The plural of mongoose

THE PLURAL OF MONGOOSE

What is the plural of “mongoose”? A popular joke in Australia goes thus.

The keeper of the Adelaide Zoo wants to order two of these creatures from the keeper of the Perth Zoo. So he begins to write, “Kindly send us two mongeese,” since the plural of “goose” is “geese”. But instinctively he realises something is wrong, and decides to amend it. He tears it up and writes again, “Kindly send us two mongooses,” since the plural is formed normally by adding an S. Again he is doubtful, so he rewrites, “Kindly send us two mongoose,” presuming that “mongoose” follows the example of “sheep” and “deer”, which remain unchanged in the plural. Still he is dissatisfied, and tries “mongi”, “mongoosen”, “mongoossi” and “mongice”, after the examples of “fungus”, “ox”, “bandit” and “mouse” changing in the plural to “fungi”, “oxen”, “banditti” and “mice” respectively. But none of them look O.K. to him. He finally writes, “Kindly send us one mongoose, and while you’re at it, send us another one.”

Now, the question that remains for you friends is: what is the plural of “mongoose”?

Last edited:

Mean Ol' Man

Nigeljs, you are absolutely correct
The plural of MONGOOSE is MONGOOSES...however most people use mongoose as the plural, especially in Hawaii, where the language is somewhat skewed by the local dialect called "PIDGIN"
Mongooses are actually a rodent that eat small and large insects and other small rodents and SNAKES are their mortal enemy...they are a very fast creature and funny and can be made tame, just like a ferret.

Thank you for the correction, and apologies to everyone for the mistake in the first place.
(tear of sorrow and shame shed here)

Tickles,
Joe

wife

lol Thanks to both of you for the joke and the education... Now I'll know should I decide to order any mongoose. No need for tears Mean Ol' Man but tickles?

gods angel

Jokeroo VIP Status
Nigeljs said:
Well, friends? What is the plural?

Mongooses accordingly to the Websters Dictionary. But I was told by college professors that it was Mongoose Who knows.... Great post Thanks for the laugh