Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jokaroo

Administrator
Staff member
I think its time we bring back the newsletter and member of the month that exclusively focuses on our forums. Here is the format I'm thinking:

Tuesdays & Fridays
- Best funny picture post
- Most controversial post
- Fact of the day
- On the 1st Tuesday of every month, we announce a member of the mom (no one can win more than once a year)

I'm looking for more ideas and possibly someone to help me pick the content twice a week, so feel free to comment.

squirt

Administrator
we actually kept POD going for a long long time, but it died out due to lack of participation
we could draw members into the process, let them make suggestions, then pick one out of what they suggest, perhaps a staff vote
it was the newsletter that got me here!

Bamber

Super Moderator
I don't think we have enough members at the moment to make POD or member of the month worthwhile, but it's one to keep in mind if membership increases.

I wish I could think of a way of increasing membership, but people seem to be getting less interested in forums; those we've managed to get signed up recently don't seem to stay long.

squirt

Administrator
agreed ... we just don't have enough people posting
a new thread is rare these days, though we could highlight some of our favorites

jokaroo

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe we can offer Amazon gift cards to get it going again? Like $25 gift card to a store of choice, once per month. I'd do it if we could grow again, just not sure how to start growing again.

Bamber

Super Moderator
That's the thing: we need to get our thinking caps on to find a way to make the forums attractive to the right sort of new member.

From what I can see our strengths are our humour in all the funny threads, our creativity in the graphics threads and our community spirit overall. We should try to find a way to build from there.

squirt

Administrator
it's not that folks aren't motivated to post, it's that they're just not here
even when a new thread is posted, it usually only gets one or two replies, which is discouraging lol
that's what prompted ending the POD program
you've let them know we're open for business again, it's already reaping some rewards, that was an excellent move! (y)
we need a "window" ... a way for folks to get a peek in and see what we do
it was the sigs that got my attention, it was the humor that drew me in

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
I do think the Newsletter is a good move. OK we need members [we have some new ones] but as has been said already, they appear not to become regular. I think there are a few reasons for this, and it has nothing really to do with the Roo ~ it's just the computer 'social media' as a whole.
I see people everyday walking down the street, waiting to be served in shops, and all they can do, it press buttons on their bloody phones.
So a monthly reminder to 'all' signed up members would at least jog their memories that we are here.
As far as posting on a new thread is concerned ~ well there's a problem here because the regular members we do have are split into different areas, mine being Finished Material, photo's of any sort [typical man thing] where as others prefer other threads which only rarely do I have the time to explore, it's not that I'm not interested, it's just the time.
Regarding the idea about a monthly voucher again it's a creative idea, but I was concerned about Jokaroo's comment to 'get it going again' ~ if you start something like this ~ then it has to be something that you are prepared to keep going, because there will be a percentage of members who will become regular just because of the possibility of receiving a voucher.
So certainly lets have the Newsletter ~ and hopefully a combination of thoughts from various ideas can come up with something else which would also kick start a drive and maintain it.

squirt

Administrator
I thought maybe, just for starters ... you could add a "check out our forums" type thing to the Rumble newsletter you already send out
I get that newsletter, and visit Rumble quite regularly via that newsletter

squirt

Administrator
it's how we're gonna kick YouTube's butt lol

Rumble is a (our) video site, it's what's had jokaroo occupied for the last couple of years, just type Rumble into your search engine, it's easy to find

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
i like bringing back the newsletter idea..but as far as rewarding with a monetary prize..i dont like that idea
i am not an expert on how forums run but when a reward of anything monetary seems to be involved..like it was years ago...people got upset
when they didnt win and gave the roo a bad rap
i like squirts idea about a check out the forum button in you rumble newsletter...just my 2 cents worth