This morning

Bamber

Super Moderator
Oh yes, I forgot to say: Grack and Grock seem to have made up, they were together by Brutus Bridge this morning so I fed them both there.

Bamber

Super Moderator
The first local weather forecast I saw for this morning looked quite bright, but by the time I left home cloud had rolled in and we are not due to see any sun until this afternoon. My morning walk to work was instead brightened by the busy bird activity, some of it quite close up.

First of all there were the usual blackbird, thrush, robin and wren all busy along Riverside Walk, then I stopped for a few minutes and watched a tree creeper climb a beech. Next was a bullfinch which was in no hurry to get off the path in front of me, followed by this cormorant in courting plumage on the favourite midstream perch.

Is that a diving helmet?
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
I am sure these blackthorn bushes blossom earlier every year.

Spring is on the way

I next noticed a robin less than a metre away at eye level which gave me a demonstration of its singing ability. Grack and Grock, just visible beneath Totnes bridge in the photo, appeared to have spotted me, as they swam across the river to intercept me as I continued along Riverside Walk. We met and I cast some feed out to them. A grand, life affirming morning walk.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
The high spring tides on Thursday and Friday will coincide with me going to work and as Riverside Walk will be flooded then, today was my last chance to go that way this week. The tide was receding, but parts of the path had puddles and a couple of places were still under water; the river had taken over the bank and Snipe Island was a true water meadow, the rivers Hems and Dart having merged together across it.

Tide swamped trees

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator

Vire Island Pombomb

Pombombs have appeared in a number of places in Totnes, intended to raise awareness of mental health problems following the suicide of Holly Cowlam in July 2018. I don't know if she had any local connection, but pombombs have been seen all over the globe since her family decided to do this.

#hollyspombombs on Twitter