, maybe once every six months or so, then Refugees and that is it. I do not go to any other sites other than the Roo. But that is just me, I have a life other than the computer all day long.

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
but all those lurkers are not becoming members..it is just a way to increase membership..it isnt like thet don get to see..just limit what they can see..like pinterest does
Here's my take, the Roo has 101,000 members and about 30 of us posts.. Any new members that have joined make an introduction and thats about it, I think limiting the Roo's access wouldn't really make a difference, they would join and lurk from there. Just my thoughts

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Here's my take, the Roo has 101,000 members and about 30 of us posts.. Any new members that have joined make an introduction and thats about it, I think limiting the Roo's access wouldn't really make a difference, they would join and lurk from there. Just my thoughts
it seems to work well for Pinterest...lol
what would you suggest jokeroo do to grow this place?..i am out of ideas:emoji_thinking::emoji_kissing_heart:

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
it seems to work well for Pinterest...lol
what would you suggest jokeroo do to grow this place?..i am out of ideas:emoji_thinking::emoji_kissing_heart:
Pinterest is a completely different site, it's a popular pinning website. I am pretty sure the social media sites took a lot of our old members I know I see most of them on Facebook and I have done what I could as far as posting the link to the Roo, and trying to persuade them to come back. There is even a Jokeroo Facebook group where many post. It's just technology and personal preference but I'm just guessing. I don't think there's any real way to bring them back unless they want to. I saw a couple come on after Rooman sent out an email to everyone and that was it.

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Pinterest is a completely different site, it's a popular pinning website. I am pretty sure the social media sites took a lot of our old members I know I see most of them on Facebook and I have done what I could as far as posting the link to the Roo, and trying to persuade them to come back. There is even a Jokeroo Facebook group where many post. It's just technology and personal preference but I'm just guessing. I don't think there's any real way to bring them back unless they want to. I saw a couple come on after Rooman sent out an email to everyone and that was it.
you are right..it is a different setup..the old members know how this place works and we cant rope them back...lol
its new faces and new membership that needs to increase..how to do it is anyone's guess

Bamber

Super Moderator
Separate Domestic Policy and Foreign Policy boards? Really? Many active members are non-US, so the titles are meaningless - this is a truly international forum. It doesn't look as though anyone has any interest in them either, so they are just useless clutter.