Why risk your life

Wiremaster

Jokeroo VIP Status
lestrex said:
In the light of the recent death of Steve Irwin , do you think that people who who put there life at risk in search of the big thrill or fame are selfish, because they know that if they die they will leave allot of people behind who love them loads, children moms and dads spouses etc
Also when these adventures go wrong they often put rescue services in danger as well.
life is so precious why should they gamble with it.
For example mountain climbers around the world risk there lives what for, does anybody really care if they get to the top.
Sailing across the ocean in a boat single handed might take them months and sometimes they die for what.
I believe in trying to achieve something in life is good for you, and staying alive for your family is a good place to start if you have a family its your duty to look after them for as long has they need you
How do you feel about it:crazy: or what
I don't normally get into the debates sections.
I have risked my life for the thrill in it, the competition, and yes the glory too. However the exhiliration in it lets you know you are alive, you are not the couch potatos that todays youth is becoming or computer nerds that never leave the safety of their homes.
Lets not forget that in any event all safety practices are in place that can be placed. There is always the unforseen thats going to happen and someone will get hurt or worse.
There is not as much risk actually there as the TV and the media depicts, they do not show the behind the scenes people there that are vigilant and ready to move at the first sign of a problem.
As far as Steve Irwin's death, it was a fluke that a docile animal could hit him with enough force to completley stop his heart, it is totally uncharacteristic of the sting ray.
You have a bigger chance of getting killed in a car accident or hit and run driver in any major city of the world than the so called thrill seekers actually face.
For Clarification, in my misspent youth I was a Street Racer and even us kids had safety gear and people in place.

you cant go through life without risk. you are taking a risk getting behind the wheel everyday. you just dont know whats going to happen. but you cant board yourself up and do nothing because that isnt living. but Im not saying climb a mountain

I dont think it fair to say that you have more chance of dieing crossing the road or catching the bus ,and then take even more risks by diving of a cliff, because all that does is increases your odds.
Some of the arguments seem to say unless you take risks then your life is to dull that is not true you dont have to risk your life to have an exciting life and meaningful one.

Last edited:

Flynn

Some people take risks that definitely benefit others.

I do a lot of occupational, health and safety work, one of the things I'm involved with is placing anchor points on commercial building rooves so that workers have safety lines to do a range of repair work.

Mountain climbers have set the bench mark for safety in building maintenance.

Wiremaster

Jokeroo VIP Status
lestrex said:
I dont think it fair to say that you have more chance of dieing crossing the road or catching the bus ,and then take even more risks by diving of a cliff, because all that does is increases your odds.
Some of the arguments seem to say unless you take risks then your life is to dull that is not true you dont have to risk your life to have an exciting life and meaningful one.
The risks you face in every day are so common place anymore they are not recognized as risks. For the majority Life consists of getting up going to work and coming home again and watching TV till bed time, start over in the morning, How exciting is that.
Risk takers are what formed this country and many others too, they were the ones that took the step into space, into the depths of the oceans. They did not just wake up one morning and decide to do these thing, they studied, mentally and physically prepared themselve to accomplish these things and push themselves to the limit and they do it for their own satisfaction, not the public opinion or for the millions of dollars they could make if they played organized sports.

Dutch said:
Well, that's where you have a race-track for. I think there's a difference between knowing what you are doing and doing it.
I have a skydiving license and while I was doing the course there was a special part about the parachute and malfunctions. Once you are aware of the dangers, you can minimalize them. You'd be surprized what it takes to make a parachute malfunction.
Not a race-track my friend

Has anyone given concideration for??
Police, Ambulance, SES, Fire Brigade and/or the equivelent in your country.
The ones that not only have to front your family but the accident itself?
My hat goes off to those people.

sybarite

Racing should definitely be confined to the race track. I cannot tell you how many times snowmobiles on the trail have come around the corner on my side, way out of control. It worries me especially since my grand-daughter rides with us now. We have a 55 MPH speed limit from dusk till dawn that just took effect this year. It doesn't help in the daytime when someone gets on a sled twice a year and thinks they're Jeff Gordon.

bugsieb

ok..my 2 cents worth....

Life is what you make of it....
for those that take the risks they actually set new and higher standards...some actually are benificial to others in the work force.

In taking risks.... there is nothing like the thrill of hte hunt...the push..the drive....the exhilleration...the blood pumping through your veins doing something new, something differnt, something trying!

Steve Irwin... died doing what he loved...not many people get to say that! This was his life..his passion. His family knew this and understood the dangers involved.

