we've pulled the trigger!

Bamber

Super Moderator
Congratulations on getting the deal sealed. Enjoy your new adventure.

squirt

Administrator
it's never been about our house, I've hated this house since the very first time I ever laid eyes on it lol
it is the DUMBEST house layout on the planet!
for instance, the 2 bathrooms are back to back, the one with the tub being the back one, and if someone's in the front one, the only way to the back one is through the master bedroom, the builders who saw it said that wouldn't even be legal now
it's always been about the location

the only reason this house is standing now is because the fire dept is literally just a few blocks away, and the police dept is right next door to the fire house, they were able to respond in a matter of a few minutes when this house caught fire ♥
the elementary school at the end of the block has educated my husband, my kids and my grandkids, and it doubles as a polling place, I don't know very many people who can walk to the end of their block and vote in all elections
the park across the street does summer camp type activities in the summer, and the pool is open all summer WITH lifeguard, at the end of every season, they do a Doggie Swim, it's a fantastic event!
we could sit on our roof and see fireworks to the north, south, east, and west of us (and have lol)
just minutes from here is anything I could ever want or need, from doctors and hospitals to international cuisine and fast food joints, from major shopping centers to mom & pop shops

for probably about 35 years, I dreamt of tearing this house down and building a 2 story where I could sit and watch the fireworks comfortably
it took me a few years to realize that the property could very well end up in our possession
but over the years, his mother stopped paying for repairs, she often talked about selling it, and we always thought she'd either sell it out from under us, or outlive us all, so we weren't going to pay for repairs either
now let me make one thing clear, even if she had or we had done repairs over the years, it sat here empty, unattended for 10 years, that means nobody was watering the foundation, and after we moved in, nobody told me we had to water a slab foundation, so I never watered it either, there's no way of knowing if it would've even made a difference either

the home only became ours last year, by that time, the foundation had deteriorated to the point of no return, we have cracks in the ceilings, walls, floors, the drive way is basically split in half, we've had to caulk cracks in the floor to keep ants out, and when you go outside, you can see in the brick several places where the house is cracking, it's literally falling apart, there are places where you can push on the brick and it gives ... lol hiding.gif
we had no choice, we HAD to do something, and that something started as a rebuild
that is what we REALLY wanted to do, and that hasn't changed, it's what we really wanted to do!
but the deeper we got into it, the more we saw what all would've been involved, we were fighting and we hadn't even started yet lol
but the bottom line is it was just too expensive, it would cost us too much and we would lose all equity in the place, replacing it with a mortgage close to $2,000 a month

when it was proposed that we didn't have to do it this way, we could buy a new place, take our time selling the old place, and not have to worry about having it empty by a construction date, we both listened, saw the wisdom in what was being said, and started looking at homes for sale, ya'll know what happened from there lol I'm not sorry we're moving on, I'm sorry we have to, life's about changes, nothing ever stays the same, and I've been so blessed to be able to live here for all these years, even in light of all the house troubles

now it's time to let a new family enjoy this location, it's true, I don't have little kids visiting much, and we're early voters now, we'd rather go vote early and avoid the lines, that has to be done at city hall, and the new house still has most of the wonderful amenities this house has, minus the fire station and police station and park, it's an exciting new adventure, one that we got a head start on thanks to this house, so I suppose we will have a bit of this house tied up in that one, and if/when there ever comes a day where we want or need to sell it, we're guaranteed to get our $100K back out of it, at the very least
all changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy, for what we leave behind is a part of ourselves, we must die to one life before we can enter into another, but there are far far better things ahead than any we leave behind bloomingrose.gif

Last edited:
That is a wonderful, interesting and uplifting story. Thank you for sharing part of your life with us. Wish I could give you a big hug in person but in lieu of that... 1556449568759.gif

squirt

Administrator
I'm starting to get excited! lol
we can start moving stuff in next Saturday, won't be able to spend the first night there until the 13th, but I'm taking my remaining week of vacation that week, which will help tremendously lol

