What Is It? #513

Bamber

Super Moderator
For someone supposedly marking time until being made redundant I've been ridiculously busy recently, so not had much time for finding and setting the "What Is It?"

The WII this week comes courtesy of @AuroraAngel

Roughly 10 inches, 25 centimetres long,
can anyone tell me the function of these, or their name?

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
Top one looks like there are Indian phoenix bird or Egypt bird symbols.
Below that must be a newer one for the brass handle.
The other two I don't have a clue.

So my guess would be incent containers or black power holders.

Bamber

Super Moderator
on second thought ... are they musical instruments? ♪♫♪
Top left and right bottom look like rainsticks. (as if you need a stick for rain :cautious:)
No idea what the others might be.
so I am with Squirt, they are musical instruments
That covers it nicely. Yes they are rainsticks.

A rainstick is a long, hollow tube partially filled with small pebbles or beans that has small pins or thorns arranged helically on its inside surface. When the stick is upended, the pebbles fall to the other end of the tube, making a sound reminiscent of rain falling. The rainstick is believed to have been invented by the Mapuches and was played in the belief it could bring about rainstorms. It was also found on the Chilean coasts, though it is not certain if it was made by the Incas. Rainsticks are usually made from any of several species of cactus. The cacti, which are hollow, are dried in the sun. The spines are removed, then driven into the cactus like nails. Pebbles or other small objects are placed inside the rainstick, and the ends are sealed. A sound like falling water is made when the rainstick has its direction changed to a vertical position.

kipper

Super Moderator
A hollow wooden tube (or as we did at school, from empty toilet paper rolls :confused:) filled with beans or rice or anything that makes a noise......and you have an instrument.
Now that I come to think of it......I had a poor childhood. :cry:
Yeah we were taught more mundane things like Arifmatic, Inglish, and spellin....:oops: