Papal infallibility?

Tsalagi

A. P. says, "
Pope Francis admitted Wednesday he made "grave errors" in judgment in Chile's sex abuse scandal and invited the victims he had discredited to Rome to beg their forgiveness.

In an extraordinary public letter, Francis also summoned all of Chile's bishops to the Vatican for an emergency meeting in the coming weeks to discuss repairing the damage from the scandal, which has badly tarnished his reputation and that of the Chilean church.

The Vatican orders up such emergency visits only on rare occasions, such as when American bishops were summoned in 2002 after the clerical sex abuse scandal exploded in the U.S. and in 2010 when Irish bishops received a comprehensive Vatican dressing down for their botched handling of abuse cases.

Francis blamed a lack of "truthful and balanced information" for his missteps in judging the case of Bishop Juan Barros, a protege of Chile's most notorious predator priest, the Rev. Fernando Karadima. Francis strongly defended the bishop during his January visit to Chile despite accusations by victims that Barros had witnessed and ignored their abuse.

In Chile and during an airborne press conference returning to Rome, Francis accused the victims of "calumny" for pressing their case against Barros, demanded they present "proof" of their claims and revealed he had twice rejected Barros' resignation.

"I am convinced he is innocent," the pope insisted.

Goodgrief

Gawd! Don't get me going about the Catholics! I was grabbed at birth, fed bull shit and decided my head couldn't take that crap anymore!

Are the Jokeroo pages big enough to contain thousands of years of misinformation and brain-washing? Don't think so!

Infallibility was only instilled long after the first Pope was elected. Pius XII sent thousands of Jews to the gas chambers. Good person, wasn't he?

Yeah, Mr. T. You really touched a sore spot on me.

all religion are fake, but if its your tradition what the heck as long as it follows the law ... i do follow my religion as a tradition

Vinnie

Papal infallibility is only applicable to matters of doctrain of the faith. This has nothing to do with Papal infallibility. It has nothing to do with doctrain.

Tsalagi

So Priests can molest and violate their holy vows of chastity, and the Pope can cover it up and call the victims liars? What is doctrine, then?
How can you then trust him in any pronouncement?

Vinnie

No, he can't but that has nothing to do with the doctrine of Papal Infallibility.

Tsalagi

Care to define "the Church"? How does this entity restrain/remove/punish an errant Pope?

Vinnie

You might have heard of the reformation, I'm not certain if it's made it to your area yet.

Tsalagi

You might have heard of the reformation, I'm not certain if it's made it to your area yet.
Of course I have. That's when Calvin, Luther, Knox, et. al. left the Catholic Church and founded their own version of Christianity. But that doesn't address the question of punishing or removing the sitting Pope.
'Cause I know the Dark Ages methods were kidnapping, placing him in a dungeon, poisoning (a al Borgias), garotting, stabbing, and drowning, to name a few. But how would he Church, as an institution do it today? They retired the Panzer Pope, but what about Pope Frankie?

Vinnie

To be honest, I have no idea. I think the college of Cardinals have the power to remove a sitting Pope but you'd have toask someone who knows Canon Law a lot better than me.