What should I make for tea?

Vinnie

Need to do a shop and I'm just looking for inspiration!

Vinnie

Have you any suggestions for the meal I should prepare for the family repast on this evening? Tea, dinner, supper, evening meal.

Bamber

Super Moderator
A favourite in my family, cheap and easy:

Recipe for Athenian Mince

1lb minced steak
1 onion
12oz (ish) spuds
14 oz tin chopped tomatoes
1tsp mixed herbs
1 pint milk
2oz butter
2 oz plain flour
4 oz grated cheddar
1 egg separated.

Heat oven to Gas 5/190/375

Peel and boil potatoes until just cooked, slice.

Fry onion, then add mince and brown.
Add tomatoes and mixed herbs.
Cover and cook for 20 mins.

Make cheese sauce,
Melt butter, remove from heat and stir in flour, then add milk a bit at a time.
Return to heat and stir until thickened, remove and stir in egg yolk and cheese.
Whisk egg white until stiff, and fold into sauce.

Put half of mince in an ovenproof dish, layer with half of sliced potatoes and half cheese sauce, repeat with other half.

Cook for 40-45 mins until risen and golden on top.

ENJOY especially with large glass red wine !!!

Vinnie

hmmm, interesting. A sort of potato based lasagne! Might well go with this. Thanks!

I was planning to make salmon in a dill cream fraiche sauce with dark rice and roasted veggies.....
But I just had (because of Bamber) a change of plan!!
Thanks B!!

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
As I said, what my brother in law calls "minced Athenians" is a family favourite.

Vinnie

[QUOTE="LilMissPurrfect, post: 4411432]I was planning to make salmon in a dill cream fraiche sauce with dark rice and roasted veggies.....
But I just had (because of Bamber) a change of plan!!
Thanks B!!
[/QUOTE]

Sounds nice too but I can't get the girls to eat fish and frankly can't be bothered with the fight.

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
I don’t have a name for this, but like Bamber’s it’s a variation on a well known theme. It uses bacon bits – the scraps from the bacon slicer that I find in Asda (the British brand name for Wal-Mart), and some other shops. It has proved popular with all the people I have served it to, including some who don’t normally like Italian food.

Feeds 4

Ingredients:
400g (14 oz) fusili (or other pasta)
450g (1 lb) bacon bits
2 400g (14oz) cartons of chopped tomatoes
2 or 3 medium red onions
2 cloves of garlic
1tbsp oregano
2tbsp tomato ketchup
2tbsp sunflower oil
4 shakes of Lea & Perrin’s Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Peel and chop the onions and garlic. Trim the bacon bits to bite size. Cook the sunflower oil, onions and garlic in a wok for about five minutes over a low heat, then add the bacon and cook for a further five, turning frequently. Add the tomatoes, ketchup, Lea & P and oregano and bring to the boil, stirring thoroughly. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
While that is cooking, add the pasta to a large pan of boiling water (a tsp of sunflower oil will stop them sticking together) then reduce to a simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until ‘al dente’. Drain and put out onto 4 large plates, and cover with the mixture from the wok. Serve and enjoy!

Depending on what I have handy, I sometimes add mushrooms and/or peppers (capsicums) to the mix before the tomatoes.

Last edited:

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
I'm loving this thread! REAL food cooked by REAL people. :eggfry:

BTW...Geoff fed me his recipe and it was fabulous!!! If you live in the U.S., do NOT use what we call bacon bits. What he uses are the "trimmings" that have been sliced, but are less than perfect. If you can't find it here, just use regular bacon. The taste will be the same, but it will cost more.

(For our English friends...Here, "bacon bits" are precooked and freeze dried tiny bits to sprinkle on salads and so on.
And...Often they are imitation.)

KingHomie

Sex for Brains
hmmm, how about Mac 'n Cheese?

the King don't normally cook, I have the Royal staff for that,, lol

I do like the sound of the foods above and like Much Trouble I am getting Huuuuuunnngrrrrryyyyyy!!!!!!

Goodgrief

Always a favourite at GG's house.

Boneless, skinless chicken 1/2 breasts. (Depending on how many people your are feeding.)

I usually cut them in strips. Fry/saute the strips with a bit of extra virgin oil.
In a bowl, mix equal amounts of Dijon mustard and honey, add a dash of crushed chilies.
Once the chicken is done (clear juices), pour the mustard/honey sauce over the chicken.
Serve with any side you like!

Easy! Delicious!

Vinnie

The fancy name for bacon scraps would be Pancetta. At four times the price they are not worth it unless you are tying to impress.

The Athenian Mince went down very well except with Alex who had stuffed himself with sweeties. Suggestion from Gwen to substitute gnocchi for the potato but its definitely something I will make again.