Where are ALL the Deadheads Fans?!

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
Oh I love the Dead been to many many shows even passed out at a couple lol! Cool thread Queenie, Sugar Magnolia is one of my fav songs. New Years show were the Best especially when Billy Graham was alive and came out as Father Time.. Ahhh the good ole days I do miss Jerry, it will never be the same.

Ohhh Bob Weir you were such a hottie back then (far right) lol

What a long strange trip its been

Thanks for the memories

tumbleweed11855

A Premium Deadhead
thank you miss manzy.....yes the new years shows were the best....i brought in 1980, three shows in a row....it was one of the best times, or atleast from what i can remember.....

longwalker

Jokeroo Enthusiast
When I was young I was too impatient for the Dead. I'd trip to Hendrix and actually saw him twice at Cobo Hall in Detroit. But about a year before Jerry's death my brother and I were backpacking North Manitou Island off the west coast of Michigan, part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. We had taken some mushrooms and we were spending the day on the beach listening to music I'd brought along. I had two little battery powered speakers and a tape player. Much of the music was Terry Riley and Steve Reich. We thrilled to the visions the music inspired. As the night progressed we finally went to bed very worn from a long day. Of course I set the speakers up in the tent! I then played "Infrared Roses" and my image of the Dead was forever altered!
In the dark I could imagine images on the roof of the tent, but what struck me for the first time was the friendliness of the music. I recalled a friend who had met some of the band members at a hotel in Maryland and he made a point of how nice they were to him. I related his experience to the one I was having and took the music in a completely different light than I had any time before! My newfound sympatico opened the floodgates and I began collecting more Dead music. Prior to this time I had purchased Live/Dead back in '71. Ironically I never listened to it stoned back then. I listened to it as more of a jazz album and appreciated it for that alone. Quite frankly I still haven't listened to it while high, but that doesn't seem to matter.
I'm sorry I didn't take advantage of their local performances when they were $3.50 for a show. I finally went to see them the summer before Jerry died. It was fascinating to see the parking lot turn into a bazaar and watch the crowd move in unison to the band. Jerry looked tired that night and looking back now it seems like it may have been an indicator of his demise. The bands spirit will live forever, the music is truly transendent and will hold up eternally. They bring me joy daily!

LONG LIVE THE DEAD!,
Longwalker

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
tumbleweed11855 said:
thank you miss manzy.....yes the new years shows were the best....i brought in 1980, three shows in a row....it was one of the best times, or atleast from what i can remember.....
I love how back then we just didnt go to one show we went to every show that weekend lol! and even Sunday nites :huh: lol! I miss those days I had a BLAST!!!! at every show, people were so Happy and Friendly

These next tags are way Cool :inlove:

Merry Christmas Jerry

handymanmike92683

A Premium Jokaroo'er
WERE ALL RIGHT HERE
I'VE BEEN TO OVER 200 SHOWS
AND I CERTAINLY MISS THEM
GREAT THREAD !

<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->

The Grateful Dead
"live 1967"

"The Wall of Sound"

Graffiti in der
Haight Street, SF
(fotografiert 1996)

Das ehemalige
Wohnhaus
der Grateful Dead,
Ashbury Street 710
in San Francisco
(fotografiert 1996)​

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
longwalker said:
When I was young I was too impatient for the Dead. I'd trip to Hendrix and actually saw him twice at Cobo Hall in Detroit. But about a year before Jerry's death my brother and I were backpacking North Manitou Island off the west coast of Michigan, part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. We had taken some mushrooms and we were spending the day on the beach listening to music I'd brought along. I had two little battery powered speakers and a tape player. Much of the music was Terry Riley and Steve Reich. We thrilled to the visions the music inspired. As the night progressed we finally went to bed very worn from a long day. Of course I set the speakers up in the tent! I then played "Infrared Roses" and my image of the Dead was forever altered!
In the dark I could imagine images on the roof of the tent, but what struck me for the first time was the friendliness of the music. I recalled a friend who had met some of the band members at a hotel in Maryland and he made a point of how nice they were to him. I related his experience to the one I was having and took the music in a completely different light than I had any time before! My newfound sympatico opened the floodgates and I began collecting more Dead music. Prior to this time I had purchased Live/Dead back in '71. Ironically I never listened to it stoned back then. I listened to it as more of a jazz album and appreciated it for that alone. Quite frankly I still haven't listened to it while high, but that doesn't seem to matter.
I'm sorry I didn't take advantage of their local performances when they were $3.50 for a show. I finally went to see them the summer before Jerry died. It was fascinating to see the parking lot turn into a bazaar and watch the crowd move in unison to the band. Jerry looked tired that night and looking back now it seems like it may have been an indicator of his demise. The bands spirit will live forever, the music is truly transendent and will hold up eternally. They bring me joy daily!

LONG LIVE THE DEAD!,
Longwalker

Thanks for your story Longwalker.. any one thats been to a Dead show has one lol! I know the parking lot is amazing how it becomes a commune. Not only were you going to a Dead show you became part of a family. I'm really 'grateful' I was able to attend so many shows and my memories will always live on

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
handymanmike92683 said:
WERE ALL RIGHT HERE
GREAT THREAD !