But as far as taking risks..yes everyday you take risks.. unconsiously.. but you do take risks. You die when it is your time to die....not when you say it is time to die..not when Ted says it is time to die.....not when the sting ray says it's time to die. NOPE only one ... the creator knows when it is time to go.

So go on living life to it's fullest! You never know when your time is up!

sybarite said:
Racing should definitely be confined to the race track. I cannot tell you how many times snowmobiles on the trail have come around the corner on my side, way out of control. It worries me especially since my grand-daughter rides with us now. We have a 55 MPH speed limit from dusk till dawn that just took effect this year. It doesn't help in the daytime when someone gets on a sled twice a year and thinks they're Jeff Gordon.
well EVERYONE in North Carolina thinks they're Jeff Gordan or something. Nascar is NOT a good thing i personally dont see the pleasure in watching somebody drive a car in circles for hours....but hey who am I to judge:plain:

squirt

Administrator
bugsieb said:
ok..my 2 cents worth....

Life is what you make of it....
for those that take the risks they actually set new and higher standards...some actually are benificial to others in the work force.

In taking risks.... there is nothing like the thrill of hte hunt...the push..the drive....the exhilleration...the blood pumping through your veins doing something new, something differnt, something trying!

Steve Irwin... died doing what he loved...not many people get to say that! This was his life..his passion. His family knew this and understood the dangers involved.

But as far as taking risks..yes everyday you take risks.. unconsiously.. but you do take risks. You die when it is your time to die....not when you say it is time to die..not when Ted says it is time to die.....not when the sting ray says it's time to die. NOPE only one ... the creator knows when it is time to go.

So go on living life to it's fullest! You never know when your time is up!
*claps hands* ... BRAVO!!!

sybarite

caramell said:
well EVERYONE in North Carolina thinks they're Jeff Gordan or something. Nascar is NOT a good thing i personally dont see the pleasure in watching somebody drive a car in circles for hours....but hey who am I to judge:plain:
I guess I will find out. Hubby and I are taking off tomorrow for North Carolina and Tennessee for ten days. Look out for the crazy Wisconsin driver. :crazy: :D

sybarite said:
I see the same, not on snow but gravel. People hire 4X4s and think they can do anything. The sad thing is oneday I could be the one they hit.

jungleboy

Sugar Bear said:
Do you include the military in this "equation" as well?
Good question.

Note: There is a joy of taking a risk . . . and surviving ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! WOW what a rush !

And I agree with MA, Squirt, Dutch , and all the risky people, 'One should check the odds and prepare, but take the chance!'

Hi WM, yep when I was younger, I loved to drive fast too.

sybarite, Enjoy N.C. great place

Anna

Jokeroo VIP Status
kiki5711 said:
That's a good question. Especially about the ones climbing mountains! To me, totally pointless, who cares who climbed the biggest mountain and fought rain, snow and possibly falling to their death on the way.! For absolutely no reason other than sport.

However, most of us gamble with life some time or another in different ways. I know I did. We can't just live in a shell, in a ultra safe neighbrohood in a nice town, city and country. It does not exist except in movies.

Oh, and if I had plenty of money to even be able to do any of those things such as sailing, mountain climbing, etc.....I might consider it or if not that something else. But I don't have that luxury so I don't even think about it.
They always say they need the thrill-and do it for the thrill-on the other hand-
for me they gain a lot of popularity aswell--write books --sell there film..and get rich and famous-
the mountain climber Reinhold Messmer lives in a castle in the alps !:notify:
As im not a sporty person..I cant feel with them either-maybe it is a bit like the thrill of speed-like in a car or bike-surely it must be getting like a drug-obsession for them-the kick they get out of it must be higher then thinking about the risks

So do we tell our children go one enjoy yourself take on a dangerous past time dont worry about dying at least you will enjoy yourself, me and mom will understand and maybe when your own kids grow up we can watch them enjoy themselves to, what a thrill that will be
I think to deliberately put your life at risk for the soul concern of personal enjoyment is selfish we have responsibility to our loved ones old and young and we should honor them.
Its like telling your kids that drugs are great, i used them nearly killed ,me but wow it was fun so if you fancy trying them go ahead we wont mind

Patrish

A Premium Jokaroo'er
lestrex said:

Statistically Steve Irwin was the third person ever to die this way.

I dont know if it was considered a risk, when the actual fatality of it was so low.

Now mountain climbing isnt my thing.
BUT older research showed some ppl take more risks because of certain chemicals are lacking in their brain.

Ppl who have too much of a certain chemical are less likely to do risky behaviors.

Some call it a death wish.

I have no opinion, because we are all so vastly different.

And yes, riding a plane, in a car, or skate boarding can cause death.

When it is your time, it is your time.:exclamati