What is it? #487

Jun 4, 2004
It's my bed time. I was about to tell you.

YES, they are called Nilometers, and were used to measure the water level from the annual inundation of the Nile valley. From this a good estimation could be made of the amount of grain which would be grown that year. This calculation would in turn be used to set the taxes for that year. So they were actually taxation calculators.

What struck me, when visiting al miqyas, was the gothic architecture. Built, a couple of 100 years before it flourished in Europe.
The guide was telling that if the Nile reached a certain level, there was a festival and religious leaders locked themselves up in here, all night.
Speaking of claustrophobia, I was already glad I was out within 1 hour.