<HR style="COLOR: rgb(0,0,255)" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->

The Grateful Dead
"live 1967"

"The Wall of Sound"

Graffiti in der
Haight Street, SF
(fotografiert 1996)

Das ehemalige
Wohnhaus
der Grateful Dead,
Ashbury Street 710
in San Francisco
(fotografiert 1996)

YES WE ARE all right there.. Its so Cool to reminisce about the Dead and our experiences. I remember I went to a Dead show on my birthday one year (dec 28) I was holding a rose and the band started to play Not fade away (I believe was the song) of course I faded away lol! next thing I knew I was on the floor and all these dead heads were asking are you alright? I said I dont think so lol!
Needless to say I went out in the hall for air and realized I had had enough celebrating for one night lol!

tumbleweed11855

A Premium Deadhead
<HR> "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo"
Words by Robert Hunter; music by Jerry Garcia
Copyright Ice Nine Publishing; used by permission
On the day that I was born
Daddy sat down and cried
I had the mark just as plain as day
which could not be denied
They say that Cain caught Abel
rolling loaded dice,
ace of spades behind his ear
and him not thinking twice

Half-step
Mississippi Uptown Toodleloo
Hello baby, I'm gone, goodbye
Half a cup of rock and rye
Farewell to you old southern sky
I'm on my way - on my way

If all you got to live for
is what you left behind
get yourself a powder charge
and seal that silver mine
I lost my boots in transit babe
A pile of smoking leather

Nailed a retread to my feet
and prayed for better weather

Half-step
Hello, baby, I'm gone, good-bye

They say that when your ship comes in
the first man takes the sails
The second takes the afterdeck
The third the planks and rails
What's the point to callin shots?
This cue ain't straight in line
Cueball's made of styrofoam
and no one's got the time

Half-step
Hello baby, I'm gone, goodbye

Across the Rio Grand-eo
Across the lazy river
Across the Rio Grand-eo
Across the lazy river

this is great.....i think we hit on a gold mine of memories....and the best thing is they are all good...

longwalker

Jokeroo Enthusiast
I resort to the Dead's music more than any other in order to be uplifted and feel that joy. As Jerry said "we're just a dance band and if people aren't dancing then we're doing something wrong". My heart dances to the Dead!

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
longwalker said:
I resort to the Dead's music more than any other in order to be uplifted and feel that joy. As Jerry said "we're just a dance band and if people aren't dancing then we're doing something wrong". My heart dances to the Dead!

Ohhhh I love The Bear necklace... thanks for sharing Longwalker :inlove:

tumbleweed11855

A Premium Deadhead
thank you carol, longwalker, and mike for making this an awesome thread!!!! Queen i think we hit on a good one.....
precious we will have fun on this one too!!!

longwalker said:

LONG LIVE THE DEAD!,
Longwalker

LW thank you for sharing that story!! Wow i was picturing it as i read!

Miss_Manzy said:
Oh I love the Dead been to many many shows even passed out at a couple lol! Cool thread Queenie, Sugar Magnolia is one of my fav songs. New Years show were the Best especially when Billy Graham was alive and came out as Father Time.. Ahhh the good ole days I do miss Jerry, it will never be the same.

Ohhh Bob Weir you were such a hottie back then (far right) lol

What a long strange trip its been

Thanks for the memories
Wooohoooooooooooo WELCOME MISS MANZ!!!

Yes Im gonna snag your pics thank you cause i have NOOO graphics. This great! Yeah I think this will be a pretty cool thread.
My partner in CRIME the ULIMATE DEAD HEAD has a stash full of Deadhead stuff1 break out the incense, mushrooms, bongs, tie dye, beads, VW vans, put some flowers in your hair, become a flower child, get a wash tub and slice up the fruit, pour ice and wine in it and get ready to experience our little psycodelic trip back into the world of the GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!

LOVE POWER~ PEACE

Miss_Manzy said:
I love how back then we just didnt go to one show we went to every show that weekend lol! and even Sunday nites :huh: lol! I miss those days I had a BLAST!!!! at every show, people were so Happy and Friendly

These next tags are way Cool :inlove:

Merry Christmas Jerry
Quote by Miss Manzy "I miss those days I had a BLAST!!!! at every show, people were so Happy and Friendly"

and you forgot...............HIGH!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha:D

Owaaaaah those are some COOL tags!!
You're the BOMB~Manz lol :colgate:

Miss_Manzy said:
YES WE ARE all right there.. Its so Cool to reminisce about the Dead and our experiences. I remember I went to a Dead show on my birthday one year (dec 28) I was holding a rose and the band started to play Not fade away (I believe was the song) of course I faded away lol! next thing I knew I was on the floor and all these dead heads were asking are you alright? I said I dont think so lol!
Needless to say I went out in the hall for air and realized I had had enough celebrating for one night lol!

And you back the next night for the 2nd or third show weren't YOU?!! lol:colgate:

handymanmike92683 said:
WERE ALL RIGHT HERE
GREAT THREAD !

<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->

The Grateful Dead
"live 1967"

"The Wall of Sound"

Graffiti in der
Haight Street, SF
(fotografiert 1996)

Das ehemalige
Wohnhaus
der Grateful Dead,
Ashbury Street 710
in San Francisco
(fotografiert 1996)​

Thank you Mike!! Glad you are here!!!

tumbleweed11855 said:
me and my granddaughter....a new deadhead....i hope it works...the pic that is!!!
AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah No didn't work on my end!!:(

Is it the bandana picture? ooooooooh that one is soooooooooooooooo cute!!