The power of a "click"

squirt

Administrator
Up until recently, I would peruse the front pages of news stories, sports, entertainment, and click on any title that sparked an interest
and then I began hearing, really hearing, what they were saying about "clicks"
news story titles are designed to get you to click, and in this day and age, you can click on a title thinking you're gonna get one kind of story, and end up with the complete opposite
and let's not forget the disinformation campaign that is plaguing the globe, who cares if it's true or not as long as it gets you to click
more clicks mean more advertisers, more money
so I got to thinking about this, and I decided I didn't want to add revenue to certain sites, nor do I want them thinking that there's an increased interest in their line of reporting
now I'm a lot more careful about what I click, I always check the source first
I've made a mental list of sites that have proven to be deceptive with their story titles and refuse to click their links
we might not have a lot of power, but we do have the power to click or not click

Tsalagi

Would you like to share your list? I know that I am avoiding Yahoo as much as possible due to their hard left proclivities.

Goodgrief

Bravo! I'm a dinosaur and still subscribe to 2 newspapers. One is a right wing, the other one is your usual left-wing-nut rag. I buy the things mostly for the editorial comments, the cartoons and the obits. I do the same with T.V, if I want to get down to the nitty-gritty news, I watch Fox.
I avoid FacePlant. I have very good security devices on my computer. I'm not saying they will be good forever.
Ya know, nothing has changed for thousands of years. Foot messengers were captured and robbed of their letters. Carrier pigeons were shot to get messages, stage coaches were robbed, so were trains. etc, etc.

Most of the time, the viral shots are shown during the evening news on T.V. Not getting a virus from those....

squirt

Administrator
Would you like to share your list? I know that I am avoiding Yahoo as much as possible due to their hard left proclivities.
Yahoo is one of the worst lol 1high5.gif
Newsweek is bad about misleading titles, Huffington Post is just a rag, not worthy of the title of news source
just about anything that comes out of San Francisco isn't trustworthy
The Cheat Sheet is another

for the pros: the AP is a great neutral source, as are the smaller "local" newspapers
I like The Hill (most days) and The Federalist
Ben Shapiro is editor for The Daily Wire, he's not for everybody, but I like him, and the reporting The Daily Wire does

squirt

Administrator
How disinformation on the internet propagates...
echo chamber is spot on!
and the correction or evidence of a story being false doesn't travel nearly as fast or as far

he did bring up a good point I already wanted to make: we can use clicks to promote sites we like
now when I see a story title from a source I like, I click whether I'm interested in the story or not, just to show support

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
it's real similar to changing the channel when we don't like TV programming, except my TV will never be on channels like CNN to begin with, I will not contribute to their ratings!
I always go to CNN only cause I love to be entertained.

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
What makes one site right and one site wrong is a matter of opinion to me, its like me and my hubby he believes in things
I don't and vice versa.. Whose to say a certain site is right just because that's what you believe. No one really knows what
goes on behind the scenes its only what the news sources show us and what we want to believe.

To me its a lot of click bait.. sometimes I'll click on something and it doesn't even show what it originally announced the link was about
the internet scares me I'm afraid of virus's and lately someone getting my information much like what Facebook is going through now.

squirt

Administrator
To me its a lot of click bait.. sometimes I'll click on something and it doesn't even show what it originally announced the link was about
the internet scares me I'm afraid of virus's and lately someone getting my information much like what Facebook is going through now.

THAT is my point, don't fall for the click bait

it's not about declaring which sites are good and which ones are bad, that's going to be as different as we are
it's about not supporting those you disagree with clicks, it's about being more aware of the power in YOUR clicks, no matter who "you" are
the only reason I offered those on my list is because I was asked

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
Okay don't get mad I got confused I guess... my comment about what sites are right or not was just a statement wasn't
accusing anyone of anything

Last edited:

squirt

Administrator
I'm sorry you thought I was mad, I was in a hurry lol
we wanted to leave for the restaurant at 4PM & it was 3:52PM when I posted that lol

all I wanted to say is that we might not want to be as careless with clicks as I have been in the past, they matter, they are our voice
1kissheart.gif

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
I'm sorry you thought I was mad, I was in a hurry lol
we wanted to leave for the restaurant at 4PM & it was 3:52PM when I posted that lol

all I wanted to say is that we might not want to be as careless with clicks as I have been in the past, they matter, they are our voice View attachment 11659
No worries.. Hope you had a good time 🌹

Vinnie

Well I do have a degree of sympathy for those of you in the States. In October while I was there I passed a TV showing the Sunday morning politics discussion including input from the Whitehouse Correspondant from ....Playboy. I had to check twice.