This morning

Bamber

Super Moderator
Not quite so much wildlife on the river this morning, probably as I was a little later on my walk to work. The cormorant was once again drying off and preening on its favourite perch.

Sun dried
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
I didn't get round to posting these yesterday, what with being busy at work and facebook throwing a wobbler for me.

Snipe Island usually has a few mallard on its fringes but this is the first time I have seen such a collection sleeping at the very southern tip. Sord and dopping are just two of the many collective nouns which can be applied to ducks. I quite like badelynge too.

Snipe Island sord

Bamber

Super Moderator
As I passed under Brutus Bridge this young male blackbird flew down onto the path from the opposite direction. He pretty much ignored me until he had bashed the snail he was carrying from its shell and eaten it, then cocked an eye at me and flew off.

Snail snack

Another shot where I was thankful I take 10 shot bursts as I was able to make a gif from them again.

Bamber

Super Moderator
There was some rain overnight, not much I think as there were no puddles and most paths were dry, but it has made things very humid.

I disturbed this female mandarin as I walked beside the river. Nowhere near as colourful as her mate, I still immediately identified her from her shape and markings.

Mrs Mandarin

Bamber

Super Moderator
I decided to take a slight diversion through Bridgetown to see what hanging baskets Paul and Laura at the Four Seasons Guest House have this year.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
There are normally a couple of troughs of flowers too, and a few more baskets. I think they may take them in overnight, as we have a problem with people stealing and vandalising them, so I was probably a little early to see the best of the display.

Bamber

Super Moderator
A little way to the left of the previous photo is where Station Road starts, branching off from Fore Street about half way up, by The King William IV pub, commonly called The King Bill.

King Bill corner

Arcturus Books on the left used to be in the building just this side of the tree on the right, now a cafe.