What is it? #475

Bamber

Super Moderator
The legs on the centre one are roughly 5 inches, 125mm long

These can can be larger or smaller, but the ones shown are the most common size

What are they used for? The name would be a bonus.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Look like mesh or pipe lifters to me...
They are to do with lifting, but not mesh or pipe.

They have been about since at least Roman times, and it is possible that their name comes from a Latin term for lifting.

Toggles for stretching leather. Togliateles. Or could be taggliateles and used for stretching pasta.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
I'm trying to think what the Romans would use something as small as 5" ~ and can only think about a water bucket ~ into a well,
but that doesn't make sense either..........

Bamber

Super Moderator
There is some clever physics involved with these; they can lift much more than you would expect.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I don't believe I'm saying this ~ but maybe they are for lifting 'stones' sort of slabs cut for building
That's close enough. They are for lifting large blocks of masonry.

They are called lewis, lewisson or lewis pins.
A hole is drilled in the stone to be lifted and the legs of this placed in the hole. A rope is passed through the central ring and as the tension is taken up the legs spread within the hole, giving a secure hold on the block being lifted. The Romans used them extensively in raising sections of pillars.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Haha ~ well thanks guys ~ reminds me of that saying from Sherlock Holmes about 'if you discard all other possibilities what ever is left must be the answer' [or something like like] if it wasn't for Bamber's clue about physics and they lift much heavier objects ~ I would still be guessing........... LOL