This morning

squirt

Administrator
there ARE advantages to getting up at the butt crack of dawn, not that I'll ever see them *again* lol
beautiful!!!
xsandos1.gif

Bamber

Super Moderator
The walk to work coincided with high tide today. It was calm, cold and clear, Snipe Island was flooded and mist was rising from the river, blurring the border between the rivers Hems and Dart.

Magical margin
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

I find natural borders intriguing, even more so when they are hard to define.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I almost missed this, can't say I've ever noticed the phenomenon before. The rising sun was shining onto the windows of the office building on the west bank of The Dart and refracting, showing as rainbow colours where it reflected on the ripples in the river.

Refracted river reflections

What would it be called: a windowbow? A riverbow? A waterbow?

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
It has snowed for most of the morning, generally fairly light but a couple of times like this.
It's due to be heavier with strong winds tomorrow, then freezing rain and gales on Friday. Oh joy.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I reached the river about 90 minutes after high tide, and it was a high tide, Riverside Walk was still flooded in places.

I've seen a thin rime of ice on the river before but nothing like this.

Hello Floe

Bamber

Super Moderator
We'd obviously had some freezing rain as well as snow as, you can see by the coating of ice on the fence.

A hard ice coating

In places where the tide at its highest had covered the path the snow had retained the river water, so even though I was walking above the tide line once I stepped through the crust of the snow I was paddling. A good test for my boots, which kept my feet warm and dry.

Goodgrief

Weather like this in your part of the world must be a disaster. For us, it's just another winter day in Canada. I had to go to a dental appointment today. Our weather is pretty much like yours. The roads were in terrible shape. Car crashes everywhere. Why?
Idiots who don't slow down when roads are icy and stupid car owners who don't have snow tires.
The dentist's office is only a mile away. But still, it was an interesting drive.