1sendheart.gif

Just Debbie

Super Moderator
I am so happy for y'all. I think you both made the best sound decision. The past is the past and you can't go back and change it but you have the memories you can take with you for they are in your heart. You have new memories to be made and a new adventure. Life is like a roller coaster babe so just enjoy the ride! Congratulations! ♥

squirt

Administrator
I am so happy for y'all. I think you both made the best sound decision. The past is the past and you can't go back and change it but you have the memories you can take with you for they are in your heart. You have new memories to be made and a new adventure. Life is like a roller coaster babe so just enjoy the ride! Congratulations! ♥
much appreciated! 1smileyblowkiss070909.gif

squirt

Administrator
That is a wonderful, interesting and uplifting story. Thank you for sharing part of your life with us. Wish I could give you a big hug in person but in lieu of that... View attachment 59131
I can't tell you how much it's meant to me to have you here every step of the way
and I believe I owe you a hug! lol
smileyheart1.gif

Last edited:

squirt

Administrator
with tomorrow being my last Mother's Day here, I have an anecdote to share about our old house and our kids
when this house burned, my MIL collected the insurance, and gave us $5,000, we bought some land outside of Dallas with some friends, and spent about 5 years there, we then moved to California, and spent another 5 years there, and this house sat empty for 10 years
when hubby's grandfather died, he felt the need to be closer to his grandmother, he'd promised his granddad he'd help take care of her, so my MIL did what she could to make this house livable, and we came back to Dallas
so the kids are at the park playing, talking with other kids, who were telling them all about THIS house, according to local legend, there were some crazy people who lived here who'd set the house on fire, and even hints that the house was haunted
WE were the crazy people! lol laugh3.gif

with tomorrow being my last Mother's Day here, I have an anecdote to share about our old house and our kids
when this house burned, my MIL collected the insurance, and gave us $5,000, we bought some land outside of Dallas with some friends, and spent about 5 years there, we then moved to California, and spent another 5 years there, and this house sat empty for 10 years
when hubby's grandfather died, he felt the need to be closer to his grandmother, he'd promised his granddad he'd help take care of her, so my MIL did what she could to make this house livable, and we came back to Dallas
so the kids are at the park playing, talking with other kids, who were telling them all about THIS house, according to local legend, there were some crazy people who lived here who'd set the house on fire, and even hints that the house was haunted
WE were the crazy people! lol View attachment 60580
That's another good story. Thanks for passing it on, dear Squirt!

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
Of course your crazy you’ve stuck it out here on the Roo all these years lol
Lots and lots of memories there even some haunted ones yasssss!
But what a wonderful Mother’s Day present 💝
Remember you didn’t want to give up the van for anything but you did and have an
Awesome Durango now same thing goes for your new home it will be everything you want
and more ❤️ Can’t wait to hear all the new stories there 😃

squirt

Administrator
Of course your crazy you’ve stuck it out here on the Roo all these years lol
Lots and lots of memories there even some haunted ones yasssss!
But what a wonderful Mother’s Day present 💝
Remember you didn’t want to give up the van for anything but you did and have an
Awesome Durango now same thing goes for your new home it will be everything you want
and more ❤️ Can’t wait to hear all the new stories there 😃
it's gonna be like living in a hotel room, at least for awhile lol
except no maid service lol
we've got a lot to learn, about the security system, taking care of the pool and koi pond, garage door openers lol
I'm excited, and can't wait to get OUT of this house! lol
1high5.gif
1sendheart.gif

squirt

Administrator
we didn't take possession last night, we were supposed to meet up with them yesterday evening, we went by about 5:30, and they were loading stuff into a moving truck, and we didn't want to interrupt, so we went on and had dinner with Joel and his wife, then went back by about 7:30, the truck was gone, but they still had some stuff in the house, so we didn't use our key, I just left my letter for them in the door, and we came on home
woke up to an email from him, thanking me for the letter, and giving me a few tips, like the security code, and that some of the garage door openers had batteries, and others need them
Joel ended up sleeping here, so he and hubby went for pho', and we'll head over there when they get back
tomorrow starts early, for me anyway lol I need to be at the house around 9AM, maybe even earlier, but I'm shooting for 9AM
they're delivering our sofa, the gas gets turned on, which means the gas guy will have to come in the house to make sure all the pilots are lit, and our water gets turned on tomorrow
I may not be here much! lol we plan on sleeping there tomorrow, but we won't have internet until Wed
I should be here at the old house packing on Tuesday, so I'll check in then
I will be here in the morning for coffee lol
thank you one and all for the hand holding through this, you have my heart, for all my days heartburst1.gif

Bamber

Super Moderator
"God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm."

Here's hoping your move is mystery free.

Last edited: