What is it? #494

Bamber

Super Moderator
What was the reason for this unusual style of table spoon?
What are they known as?

The answer to either question wins.

As used by J.K.O. Edwards maybe? for eating eyeball soup when you don´t have teeth. So ball spoon.

J K O Edwards = Prof. Jimmy Edwards star of Wack-O and famous for handlebar moustache.
Large warm eh! = Big, ´ot, eh! or Bigote, Spanish for moustache.
My vote is for Stevent - Moustache Spoon.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
To easy Bamber: Moustache spoons.
Moustache spoons is correct.

In an era where the moustache was either a must have or a want to have item, gentlemen came up with a number of ways to make sure that their moustaches were maintained. One of the more popular ways to style a moustache during this time was to use wax, some men also liked to dye their moustache to give it a more vibrant appearance. The problem with both of these methods of moustache maintenance was that neither held up well to hot liquid; dye would run and wax would invariably melt and cause unsightly moustache drooping the second it came into contact with a hot liquid such as soup, so the moustache spoon became a much needed item in any well appointed home.

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
Well done Stevent, I have an advantage, I have had moustache and beard for about 40 years so, no, I´m not a hipster(I have long hair as well.)
Having had a mustache sense I was about 19 yes although have never used a mustache-spoon did have some coffee cups though. For every Sentinel event in my home town of Waupun, Wisconsin there were mustache & beard competitions in a lot of categories. And most of the men in the city then grew their beards out. Although I never really had a good beard back then my Statch was long and I wore it in a Fu Manchu style cause at that time I belonged to a motorcycle club. But on the competition came around I'd e curl it up in handlebars and win for the longest. And yes Pprey I also have had long hair sense then too my wife at that time would brad it and I'd tuck it in my belt in order for it not to hit me while riding my motorcycle. Ha!

My father also would win for the tightess & curlest reddness beard even though his hair was brown like mine. Ha! And he only started growing his beard less then six months in advance because at that time Postal Workers were always clean shaven.

Anyways Thanks for the Trophy.

Edit: Oh yes I have cut my hair three times for jobs too, always knew I could grow it back. Never have I tucked my hair under my hat and applied for a job like Arlo Guthrie. LOL! And remember once when I walked into my Grandma's house waiting for her to notice I had to ask her do you see anything different about me? She said no. And that is when I said I cut my hair. Only thing she said. "OOOH my oh my yes you have the only thing is is I only see my Grandson.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
J K O Edwards = Prof. Jimmy Edwards star of Wack-O and famous for handlebar moustache.
Large warm eh! = Big, ´ot, eh! or Bigote, Spanish for moustache.
My vote is for Stevent - Moustache Spoon.
Professor Jimmy Edwards was a founding member of the Guinea Pig Club, made up of members of WWII British and allied aircrew who had facial reconstruction surgery. He grew an enormous handlebar moustache to hide the scars.