What? Waht? HALF PAST THREE!

Vinnie

How do you, politely, let your in laws know that they are going a bit deaf?
We have them staying with us just now and with 3 youngsters in the house, 20, 19, 15, I've never been so aurally assaulted as I am just now!

KingHomie

Sex for Brains
why not just ask them if they have a hard time hearing you. Two of my friends asked me that and I said yes and that started a (positive) discussion about my hearing abilities. Now I have hearing aids, if I ever put them in,, :rofl:

squirt

Administrator
I would bet that they're already aware, I'm very much aware that I don't hear as well as I used to, I get lost in conversations, if the vent to the stove is on in the kitchen, I can't understand what's being said on the TV in the living room, things like that
I was trying to figure out how I would want it handled, maybe that's where you should start

Bamber

Super Moderator
Eh?

I've been the same as Squirt for years, can't hear a conversation in a crowd. Speaking louder only makes it worse as people in other conversations raise their volume, increasing the incomprehensible babble. Not the sort of thing you can get round with a hearing aid, I just have to tell people I'm not being antisocial, just have a hearing problem. I don't mind talking about it.

likeaneagle

[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 5112010]Eh?

I've been the same as Squirt for years, can't hear a conversation in a crowd. Speaking louder only makes it worse as people in other conversations raise their volume, increasing the incomprehensible babble. Not the sort of thing you can get round with a hearing aid, I just have to tell people I'm not being antisocial, just have a hearing problem. I don't mind talking about it.
[/QUOTE]

Eh?........ Can you hear me now?

Whisper!!

If they are anything like my ¨FIL¨, they can´t hear you properly when you speak in a normal volume but as soon as you don´t want them to hear what you say and speak as soft as you can, they seem to hear everything perfectly, loud and clear. :noidea:

squirt

Administrator
^ that was my dad! lol ♥

I've found that most people can relate!
one of the biggest areas where I struggle is with the self checkout units, when all 6 machines are going, the store is buzzing, I can't hear it ask for help, I have to rely on body language lol
people understand when I say I can't hear you! lol :lalala:

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="squirt, post: 5112172]^ that was my dad! lol ♥

I've found that most people can relate!
one of the biggest areas where I struggle is with the self checkout units, when all 6 machines are going, the store is buzzing, I can't hear it ask for help, I have to rely on body language lol
people understand when I say I can't hear you! lol :lalala:
[/QUOTE]
The SCOs in my local superstore all have poles with a light on top, as do the manned checkouts. The lights are normally green, red for attention required and yellow for a query (non-urgent attention).

squirt

Administrator
ours have a switch that a customer can flip that will make the light flash, but 99% of customers have no clue it's there, and that's only for 3 of the 6 machines lol

Bamber

Super Moderator
The lights on SCO are automatic (age verification, unknown barcode, etc). Customers have to attract the attention of the Priest or Priestess of the Tills if they require personal contact.

Vinnie

I think they are slowly coming to the realisation that the noise is too much for me! It's just strange that it's with the older generation I'm struggling with rather than the young!

I use the self-check-out and decided I'm mighty fine....

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal
[QUOTE="Vinnie, post: 5111877]How do you, politely, let your in laws know that they are going a bit deaf?
We have them staying with us just now and with 3 youngsters in the house, 20, 19, 15, I've never been so aurally assaulted as I am just now![/QUOTE]

I would guess if your honest with them and do the others in your family feel the same way I'd just tell them straight out have you ever thought about having a hearing test?

I know when my Mom and us kids got tired of hearing my Dad say "What" all the time we just asked him.

P.S. Although watch it cause when he got a hearing aid he'd turn down the T.V. so freaking low we couldn't hear it. Hahahahaa